Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2023, 02:44 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,880,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Oh, I had no idea. So, you actually own this Carolina Reaper? or this NTSX?

That's pretty intriguing. I am sure they have fees.
i posted in the post your trades thread yesterday that i was playing around with it .

these are etf funds , like all etfs the fees are already in the fund price so nothing is taken out additional

those returns include fund expenses

i am trying the carolina reaper version

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-13-2023 at 02:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2023, 02:45 AM

Quote:
I guess asness said this in November "Bonds are starting to look pretty, pretty reasonable. Equities on the other hand, globally, but particularly in the U.S., kind of look like they're whistling past the graveyard,"

I've got work to do TTYL gator.
well if this years returns are whistling past the graveyard i will burst in to singing .

in the mean time the carolina reaper uses leveraged bond funds too , so they carry a lot of weight which is where the " as safe as a 60/40" comes in .

there is a whole risk parity thing going on internally with these portfolios .

so yes back testing has shown them to generate higher returns without taking on more risk but in todays world they dont have much history .

so i am dipping my toes in one to see for myself

it involved buying 3 etfs

you cant buy these funds in a 401k but after agreeing to certain disclosures on them you can buy them in an ira or taxable account

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-13-2023 at 02:53 AM..

Old 12-13-2023, 02:52 AM

7,595 posts, read 3,254,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
well if this years returns are whistling past the graveyard i will burst in to singing .

in the mean time the carolina reaper uses leveraged bond funds too , so they carry a lot of weight which is where the " as safe as a 60/40" comes in .
His comment was November 2023. Maybe he's pulled out or hedged who knows. It makes me want to throw up thinking about it. It's fun when it goes up and not so fun when it drops.

Old 12-13-2023, 03:00 AM

these leveraged funds are still pretty new and they can have unintended consequences…

but i am open to trying different methods of growing and preserving what we have as long as volatility stays within the range i want to be .

this is all long term money so it has decades still to work through any down turns.
so i put a bit in the reaper and let’s see how it does

Old 12-13-2023, 03:35 AM

Quote:
these leveraged funds are still pretty new and they can have unintended consequences…

but i am open to trying different methods of growing and preserving what we have as long as volatility stays within the range i want to be .

this is all long term money so it has decades still to work through any down turns.
so i put a bit in the reaper and let’s see how it does

I like the concept (a lot).

I understand it's money you do not think you will utilize in your lifetime.

Old 12-13-2023, 04:20 AM

Quote:
I like the concept (a lot).

I understand it's money you do not think you will utilize in your lifetime.
who knows one day it may replace my growth and income portfolio which is our biggest segment , but for now i just want to see how it acts.

i like the idea the reaper brings a market segment into play most of us don’t get involved with and that’s is managed futures contracts.

those are well beyond anything i would do on my own and it adds a level of risk parity the other portfolios lack.

maybe later i will start a thread on these models as they dont belong here

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-13-2023 at 04:31 AM..

Old 12-13-2023, 07:35 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,056,566 times
Quote:
Why tout 100% equities on the retirement forum? I was 100% equities in 2000 and 2008. Fun times. That's how I learned my risk tolerance wasn't what I thought it was. We have 2000 incoming. The market would be down if not for the magnificent 7. Which means? It means when it gets flushed down the toilet it's going to be more like 2000 than 2008.
I was 100% S&P 500 & Total Stock Market Index Funds from 1996, after I had paid off the mortgage and could invest, until 2020 when mom died and I inherited other funds. It requires absolute faith in the upward trend of the stock market. This is not something I can pass on to others. This kind of faith comes from within.

Old 12-13-2023, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I was 100% S&P 500 & Total Stock Market Index Funds from 1996, after I had paid off the mortgage and could invest, until 2020 when mom died and I inherited other funds. It requires absolute faith in the upward trend of the stock market. This is not something I can pass on to others. This kind of faith comes from within.
I started too late. In 2000 that was only Year 3 for me. I had done a lot of studying. But, not enough on the behavioral aspects. I should have leaned into real estate (more than just my residence) had I known myself better.

Old 12-13-2023, 11:35 AM

Quote:
who knows one day it may replace my growth and income portfolio which is our biggest segment , but for now i just want to see how it acts.

i like the idea the reaper brings a market segment into play most of us don’t get involved with and that’s is managed futures contracts.

those are well beyond anything i would do on my own and it adds a level of risk parity the other portfolios lack.

maybe later i will start a thread on these models as they dont belong here

Oh, I think that would be an interesting thread.

Old 12-13-2023, 03:02 PM

334 posts, read 662,802 times
IMO 401K is not as good as the now near exctinct pensions, but they still are an essential component of good retirement. If you start with them very early in life and gradually raise your contribution rate as you get older you will do fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement