Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2023, 12:33 PM

48,564 posts, read 34,941,456 times

Advertisements

And most of the pet owners I know have pets that sleep with them.

It's fine either way, but not so uncommon as to be in shock about the whole thing. I have 100 lb dog that spoons.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2023, 12:41 PM

2,868 posts, read 1,817,139 times
Teacher Terry, Thanks for the mention of the product, where one may purchase. My neighbor dog sits, takes them out every 2 hours. Still, sometimes accidents happen on her area rug. Maltese ? ! Our rescues, at different times, Serafina Joy, Mattie Rose; understand many names in Chinese, means much loved !

On topic ? Go into town ? Live alone, sometimes during the day, you're the only ones I communicate. When I have mentioned you as friends to live people, think I'm weird. So this weird vintage female, is still learning. What to say, most importantly, 2 ears, 1 mouth, Listen ! 2 ears, listen more, 1 mouth, talk less !

Sun is shining ! Rare day, usually GREY on the Olympic Peninsula. 2nd day of Hanukkah; find it interesting, one lights the Menorah, Christmas, celebrate the Light of the World, Jesus the Savior/Messiah.

Old 12-08-2023, 01:00 PM

7,674 posts, read 3,305,600 times
I let my cats sleep with me and I launder the bedding (all of it) very frequently. I use all cotton and launder everything on very hot and steam with laundry sanitizer. I use expensive crystal cat litter. I have always been a clean freak. I have no issues with my cats sleeping in my beds. I have been doing it forever without consequences.

Old 12-08-2023, 01:12 PM

7,182 posts, read 4,585,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I let my cats sleep with me and I launder the bedding (all of it) very frequently. I use all cotton and launder everything on very hot and steam with laundry sanitizer. I use expensive crystal cat litter. I have always been a clean freak. I have no issues with my cats sleeping in my beds. I have been doing it forever without consequences.
It’s especially nice to have a furry companion sleep with if you live alone). I wash my bedding more frequently because of the dogs.

Sera, you can buy the product online. I bought a big jug so it lasts a long time. I would look on Amazon.

Old 12-08-2023, 01:25 PM

48,564 posts, read 34,941,456 times
We have a dog blanket on the bed, that he mostly stays on. I just wash everything more often.

He has very short hair, doesn't shed, and is extremely clean. I had a black light to look for horn worms and I checked out his bed, 3 years, hadn't washed it, not a spot.

I AM a little more skittish of the new dog, she does not tend towards clean... so if she were to sleep in bed I would probably wipe her down first. For now she is still being crate trained.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-08-2023, 01:55 PM

24,652 posts, read 10,989,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, this morning, I had to escape to work because the constant reel of kitten antics were driving me crazy. From awaking me at 0125 by peeing on the bed to deciding it was time to get up then and not be in the Mistress Citadel for the night, to being hard to feed them, etc, etc, etc..

Now, I suppose, if I didn't have to work, I would have pulled some Jed I mind trick to calm me down.......but is that part of it, to find some reason, useful or not, to get out of the house? Is that easier than employing mental training?
You may want to offer access to an adequate number of clean litterboxes.

Old 12-08-2023, 01:58 PM

7,674 posts, read 3,305,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
It’s especially nice to have a furry companion sleep with if you live alone). I wash my bedding more frequently because of the dogs.

Sera, you can buy the product online. I bought a big jug so it lasts a long time. I would look on Amazon.

Yes, much simpler. less liability and more affordable than another human too. And, their souls are pure. They are very good snugglers

Old 12-08-2023, 02:33 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,042,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I had cats all my life. The were never allowed into my bedroom, (unless I was vacuuming LOL - my last one hid in my closet) and certainly not on my bed. Cats tromp though a litter box - how does anyone allow that on their bed??? I seriously have never understood it. People that let their cats up on their kitchen counters...? Yeah. That's a big no. And I LOVE cats!!
Totally the opposite. When it is time to go to bed, I call "Beddy Byes!" and try to get them all into the Bedroom Citadel and then close and lock the bedroom door. Fire safety, doncha know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mTQ2tjM_OU

Further, the bedroom complex is like a Citadel or a Keep, an assortment of rooms that can be cordoned off from the rest of the house.

FURTHER, when we were on wildfire evacuation alert, I had them all closed up in the Citadel with their pet taxis at ready and keep them there like that over the weekend. We didn't get the call to bail but if we had to, they were all in one place where they couldn't get away from me, where I could scoop them up and book.

As it is said, they are family......and I wouldn't leave them in potential harm's way....or leave them at all.

Old 12-08-2023, 04:28 PM

24,652 posts, read 10,989,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Totally the opposite. When it is time to go to bed, I call "Beddy Byes!" and try to get them all into the Bedroom Citadel and then close and lock the bedroom doo r. Fire safety, doncha know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mTQ2tjM_OU

Further, the bedroom complex is like a Citadel or a Keep, an assortment of rooms that can be cordoned off from the rest of the house.to pee and poop during g the night.

FURTHER, when we were on wildfire evacuation alert, I had them all closed up in the Citadel with their pet taxis at ready and keep them there like that over the weekend. We didn't get the call to bail but if we had to, they were all in one place where they couldn't get away from me, where I could scoop them up and book.

As it is said, they are family......and I wouldn't leave them in potential harm's way....or leave them at all.
Fireproof it may be but they have needs.

Old 12-08-2023, 04:33 PM

23,369 posts, read 18,968,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
And most of the pet owners I know have pets that sleep with them.

It's fine either way, but not so uncommon as to be in shock about the whole thing. I have 100 lb dog that spoons.
This. Not that I care what other pet owners do one way or the other. Sometimes the pet has no interest. One of my previous dogs wouldn't sleep on my bed even though she was welcome (I'd love the body heat...I'm alone and leave my bedrooms chilly). I even bought my first queen mattress to encourage her. Didn't take. Her "proper" place in the house was simply elsewhere. My last dog was a great bed buddy. She was a fastidious self-groomer with a non-oily coat. Bits of the outdoors never stayed on it long and she had literally no doggy odor (cattledogs are known for this dingo trait). She'd spoon/snuggle on top of the dog blanket just right without hogging space, wasn't restless, didn't churn the covers nestmaking, didn't snore, nothing. You wouldn't find her on the bed unless I was already there.

When I was growing up my parents usually had Scotties. Even if they had allowed dogs on the furniture they wouldn't end up on beds because they couldn't jump that far. You'd need to pick them up and place them there. My mother would relent if one of us kids was home sick. We'd get a special treat of a dog on the bed. Amazing how much of a kid's bed just one Scotty can hog. She'd come in the room to find sick kid crammed into a corner and the Scotty sprawled blissfully across the rest of it .

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-08-2023 at 05:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement