Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2023, 04:55 PM

7,197 posts, read 4,596,865 times

Advertisements

I have dog steps because they are so small. One wraps his tiny self around my neck and I can feel his breath on my neck. He’s the second dog I have had that likes to sleep like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2023, 05:02 PM

23,391 posts, read 19,006,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I have dog steps because they are so small. One wraps his tiny self around my neck and I can feel his breath on my neck. He’s the second dog I have had that likes to sleep like that.
My previous dog was a rescue. Most likely dumped by a shady breeder. I don't think she was physically abused, just ignored and subsequently neglected when she didn't turn out to be a money-making herding prospect. She was painfully eager to please everyone dog or human, doormat submissive and would never have the gall to start anything with anybody, let alone direct them to go anywhere. With one exception: she'd go after a vole or squirrel. Nothing larger. She never played with toys...household objects belonged to the boss, not her. She wouldn't touch them. She was afraid of the most innocuous household things...including dropped socks. When she first arrived she'd sleep right on top of me with her nose pressed against my cheek (she weighed 35 lbs). Gradually, as she became secure in the knowledge she was loved for herself and would never be dumped, she graduated to sleeping next to me instead.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-08-2023 at 06:09 PM..

Old 12-08-2023, 06:39 PM

7,197 posts, read 4,596,865 times
Parnassia, the dog was very lucky to have such an understanding mom as you! It’s really sad when animals are neglected. All dogs want to do is please and be with their owners.

Old 12-08-2023, 08:00 PM

4,854 posts, read 3,657,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
During the weekend, while it would be the ideal time for shopping between time and my energy levels, I often don't. I don't leave the ranch unless I have to because, afterall, M-F, I have to go into town, anyway, for work.

But once we retire, is this a habit that is ingrained into us? To find a reason to have to go into town, anyway?
Before I retired, I swore I'd never shop (go into town) on the weekends or after 4pm. As a working person I was legit annoyed with older people shopping during these times when I assumed they could shop anytime they please (I know, don't comer after me)...

So I shop during the week and avoid going out on weekends or in the evenings.

Old 12-08-2023, 08:46 PM

48,580 posts, read 34,966,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
My previous dog was a rescue. Most likely dumped by a shady breeder. I don't think she was physically abused, just ignored and subsequently neglected when she didn't turn out to be a money-making herding prospect. She was painfully eager to please everyone dog or human, doormat submissive and would never have the gall to start anything with anybody, let alone direct them to go anywhere. With one exception: she'd go after a vole or squirrel. Nothing larger. She never played with toys...household objects belonged to the boss, not her. She wouldn't touch them. She was afraid of the most innocuous household things...including dropped socks. When she first arrived she'd sleep right on top of me with her nose pressed against my cheek (she weighed 35 lbs). Gradually, as she became secure in the knowledge she was loved for herself and would never be dumped, she graduated to sleeping next to me instead.
I'm so happy she found you.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-08-2023, 08:57 PM

37,497 posts, read 61,517,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Before I retired, I swore I'd never shop (go into town) on the weekends or after 4pm. As a working person I was legit annoyed with older people shopping during these times when I assumed they could shop anytime they please (I know, don't comer after me)...

So I shop during the week and avoid going out on weekends or in the evenings.
We have both agreed to schedule all of our outings during daylight if at all possible.

Before the plannedemic we both served on various committees, most of which only met at night. During the plannedemic all of those meetings shifted to online video chats.

With this recent change, we have both noticed that driving at night feels a lot more stressful. We still go to the community theater to watch a play that gets out after dark, or if there is some Shriners dinner dance, or maybe when the American Legion has something interesting, or some other social events. But we have completely stopped going out if it means driving both ways at night.

Old 12-08-2023, 09:06 PM

7,704 posts, read 3,319,818 times
BRK has fuzzy stairs to get on the bed in her old age.

Old 12-08-2023, 11:54 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,055,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We have both agreed to schedule all of our outings during daylight if at all possible.

Before the plannedemic we both served on various committees, most of which only met at night. During the plannedemic all of those meetings shifted to online video chats.

With this recent change, we have both noticed that driving at night feels a lot more stressful. We still go to the community theater to watch a play that gets out after dark, or if there is some Shriners dinner dance, or maybe when the American Legion has something interesting, or some other social events. But we have completely stopped going out if it means driving both ways at night.
Since I live in a wilderness district with a one lane road, at night I drive 5-8 below the speed limit......much to the dislike at those who drive the speed limit or faster. Further, I am not one to further light pollution in the country by driving with my high beams on.

The Subaru still has its scars from a deer hit a few years ago and I see enough of them to know it wasn't a chance occurrence. Just last night as I was getting home, there was young buck running along my fence line....and he ducked thru the open gate into the dark of my ranch.

Old 12-09-2023, 04:38 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,050,196 times
Weekends are so busy and traffic is so dense. I prefer to do as much as possible during the week. I don't always feel that I am making the best use of my time on weekends...sometimes a bit too much downtime. But I despise the crowds.

Old 12-09-2023, 07:21 AM

88,691 posts, read 85,035,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
It is possible to be a "pet person" and NOT allow them in bed with you.
Most people I know don't let them in their bed.
My big fat boy sleeps on my bed when he feels like it. I don't see why that's a problem. He's an indoor cat. It's not as if he's bringing bugs to me. It's not as though I'm somehow cleaner and more pure because I am a human animal and not a feline one. Every see the photos of the microscopic things that live in your eyelashes? We are riddled with tiny life forms that live on and in our bodies.

But if he had a problem with peeing outside the litter box, I would not let him sleep in my bed. Trying to get that out of a mattress? Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement