Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2023, 08:20 AM

7,204 posts, read 4,601,558 times

Advertisements

As to Mogel’s statement that there’s “no hunger in America “ as a former social worker I can tell you that’s not true as can my friends that worked in the public schools as teachers. I had 3 brothers in my caseload that were born with normal intelligence that ended up intellectually disabled because of lack of food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2023, 08:25 AM

106,911 posts, read 109,176,429 times
i don’t think lack of food is nearly as bad as the lack of healthy nutritious food is in america

Old 12-21-2023, 08:55 AM

10,785 posts, read 5,718,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
As to Mogel’s statement that there’s “no hunger in America “ as a former social worker I can tell you that’s not true as can my friends that worked in the public schools as teachers. I had 3 brothers in my caseload that were born with normal intelligence that ended up intellectually disabled because of lack of food.
How is it determined that one is born with normal intelligence?

Old 12-21-2023, 09:51 AM

5,252 posts, read 6,182,542 times
For some of us that have family members and close friends that are having a hard time economically in retirement these statistics and graphs and links to government data don’t really mean anything or have any value. If you are having a hard time getting by it is fact, not data saying otherwise.

We should all know by now that data can be viewed and twisted to represent differing opinions and arguments.

Many in this retirement forum have done extremely well in planning for retirement and most likely currently live within a social circle that are like minded and have also done well and perhaps aren’t familiar with those less fortunate.

All I can say is we should have a bit of compassion for those not as fortunate. Not everyone was lucky enough to have the ability to fully prepare and fund themselves for retirement.

We are one of those being retired doing it well but it haunts me to see those around me just trying to make ends meet. We do what we can to help.

Old 12-21-2023, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
For some of us that have family members and close friends that are having a hard time economically in retirement these statistics and graphs and links to government data don’t really mean anything or have any value. If you are having a hard time getting by it is fact, not data saying otherwise.

We should all know by now that data can be viewed and twisted to represent differing opinions and arguments.

Many in this retirement forum have done extremely well in planning for retirement and most likely currently live within a social circle that are like minded and have also done well and perhaps aren’t familiar with those less fortunate.

All I can say is we should have a bit of compassion for those not as fortunate. Not everyone was lucky enough to have the ability to fully prepare and fund themselves for retirement.

We are one of those being retired doing it well but it haunts me to see those around me just trying to make ends meet. We do what we can to help.
Appropriately planning for one’s retirement doesn’t require luck. It requires a lifetime of good decisions.

Old 12-21-2023, 10:29 AM

5,252 posts, read 6,182,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Appropriately planning for one’s retirement doesn’t require luck. It requires a lifetime of good decisions.
And a lifetime of good decisions can be wiped away with cancer or the death of a partner.

Perhaps I should have used the term good fortune or opportunity instead of luck.

Old 12-21-2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:
And a lifetime of good decisions can be wiped away with cancer or the death of a partner.

Perhaps I should have used the term good fortune or opportunity instead of luck.
Possibly (depends on how good the decisions were). But such situations are not the norm, and are not generally the reason for people not being financially ready for retirement.

Old 12-21-2023, 01:15 PM
JRR

8,181 posts, read 5,689,411 times
Quote:

For me it was pure luck. In 1993 I was a high school dropout who had lost my job in the tire and auto service business due to a friend of the owner's son getting out of drug rehab and needing a job. The only job I could get in our town was in the warehouse of a retail store for $200 a week.

One Sunday I was at the local grocery and picked up an Orlando Sunday newspaper just on a whim; something I had not done for several months. In it was an ad for a national financial services company looking for people to train for their securities license for a large call center they were opening in Orlando.

Despite my lack of education, I interviewed and got a position. Two weeks into my training the company advertised for four positions for another department they were going to also open in Orlando. My wife interviewed and got one of those positions.

Long story short, we both wound up getting multiple securities licenses and retired after 21 years with the company.

But it was dumb luck that we needed something from the grocery that day and luck again that I decided to pick up that newspaper.

Old 12-21-2023, 01:23 PM

106,911 posts, read 109,176,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Possibly (depends on how good the decisions were). But such situations are not the norm, and are not generally the reason for people not being financially ready for retirement.
success is where drive , skill and preparation meet luck and opportunity.

loads of people either don’t recognize an opportunity or are not prepared to take advantage of one

Old 12-22-2023, 07:17 AM

7,961 posts, read 3,912,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Why do you feel sorry for folks who made choices and live with the results? Many of my high school friends, for example, spent 20 or 30 years going to bars a couple of nights a week, having a good time, and now they are reaping the rewards of that with a 50 year old single wide and a bad liver. It was their choice, and they enjoyed their choices. Why feel sorry for them?

I just don't get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Sorry, but you are being judgmental, not sympathetic. It is their life to live, and they are entitled to live it as they wish, not as you wish. And most of those high school friends of mine, if given the opportunity for a do over, would not change a thing. They have a different definition of "success" than you or I, and they are allowed to pursue it.

Can't rep you again without being promiscuous with reps - great observations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement