Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2023, 07:27 AM

7,855 posts, read 3,843,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
So you mean the ultra rich - that is just 3 people - what you seem to want is confiscation not taxing - that is mostly done in 3rd world dictatorships.

Min wage is inconsequential - according to BLS, only about 0.17% currently work for min wages.

The rest seems like rants - again the rich already pay almost all taxes. The average american pays zero in net income tax - those above the average (top 50%) are paying 98% of the tax. The top 1% pay 42% of the tax and are paying an average of 26%, not 8%. The tax rate on investments is 23.6% - the "study" counts income that is not subject to tax (initial investment) to get that silly 8% figure - the data is also from when Obama was in office (2010 to 2018) before the Trump "tax cuts".

BTW - Qualify as a CEO if you want those salaries (and taxes associated).

And the stuff about Lear jets and churches is off the wall out of touch and is not at all related to SS. SS is paid as FICA by employers and employees, it does not come from income taxes. Your average church often has a hard time paying its clergy, let alone a yacht or a private plane. Maybe you don't know but IRS rules require clergy to pay their own FICA as self employed - they are not considered employees.

Bottom line, cut spending, not increasing taxes.
It appears rodentraiser means something in addition to confiscation. It appears rodentraiser also means no one should have economic success, period -- everyone should have their standard of living reduced to her standard of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2023, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
As to Mogel’s statement that there’s “no hunger in America “ as a former social worker I can tell you that’s not true as can my friends that worked in the public schools as teachers. I had 3 brothers in my caseload that were born with normal intelligence that ended up intellectually disabled because of lack of food.
What you describe is conscious intentional & criminal child abuse not systemic hunger: the parents decided to starve their children -- all the while those parents had access to SNAP (food stamps) and a plethora of other social safety net programs that provide both cash and in-kind services while children have access to food in schools. Even during the pandemic when schools closed, most school districts were providing free food to all students.

Last edited by moguldreamer; 12-22-2023 at 08:01 AM..

Old 12-22-2023, 08:24 AM

7,156 posts, read 4,557,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
What you describe is conscious intentional & criminal child abuse not systemic hunger: the parents decided to starve their children -- all the while those parents had access to SNAP (food stamps) and a plethora of other social safety net programs that provide both cash and in-kind services while children have access to food in schools. Even during the pandemic when schools closed, most school districts were providing free food to all students.
It wasn’t intentional child abuse but someone poor not understanding how to access services. Do you realize if a single parent on welfare goes to school to train for a job that snap cuts their food stamps because of the financial aid they receive? However, that aid has to pay for books and tuition.

It happened to my neighbor who thought she was going to have to quit because of it but us and a few others gave her food to see her through. It was a sacrifice because we were all young with our own families. However, she completed the schooling and obtained a full time job and never needed help again.

Old 12-22-2023, 10:01 AM

Quote:
It wasn’t intentional child abuse but someone poor not understanding how to access services.
I don't believe it.

Everywhere there are signs targeting poor people on how to sign up for services including food stamps.

Quote:
Do you realize if a single parent on welfare goes to school to train for a job that snap cuts their food stamps because of the financial aid they receive?
Do you realize if that same single parent (a) made the choice to study while in school and (b) made the choice to get a good job and (c) made the choice to marry prior to producing offspring... well there would be no problem in the first place?

Old 12-22-2023, 07:28 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,903,157 times
Quote:

Do you realize if that same single parent (a) made the choice to study while in school and (b) made the choice to get a good job and (c) made the choice to marry prior to producing offspring... well there would be no problem in the first place?
Do YOU realize that there are seniors who can't work who lost their pensions or their jobs and need food stamps to survive? Do YOU realize that you can become disabled in a moment and your savings wiped out by a single hospital bill? Do YOU realize that many women are single mothers because their husbands - NOT their boyfriends or their baby daddies - decided to bail? Do YOU realize that married couples can face medical emergencies, loss of jobs, or a sick child, that will totally make them insolvent? Do YOU realize that studying in school and graduating high school and college in no way guarantees a well paying job?

Quote:
There is no such thing as "trickle down economics." It is a straw man invented by progressives so as to have something to argue against.

The first known instance of the use of "trickle down" was by humorist Will Rodgers in the 1930s. It is not a theory of economics. Review the course catalog of every major research university in America and you will not find a single class of the form "Econ 206: Trickle Down Economics." Look at the faculty: you will never find someone labeled "The Goldman Sachs Distinguished Service Professor of Trickle Down Economics."

But thanks for playing.
Reaganomics in the 80s.

"Based on the principles of supply-side economics and the trickle-down theory, Reaganomics proposed that decreases in taxes, especially for corporations, stimulate economic growth. If the expenses of corporations are reduced, the savings then "trickle down" to the rest of the economy, spurring overall growth."

Trickle down is why Reagan cut taxes for the rich and for the corporations. It didn't work. Nothing trickled down. It's one of the reasons CEOs got so much richer in the 80s. They took the tax cuts and kept them instead of passing them down.

Question: were you in isolation that you didn't hear about Reagan and his trickle down economics?

Quote:

There is no hunger in America, period.
Oh. My. God.

Dude, you need a HUGE reality check. I can't even. Harry Chapin would have disagreed with you. Jeff Bridges would disagree with you. Every social worker, every coal miner in Appalachia, every teacher would disagree with you. The people who make up lunches for kids so they can eat on weekends would be just...like me, absolutely speechless at your remark.

If you are in this amount of denial about conditions in the US, then I think, like trying to talk to antivaxxers and the-world-is-flat people, there's just no more carrying on a conversation with you.

All I can say is, you need to get out more. You need to go to Vegas and talk to the people living in the tunnels there. You need to go out to Kentucky and West Virginia and talk to the teachers there. You need to get into the inner cities and talk to the social workers there.

I'm sorry, but I'm done here. I just can't fathom this level of denial.

Old 12-22-2023, 10:05 PM

10,770 posts, read 5,687,611 times
Quote:
It wasn’t intentional child abuse but someone poor not understanding how to access services. Do you realize if a single parent on welfare goes to school to train for a job that snap cuts their food stamps because of the financial aid they receive? However, that aid has to pay for books and tuition.

It happened to my neighbor who thought she was going to have to quit because of it but us and a few others gave her food to see her through. It was a sacrifice because we were all young with our own families. However, she completed the schooling and obtained a full time job and never needed help again.
Federal financial aid is not treated as income for the purpose of determining eligibility for SNAP.

Old 12-22-2023, 10:45 PM

Quote:
I don't believe it.

Everywhere there are signs targeting poor people on how to sign up for services including food stamps.

The single parent was divorced and her dead beat ex husband took off and didn’t pay child support. Both instances happened in the 1980’s and I don’t appreciate the insinuation that I am lying.

Last edited by Teacher Terry; 12-22-2023 at 11:05 PM..

Old 12-22-2023, 10:47 PM

[quote=TaxPhd;66219304]Federal financial aid is not treated as income for the purpose of determining eligibility for SNAP.[/

That’s before I finished my degree and was working in the field and honestly I don’t remember all the particulars but it was only an issue the last year of college. She was able to obtain a 4 year degree in 3 years by going summers so she wasn’t a slacker.

I am also done discussing this because anyone that has been a social worker or teacher in an area that is not affluent knows what is really happening and others don’t care or want to know. It’s the usual stance of blaming all poor people for being in that situation instead of looking at the broader picture of how they reached their destination. It’s pointless and I might as well talk to the wall.

Old 12-23-2023, 01:17 AM

10,770 posts, read 5,687,611 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Federal financial aid is not treated as income for the purpose of determining eligibility for SNAP.
That’s before I finished my degree and was working in the field and honestly I don’t remember all the particulars but it was only an issue the last year of college. She was able to obtain a 4 year degree in 3 years by going summers so she wasn’t a slacker.

I am also done discussing this because anyone that has been a social worker or teacher in an area that is not affluent knows what is really happening and others don’t care or want to know. It’s the usual stance of blaming all poor people for being in that situation instead of looking at the broader picture of how they reached their destination. It’s pointless and I might as well talk to the wall.
I spent eight years teaching at a “majority minority” institution in an Atlanta area ghetto. Do I meet your criteria for being able to talk about this?

I don’t blame all poor people for being in poverty, just most of them.

Do you want to have a discussion about this, or do you just want to stick with your narrative that the poor are poor through no fault of their own?

Old 12-23-2023, 03:07 AM

106,750 posts, read 108,937,910 times
i saw first hand how the guys i was friendly with from my project days did not nothing to get out of there .

i begged them to go to apex technical with me when i had to find a career .

i went for hvac but they offered training in many career paths "

but nope , they rather not have to study or spend time in school .

so today they are raising their own families in the projects and they don’t see this is the result of their own poor choices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement