Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 04:36 PM

536 posts, read 486,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
They sometimes have a man available but say you can wait for a woman employee to be available. As my connection was a little tight I let the guy do it and he went too far but it’s life and I didn’t want to miss my flight.
I find this hard to believe. I used to work for TSA and we absolutely were not trained on opposite gender pat downs. Kauai is probably a tiny airport though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2024, 04:55 PM

7,714 posts, read 3,334,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
My horrible SA experience was with a woman. And they did have the x-ray thing you walk through. Hope it was just a one-off thing.

Back to the thread topic: Resuming tax prep today and I already had a melt-down. Went to my word docs to see how I organized things last year and none of the docs are "available" for some weird reason.

The age thing plays into my meltdown because I'm not feeling great today. I'm not "sick," per se - just not 100% - have been feeling super tired and today achy - I was wondering when seniors say they have "aches and pains" what they might mean and I understand today.

The low energy thing has me worried for the future because it was illustrated today that even if you feel really sharp, mentally, if you're not feeling well physically, things can be difficult to accomplish.

On the other hand, I'm very aware I'm privileged and so many others have things way worse, so as they say, "I can't complain."

It's all very curious and who knows how it's going to play out now or in the future.

I have felt that way on and off (mostly on) since Dec. 21. A few days ago I finally felt rested and I started to realize that I probably had Covid. I looked up the symptoms on this strain and one is Extreme Exhaustion.

Old 02-06-2024, 05:32 PM

48,581 posts, read 34,987,245 times
Quote:
Your solution is very smart. I am always pressuring myself. When I first started the tax prep, I was simply irritated - didn't have any physical symptoms. Then I had a night when I couldn't stay awake past eight - then another one and today feel achy. I don't give myself permission to "slack" - I feel I waste a lot of time anyway so feel like I have to horsewhip myself to meet self-imposed deadlines.

I want to plan a big trip with one of my kids and her husband but I won't do that until I have my tax prep done and after my tax prep is revising my Advance Healthcare Directive, then revising my entire trust - so going through it page by page making changes and then seeing a new attorney. I failed to do the latter last year, which was my goal. I waste a lot of time (as you can see by my CD usage) and then try to make it up. My resistance to doing certain things is off the charts in my old age!

But you're right. I put down all the tax docs today - and organized my office. Hopefully I will make progress tomorrow or the next day if I feel better.

Thanks for listening to my tale of woe! Mad at myself for not being stronger.

Try chopping it up into small tasks. Day 1: get all the paperwork together that you can easily find. Day 2: organize the paperwork. Day 3: look for paperwork that is missing.

Etc. Start with the easiest parts.

Then reward yourself. Once you do your daily tax chore, give yourself a reward. TV show? Chocolate? Warm bath? Wine?

If your accomplishing some of the tax work, it should help with your anxiety, but doing one small portion a day won't seem as overwhelming.

Just a thought.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-06-2024, 05:35 PM

48,581 posts, read 34,987,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeej View Post
I find this hard to believe. I used to work for TSA and we absolutely were not trained on opposite gender pat downs. Kauai is probably a tiny airport though.
Very small.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-06-2024, 06:10 PM

20,091 posts, read 13,550,188 times
I have been a software developer for 41 years and absolutely love it ... but nevertheless, I am starting to notice that I'm really becoming more avoidant around certain aspects of the job that I never did like but always was able to tolerate.

Everyone has internal resistance to certain things they don't like doing but there are conditions (autism spectrum disorder, ADHD-I, various anxiety disorders, executive function issues, certain phobias) that exaggerate this problem and make it considerably harder to "push through" and force yourself to follow through on things you don't like. So why wouldn't the declining energy levels and increasing pain levels of aging tend to do this?

The best you can do is stay as healthy as you know how to ... be careful to get needed rest and appropriate exercise ... and if you get to the point where you can't handle some task (your job, driving, whatever), whether because you can't stand it anymore or just simply can't do it -- learn to let go and do without.

Driving is a great example. My Dad kept driving beyond what he should have, and at age 83, did not see or completely misjudged an oncoming vehicle, turned in front of it, and it resulted in the death of my 81 year old mother. So I pay a lot of attention to my reaction times and judgement and if I or other family members come to question it, it'll be time to sell the car and do without. No room for denial or foolish pride when it comes to such things.

When I can no longer enjoy (find joy in) my work, I will cut back or stop altogether. Fortunately I'm not there yet because we need the income, but I am already 6 months beyond full retirement age so it can't last forever.

Old 02-06-2024, 06:47 PM

7,714 posts, read 3,334,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I have been a software developer for 41 years and absolutely love it ... but nevertheless, I am starting to notice that I'm really becoming more avoidant around certain aspects of the job that I never did like but always was able to tolerate.

Everyone has internal resistance to certain things they don't like doing but there are conditions (autism spectrum disorder, ADHD-I, various anxiety disorders, executive function issues, certain phobias) that exaggerate this problem and make it considerably harder to "push through" and force yourself to follow through on things you don't like. So why wouldn't the declining energy levels and increasing pain levels of aging tend to do this?

The best you can do is stay as healthy as you know how to ... be careful to get needed rest and appropriate exercise ... and if you get to the point where you can't handle some task (your job, driving, whatever), whether because you can't stand it anymore or just simply can't do it -- learn to let go and do without.

Driving is a great example. My Dad kept driving beyond what he should have, and at age 83, did not see or completely misjudged an oncoming vehicle, turned in front of it, and it resulted in the death of my 81 year old mother. So I pay a lot of attention to my reaction times and judgement and if I or other family members come to question it, it'll be time to sell the car and do without. No room for denial or foolish pride when it comes to such things.

When I can no longer enjoy (find joy in) my work, I will cut back or stop altogether. Fortunately I'm not there yet because we need the income, but I am already 6 months beyond full retirement age so it can't last forever.
A lot of people making such excellent comments here.

I suggested to OP she sell those properties. I thought she was a he until we figured out she's a she herein. I don't see rental properties something I could handle now let alone as I advance through my remaining 20-25 years.

I worry about driving in old age too. I go out and drive around and deal with the brutality of the way people drive so that I will continue to do it as long as possible. I was hit by a truck and so my fear is hitting someone. The problem is that walking is dangerous (so, there's no cure - public transit is never going to be a good option).

Old 02-07-2024, 04:05 AM

8,885 posts, read 4,607,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upminster-1 View Post
I am middle-aged ( 76 ) and can't say I have resistance to doing my taxes, filed them just a few days ago.

But I am more resistant to some things, yet remain flexible on most things where I need to be.

But what it is, I find some tasks simply more difficult and more challenging than they used to be. I can read "instructions" and sometimes they just don't make any sense. May take a few days before "I get it" and sometimes I never do. Some things just seem ambiguous, and I don't know that they used to be that way. It's like my thinking processes are somehow different than they used to be.

But. In my case I don't know what relates to getting older and what relates to the massive head injury I suffered in 2006.
lol @ 76 = "middle aged". Are you planning on living to be 152?

I'm 77 and "older than dirt"

And yes i still do my own taxes, etc, and have always put them off as long a possible.

Old 02-07-2024, 08:36 AM

22,062 posts, read 13,086,234 times
A lot of the tips are simple time-management, which I think most of us already know; it's a matter of implementing them even with the knowledge of how to do it, which is what I think OP is struggling with.

I used to have rental property and got rid of it a long time ago. I realized I no longer had the appetite for it, and it was becoming increasingly difficult and onerous to manage as a single woman with no help. The only way I would own a rental now is using a property manager at a vacation resort, and maybe not even then. I'm not sure who would "do the taxes" in that case (an accountant, I'd hope), but if it stressed me out, I wouldn't bother.

You may want and need to simplify your life at this point, and maybe that's what your procrastination is telling you. Taxes are a simple matter when you own just one home.

Especially if you pay someone to do it or have it done for free, as I do!

But certain things DO need to be done and CAN'T be eliminated or delegated, and that's what OP needs help with.

Last edited by otterhere; 02-07-2024 at 09:59 AM..

Old 02-07-2024, 09:04 AM

179 posts, read 302,407 times
Quote:
I have never disliked it the way I despise it now - and I think it's because I've lost tolerance. I would just rather be doing so many other things and I can't escape this chore.
Yes, It is lost tolerance for me now doing things I really never liked but had to like doing taxes on my own and working. I rather be doing something that I like such as planning vacations, stocks and investment, cooking and daydreaming.

Now I still do our taxes that includes rental. But figuring capital gains, dividends, and interest have gotten very easy because they can be simply downloaded from financial institutions on turbotax. That applies to figuring all the tax related issues with rentals.

Old 02-07-2024, 09:55 AM

1,239 posts, read 555,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I have felt that way on and off (mostly on) since Dec. 21. A few days ago I finally felt rested and I started to realize that I probably had Covid. I looked up the symptoms on this strain and one is Extreme Exhaustion.
Wow. Never heard of that strain! Glad you got over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement