Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Often Do You Pay for Massage?
Once a week 2 3.03%
Once a month 5 7.58%
Occasionally 16 24.24%
Never 39 59.09%
Other: Please explain in comments 4 6.06%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 08:07 AM

17,422 posts, read 16,590,828 times

Advertisements

I've never had a professional massage even though I've been offered them as gifts. So, for me, never. I've been told I'm missing out and I probably am. I just can't quite bring myself to go in for one.

I do like a good manicure, pedicure and facial, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2024, 08:43 AM

14,422 posts, read 14,344,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
I don't know what MVA is.

Why is it not pleasurable?
MVA stands for motor vehicle accident. The poster is saying she is trying to resolve some painful injuries from that.

Old 02-08-2024, 09:09 AM

7,908 posts, read 3,885,814 times
I tried a massage once, but the therapist just couldn't keep her hands off me.

Old 02-08-2024, 09:20 AM

8,155 posts, read 8,374,461 times
I have used massage on and off for 20 years. For a few years I had an overbearing boss who stressed me out and so I had weekly massages. After that was resolved I pared down to 1x a month. Then we moved and I didn’t find someone really great. During Covid I bought a very, very expensive massage chair which I use daily. But I miss a good head massage so I have been looking into finding a local spa that offers neck, shoulder and head massages.

A couple of times I’ve had therapeutic massages for specific target issues, as prescribed by a doctor. Those are no pleasant, but effective.

Old 02-08-2024, 10:32 AM

37,653 posts, read 46,084,092 times
I used to get massages occasionally, with my BF, he just loves them. But they have gotten so expensive that I just can't justify it anymore, and honestly the two places that we have gone are just not worth it to me. They are actually painful when they do my shins. I don't know if I just have less meat there than other people but I have never had a massage where they did not KILL the front of my legs. I really thought I was going to be bruised! I've even told them before hand to take it easy but they never seem to understand. So I stopped doing them altogether about a year ago - and really it's more about the money - it's just too much now. My BF still goes- he has back and shoulder issues so it does a lot more for him - I drop him off and go to the mall and then pick him up.

Old 02-08-2024, 10:49 AM

9,881 posts, read 7,766,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I've never had a professional massage even though I've been offered them as gifts. So, for me, never. I've been told I'm missing out and I probably am. I just can't quite bring myself to go in for one.

I do like a good manicure, pedicure and facial, though.
I half agree with you. I don't want anyone but my husband giving me a massage and I can't stand anyone messing with my feet. Hate pedicures.

Old 02-08-2024, 11:12 AM

4,015 posts, read 2,377,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpact View Post
With or without the happy ending?
Hilarious!

Old 02-08-2024, 12:50 PM

584 posts, read 310,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
Just what the title says. I get massaged weekly, and believe that and sleep are the two things that have maintained my overall health. So yes, it's pleasurable - of course - and not to minimize that because many people are "touch deprived," AND I feel that there are significant health benefits of getting blood flowing, releasing lactic acid, etc.

If you do not current get regular massages, I hope you might look into it for health and well-being benefits.
My health is very good and I am not stressed nor uptight about anything in retirement. I walk 3 miles most days with a day off a week, indoor or out weather dependent.

People are expensive in this country and never had one nor feel any urge or need to try it.

Old 02-08-2024, 12:57 PM

48,564 posts, read 34,941,456 times
I get massages on and off. I go to pain management and have a DO who adjusts works my back, painful, but it works.

A lot of times we go get massages after a long camping trip and wake boarding.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-08-2024, 01:07 PM

88,673 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Never had one, all a bit seedy, especially the happy endings thing.
Well, only if you go to that type of establishment.

My late bf gave great massages, and I hadn't had one since he got sick, but when I was in Costa Rica for Xmas, my daughter and I got the massage deal at the resort on Xmas Eve. $95 for a back and neck massage plus a facial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement