Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 09:39 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,011,896 times

Advertisements

(Per the DNR tatoo, check on that.)
I saw a story many years ago about a woman who had one on her chest.
I don't remember specifics but Drs. couldn't follow it.

OP, travel if you like and enjoy. And/or what about donating something for someone or an organization?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2024, 09:53 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,327,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Remember, you'll be dead and won't care. You have no family, so they won't care.

It's actually pretty freeing.
Thats the way I feel about it too. Ive made provisions but you never know how things will work out. We can only control so much. In the end I will probably end up in a home for old ladies and use up all my monies anyways.

I have a will and a trust and the rest is POD. Everything goes to a scholarship fund. My Outlaws are going to be very surprised when they get nada. My attorney who is a lot younger than me is my executor. BTW. You can have your will recorded at the court house for a fee. That way theres no questions.

Old 02-13-2024, 10:09 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdurncat13 View Post
(Per the DNR tatoo, check on that.)
I saw a story many years ago about a woman who had one on her chest.
I don't remember specifics but Drs. couldn't follow it.

OP, travel if you like and enjoy. And/or what about donating something for someone or an organization?
I'd think unless the person's DNR tattoo also includes a doctor's signature, the signatures of two unrelated witnesses and a notary stamp, it could not be honored as the person's wishes. Though states may vary in their rules, these items are required for the DNR to be considered valid.

Old 02-13-2024, 10:12 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Why isn't there any solution for these things. I swear when I retire I am going to make a service for this and people who need rides to appointments.

Old 02-13-2024, 10:50 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I'd think unless the person's DNR tattoo also includes a doctor's signature, the signatures of two unrelated witnesses and a notary stamp, it could not be honored as the person's wishes. Though states may vary in their rules, these items are required for the DNR to be considered valid.
Ha, so true! My mother recently passed away. For years she told me that she had a living will. I never questioned it. When she was in medical distress, my sister called me to ask me if I knew where it was (I didn't), and then my sister called back to say she finallly found it! The EMTS looked at it and said, "This isn't valid. No doctor signed it." Doh! Thankfully, my mother was coherent enough (barely) to tell them she didn't want any life-saving measures. She passed away that night.

I'm not sure if my MIL had a living will or not, but she always verbally told us that she did not want to be "hooked up to machines" to live. Well, imagine our surprise when she had a stroke and needed a feeding tube that she told the doctors to do everything they can to keep her alive. She lived for 7 more months, barely coherent for most of them, lying in a nursing home bed.

If you want a DNR, make sure it's valid and that your loved ones know where it is and that it's easily accessible. It's hard to think clearly in the heat of a very stressful moment.

Old 02-13-2024, 10:53 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Remember, you'll be dead and won't care. You have no family, so they won't care.

It's actually pretty freeing.
Or just have no will. Once in a while you hear those stories of people inheriting money from a dead uncle they never knew existed.

I know a woman whose unmarried elderly aunt always told her she'd get everything when she died. She owned a couple of rental properties, had some money in the bank.

BUT, this woman was Catholic, as was her aunt, and she married an Episcopalian. They had their first two kids baptized Catholic, but when they moved back to the husband's hometown, he said we're going back to my church. Then they had a third kid, who they had baptized in the Episcopal Church.

Oddly, Aunt B did not respond to the invitation to attend the christening, nor did they hear anything from her, and she did not return phone calls. Eventually, the woman learned her aunt was in the hospital. She called the hospital and was told, "Oh she died yesterday".

A couple of months later, the woman went to the courthouse to see if a will had been filed. It had Aunt B left everything to some distant cousin on the other side of the country who probably wondered why the heck he was getting all this money from a woman he barely knew. All they can figure is that she was upset enough over the switch in denominations to cut her niece out of the inheritance. A lesson not to count those chickens before they hatch. Or stick with the relative's religious preference until they die.

So, there's another choice. Leave your money to some rando who didn't even know you!

Old 02-13-2024, 10:59 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
How does one do that? I keep asking for specifics... I don't use banks; I use credit unions (higher interest rates).

As for "the attorney" being paid to execute a will at the time of death, what happens if you've spent all the money; it just doesn't get executed and he/she doesn't get paid?

I'm thinking of getting a reverse mortgage on the expensive property (then I won't have to worry about who gets that; the bank will) and THEN spending all the money! I'll have even more money to get rid of. What a lovely problem to have!

It also seems to me that a well-chosen annuity might make sense. Seems both of these things get a bad rap, but I don't see the problem with them under the right circumstances.
Don't you have any life insurance to take care of final expenses?

Old 02-13-2024, 11:11 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Yes, I carry a card with his number as an emergency. I have a daily call in service with Snug. If I don’t answer, two neighbors are contacted. If they aren’t available , the police are contacted.
I keep my lawyer's/executor's number in my wallet with my I.D.

Old 02-13-2024, 11:14 AM

If your phone is locked, is there a way for authorities/lawyer to get saved phone numbers? My lawyer and health care proxy are in my phone as such.

I have always rather assumed that I'd get a lingering illness and could tend the details that I've set up. Everyone I'm related to died of cancer.

Old 02-13-2024, 11:20 AM

Just called my lawyer to make sure everything is still in order. I deliberately chose a young person!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement