Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 06:22 PM

5 posts, read 2,929 times

Advertisements

I had that problem last week for surgery, when a "friend" flaked. I was going to reschedule when hospital called and said there is a guy some of the doctors use. He's $156 for a 4 hour min. Where are you located as I will give you a ride as my doctor is making me be a couch potato for 2 weeks. Tres boring.

Old 02-21-2024, 06:48 PM

947 posts, read 787,190 times
Call around and find a provider that will do the procedure without anesthesia. Then you can drive yourself to and from the appointment and don't have to deal with the aftereffects of the anesthesia. A friend recently did this in the Raleigh, NC area. The procedure was a breeze with little or no discomfort.

Old 02-21-2024, 07:11 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Thats one reason why location is important. If you live far from everything it would be tough to get a ride. I'm a mile away from most medical so a neighbor is always willing. I took them enough times over the years.

Old 02-21-2024, 07:12 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
I don't bother. I think we're tested and screened to death these days, and I wouldn't pursue treatment, anyway. If you don't even have anyone to ask to give you a ride to a medical procedure, why would you want to extend your life to the point where you'd really need care?

Old 02-22-2024, 01:41 AM

22,146 posts, read 19,198,797 times
i pay someone to take me. In the housing complex where i live, there is a resident who has her flyers in the laundry room, advertising that she can be hired for driving people to medical visits including the ones where they have to stay and wait for the patient to be done and then drive them back. I've used her a couple of times.

i'd rather pay someone because it feels more professional, and they're less likely to expect socializing from me, it keeps it a clear business transaction, without the expectations of other demands they make make of me.

Old 02-22-2024, 01:52 AM

22,146 posts, read 19,198,797 times
also the uber in our area recently added a "medical" option. i haven't looked into it further because there hasn't been a need, but i'm curious if it is for appointments where you can pay them to wait and drive you both ways.

i had a series of heavy duty dental procedures which required me to take a medication which did not allow me to drive there or back. But they did not require someone to wait with me in the dental office. So i took uber up to the appointment, and then it was close enough to walk home. I really liked that because i felt like the exercise afterwards would help me feel better and get the strong drugs out of my system quicker. And also make me feel like a normal person again. It was very effective in all those ways. I've done that for about seven or eight dental procedures, at two different offices.

they wouldn't let me do that with the oral surgery though. they said absolutely not, no walking home (and it was very close, too). and no uber. and they wanted someone to stay with me for 12-24 hours after also, but i did not do that.

as far as colonoscopy, i have never had one, and i decline it every time the doctor mentions it. he's not happy about it but i've worked in health care long enough to decide that the risks outweigh the benefits.

Old 02-22-2024, 03:45 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
I am only 50 but there is a service that will be taking me. The good news is that my doctor finally seemed to understand he had to give a name and put that on the notice so I didn't have to search around.

I hang out on a facebook group for my town (and other local towns) and I asked once if anyone knew a service and like 50 people volunteered to do it. Many said it was just a good way to make friends.

I agree senior services can help. They might not advertise it but many will just find a volunteer for you.

I asked a co worker once. She used her sick time (though not sure how kosher that was) and got a full day out of it. So she was happy to help.

Old 02-22-2024, 06:02 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i pay someone to take me. In the housing complex where i live, there is a resident who has her flyers in the laundry room, advertising that she can be hired for driving people to medical visits including the ones where they have to stay and wait for the patient to be done and then drive them back. I've used her a couple of times.

i'd rather pay someone because it feels more professional, and they're less likely to expect socializing from me, it keeps it a clear business transaction, without the expectations of other demands they make make of me.
I hope this resident has cleared it with her auto insurance carrier. If she hasn't, she's likely to be in a pickle if she gets involved in an accident and the insurance company finds out she was using her car for commercial purposes.

Old 02-22-2024, 06:21 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Me, for my monthly retina eye injections, I ask my belly dancing sister to drive me back and forth.....and I pay her for her time. Another time, when I had to go some distance for a pre cataract surgery exam with dilation, I asked another belly dancing sister for help and stayed at her house until my eyes had restored to normal.

Among other things, it gives us a chance to talk and catch up. Finally, I am generous, not stingy on payment, ask them if they need more (or offer to fill their gas tank). In part, it is because of how much I need them but a lot of it is the way I am.....it pleases me to be Godlike.

Old 02-22-2024, 06:30 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
You need to know that some hospitals simply will not discharge a patient to an Uber or taxi. Also, many Uber drivers may not take a patient to/from a hospital for liability concerns. You'll also deal with time-of-day issues - if you need to go somewhere early in the morning, good luck finding an Uber if not in a major city. I'm in a city of about 50,000 - there are no Ubers available here right now. There is one available near the airport about fifteen minutes away.

Locally, there is a paratransit service that seniors can use for appointments, but it must be scheduled in advance, and it'll depend if they are already booked. Otherwise, it's completely DIY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement