Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2024, 11:21 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times

Advertisements

I have always had family or friends to give me a ride and offer to give rides to others. If someone on next door said they needed a ride for a medical procedure I would volunteer and I bet others would too. Having time in retirement is an opportunity to help others.

I have made friends in my condo building and we give each other rides because it’s so convenient. I took someone to the airport at 3am and came home and got right back to bed. She was going to take a Uber because of the time but I insisted on driving her.

Old 02-23-2024, 01:29 AM

2,627 posts, read 1,170,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I don't bother. I think we're tested and screened to death these days, and I wouldn't pursue treatment, anyway. If you don't even have anyone to ask to give you a ride to a medical procedure, why would you want to extend your life to the point where you'd really need care?

I don't see that as a reason to just give up and stop getting medical help, procedures and wait to die. Sometimes people need to have procedures done. One of my parents thought like you and she suffered for it. Most people I know are working all day. Older people living in my complex are like many others here and don't want to get involved with neighbors for favors even if it's a once every 5 year favor. The medical facility I go to requires going on the highway which damn near all my neighbors fear driving on. I have family living near me but as I said they work an have their own medical issues. I will have to eventually find a way to get to medical procedures as I age so I better start now. I might outlive family or they move away then what when it's an emergency.

If I have to I will leave this Doctor and try one that does have safe transportation.

Old 02-23-2024, 09:02 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I've just remembered something that may be useful for others: I have several friends who opted for Medicare Advantage Plans. Many (most? all?) have this kind of transportation included in their plan. Worth checking out if you have a MAP.
Thats a very good tip. I don't need anything right now, but I will be checking with my MAP for in the future. I wrote down the other tips too and I will be checking them out also. Some I have already looked in to, but others are new to me. I like to have options.

This may be selfish, but it just occurred to me that offering rides might be a good way for me to meet people. I am an introverted elder orphan who is slowly going feral due to lack of socialization. I know I need to get out and mingle but I always put it off till later. I've gotten too comfortable in my nest.

So, my point is if we volunteer, we might make some friends. Look at it like dating. If they get on your nerves you don't have to see them again. Most of us introverts do better one on one.

Old 02-23-2024, 09:20 AM

7,430 posts, read 4,672,937 times
Just move to a suburb where you can walk around to daily needs. Also, buy a scooter for trips to nearby hospital and dentist office.

Old 02-23-2024, 09:22 AM

99,504 posts, read 4,489,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I have always had family or friends to give me a ride and offer to give rides to others. If someone on next door said they needed a ride for a medical procedure I would volunteer and I bet others would too. Having time in retirement is an opportunity to help others.

When I wasn't sure I could arrange a ride from a colonoscopy, I found posts on NextDoor from others requesting help with a ride. Several people stepped up and said they would be glad to volunteer and help out. Good to know that option is out there for someone who needs it.

Old 02-23-2024, 09:26 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Goodness, otter, I dare say that simply because someone may not be able to find a ride to a medical appointment hardly means that they should just give up and die. SMH.
This is MY opinion for MY life; I'm not telling anyone else to "just give up and die." And I've gotten quite a few reps on that comment, so I'm obviously not the only one who feels that way! Maybe just the only one willing to say it?

Old 02-23-2024, 09:50 AM

7,430 posts, read 4,672,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Thats one reason why location is important. If you live far from everything it would be tough to get a ride. I'm a mile away from most medical so a neighbor is always willing. I took them enough times over the years.
Correct. Plan as if one is 92 years old not 50. It's not rocket science. A quiet small village with grocery, pharmacy and diners within 5 minute walk. Most everything else including a major hospital within 10 minute ride via a scooter, preferably walkable (within a mile is the best). Don't plan with a car...car needs too much maintenance which one cannot do at 92. Have a friend close by for those rare emergencies but also you can opt to get a caregiver as needed so they will be there always at your side.

Old 02-23-2024, 09:58 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
...This is MY opinion for MY life; I'm not telling anyone else to "just give up and die...."
Except that's exactly what you wrote.

And I quote: "IF YOU don't even have anyone to ask TO GIVE YOU a ride to a medical procedure, WHY WOULD YOU want to extend YOUR LIFE to the point where YOU'D really need care?"

For someone who claims to just be giving her opinion about her own life, there are an inordinate number of "you's" in that sentence questioning what another person should or shouldn't do with their life.

Old 02-23-2024, 10:03 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
I suppose I could have said "if ONE doesn't even have" so everyone would understand I meant "you" in the general and not personal sense, but that sounds a bit prissy.

For the record, I was not addressing any one poster.

Speaking of medical procedures, some here need to take a chill pill!

Old 02-23-2024, 10:14 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
I suppose I could have said "if ONE doesn't even have" so everyone would understand I meant "you" in the general and not personal sense, but that sounds a bit prissy.

For the record, I was not addressing any one poster.

Speaking of medical procedures, some here need to take a chill pill!
The senior center here will provide free medical transportation for those who need it and are sixty years of age or older.

Otter, I'm trying to remember were you against covid vaccination too?

The problem with your position is that most of us want to extend our lives at least as long as there is some quality in them. Unless I make it to at least eighty I'm going to feel sort of cheated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement