Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2024, 01:09 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Thats a very good tip. I don't need anything right now, but I will be checking with my MAP for in the future. I wrote down the other tips too and I will be checking them out also. Some I have already looked in to, but others are new to me. I like to have options.

This may be selfish, but it just occurred to me that offering rides might be a good way for me to meet people. I am an introverted elder orphan who is slowly going feral due to lack of socialization. I know I need to get out and mingle but I always put it off till later. I've gotten too comfortable in my nest.

So, my point is if we volunteer, we might make some friends. Look at it like dating. If they get on your nerves you don't have to see them again. Most of us introverts do better one on one.
For anyone who's interested in volunteering -- you might be able to get mileage paid and a small stipend if you go through this:

https://www.ocwcog.org/connect/volunteer/rsvp/

Old 02-23-2024, 01:15 PM

14,938 posts, read 12,132,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I’ve always joined NextDoor in every place we’ve lived and always found the best people for any services I’ve needed.I’ve seen posts asking for rides to and from a procedure involving sedation and sure enough, there’s two or three stepping up to help.

I've seen that too on our local Next Door site. Many elderly people in our community and lack of rides to procedures and medical appointments seems to be pretty common. It looks as though people respond to those folks asking for help with their transportation, and to me this looks like a great solution to a common problem around here. Personally I'd be happy to help someone out like that, and I can see that potentially any of us could be in the same boat and need transportation too.

I've also seen a few ads on Next Door, or signs on cars I see on the road, for transportation services to medical appointments. These seem to be small businesses set up by entrepenurial souls ( often retirees looking to make a little extra cash) for a need they see around here.

Old 02-23-2024, 02:11 PM
JRR

8,163 posts, read 5,654,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
oh nonsense. He/she lives her life the way she/he wants. Others are free to do the same. If YOU want to have all kinds of tests and procedures thats YOUR business . others may perceive life and modern medicine differently!
Yep, life is all about having choices. I've got a friend here that is several years younger than I am who badly needs a knee replacement. But he doesn't like doctors so he prefers to limp around in pain bemoaning how he cannot do things that he used to be able to do and how much he envies me with my mobility.

But it is his choice.

Old 02-23-2024, 02:45 PM

22,460 posts, read 11,981,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
How will they know they are going by Uber?
They ask once you check in for your appt. Plus they (well...my health plan does) ask you to point out the person who is driving you home. It's expected that the person will be in the waiting room. After the procedure, they tell that person to bring the car around to the pick up area. Then they will wheel you out to the car.

This whole issue concerns my husband and me. Right now, we can help each other. After one of us passes, the last one standing will be in a bad spot regarding this issue.

Old 02-23-2024, 02:53 PM

22,460 posts, read 11,981,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Hire an Uber driver anyway.
How are they gonna know he's an Uber driver? Anyway, he's my driver. Easy money for him, solves a problem for me.
Depends on your health plan. As I said when I answered another poster, my health plan asks who is going to wait for you while you have the procedure done. You even have to point out the person who is expected to be in the waiting room. After the procedure is done, they tell the person to bring the car to the pick up area so that they can wheel the patient to the car.

Old 02-23-2024, 05:19 PM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Thankfully, the last time my husband had an epidural procedure, they did not require him to have a driver. This is new, and was always unnecessary anyway, since it was only local anesthetic.

Old 02-23-2024, 05:48 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,514 posts, read 6,324,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You could be describing me. I'm normally pretty content in my solitary skin, but I've lost several long term friends recently and now feeling some disconnect/stagnancy. This exact thing just happened to me. I needed a ride and lucked out by getting one from the spouse of the doctor's NP; someone I didn't know from Adam. Turns out they just happen to live a short distance from me, they're in my age group (on the cusp of/recently retired), and relatively new to the area. During the drive we discovered we had multiple things in common. Dog lovers (they have a breed I really like), nature lovers, conservation interests, were attracted to the area for similar reasons, etc. The conversation didn't lag. The three of us are meeting for lunch a couple of weeks from now. Looking forward to a pleasant meal but I don't have expectations...we'll either click socially or we won't. No harm, no foul.
Im glad it worked out for you. I hope you made some new friends. Funny how things work out.

Old 02-23-2024, 08:18 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,011,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
oh nonsense. He/she lives her life the way she/he wants. Others are free to do the same. If YOU want to have all kinds of tests and procedures thats YOUR business . others may perceive life and modern medicine differently!
WTH are you babbling about?

Old 02-23-2024, 08:51 PM

3,091 posts, read 2,216,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
WTH are you babbling about?
I agree. Complete nonsense post. Seems like a problem with reading comprehension. You had simply quoted the poster (otter...) and pointed out the obvious contradiction in her posts, the second one trying to weasel out of the first post without admitting the obvious error.

No one questions what anyone wants to do with their life. But when they give bizarre advice on a simple topic to others, it is fair game to question it.

Old 02-23-2024, 09:13 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,242,392 times
There are agencies that provide private-duty nurses, CNAs, and other caregivers such as companions for elderly people. Sometimes, their non-clinical staff (companions, housekeepers, etc.) will take jobs driving patients to procedures and waiting with them to drive them home if they have a day without a work assignment. They are usually bonded and insured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement