Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2024, 06:23 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times

Advertisements

My daughter lives in Charlotte. Her partner was having a lot of doctor's appts. She hired a service, Grandparents something or other, I think, to help out. It wasn't perfect as no problem getting her there but she might have a long wait getting back home. They didn't stay there with her. That in itself would not have been undoable but the partner is in the early stages of dementia.

They was also a transport bus that could be utilized but again, the partner wasnt totally within her faculties.

It has been rough. Get involved in a church or something where you can develop relationships and friendships. I know, I know.

Old 02-24-2024, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
....snipped.....

I just thought there is a sort of mini shuttle bus the stairs are hard to climb up and it is, I think, for seniors too. Last I was told it is only transportation for the disabled but I am not on disability. I am only a percentage disabled legally just not on disability getting checks. Last I was told is they take a long time to show up but I have to look into that more.

.....snipped......
Most of the transports I have seen around town, the riders didn't appear to be totally disabled. My daughers partner was not "disabled" and she could ride it, it was just hard to coordinate with her declining faculties.

It would help to know where you are located and what might be available for you.

Old 02-24-2024, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmiller9 View Post
Call around and find a provider that will do the procedure without anesthesia. Then you can drive yourself to and from the appointment and don't have to deal with the aftereffects of the anesthesia. A friend recently did this in the Raleigh, NC area. The procedure was a breeze with little or no discomfort.
Colonoscopy & endoscopy with no anest ? I tried that and it was so painful, they had to do something. It was a mistake anyway. I was supposed to be sedated and he screwed up. Endoscopy, the same thing. Never, ever again will I have anything like that without it.

That's nuts. You must be pretty stoic if you can do it. lol

Old 02-24-2024, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
A friend. I had a friend who was also a taxi driver take me to my colonoscopy. It was all well and good until I gave the hospital his card to call when I was ready to go home. They freaked out and told me in no uncertain terms that was forbidden. If I had said nothing and just given them his number I would have been fine. At that point I was getting extremely anxious since I didn't want to go through that awful prep again. I finally called an employee who was recovering from cancer surgery and he was able to come and get me.
What was the difference ? Friend versus employee.

Old 02-24-2024, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I had the same thought, reading the OP. I don't know the OP's age, but since this is in the retirement forum I'm wondering why even bother with these? Once you're 70+ all bets are off anyway. I'd rather age gracefully and naturally without these stressful and costly "procedures" that are bankrolling the opulent lifestyles of medical and insurance professionals.
After 75, they quietly stop doing some tests without extreme pressure from the doctor with Medicare. And, most doctors don't want to fight it. I know that for a fact.

Old 02-24-2024, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Thats a very good tip. I don't need anything right now, but I will be checking with my MAP for in the future. I wrote down the other tips too and I will be checking them out also. Some I have already looked in to, but others are new to me. I like to have options.

This may be selfish, but it just occurred to me that offering rides might be a good way for me to meet people. I am an introverted elder orphan who is slowly going feral due to lack of socialization. I know I need to get out and mingle but I always put it off till later. I've gotten too comfortable in my nest.

So, my point is if we volunteer, we might make some friends. Look at it like dating. If they get on your nerves you don't have to see them again. Most of us introverts do better one on one.
Thank you for this post. I loved it. Good advice.

Old 02-24-2024, 06:54 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
My daughter lives in Charlotte. Her partner was having a lot of doctor's appts. She hired a service, Grandparents something or other, I think, to help out. It wasn't perfect as no problem getting her there but she might have a long wait getting back home. They didn't stay there with her. That in itself would not have been undoable but the partner is in the early stages of dementia.

They was also a transport bus that could be utilized but again, the partner wasnt totally within her faculties.

It has been rough. Get involved in a church or something where you can develop relationships and friendships. I know, I know.
This won't help with procedures. But you might want to look for Visiting Physicians if its just regular doctors appointments. This takes a lot of stress off the transporter and the patient when dementia is involved. Dementia patients do not like to get dressed to go out. BTDT.

Mom and several other seniors used Visiting Physicians for in home doctors and a podiatrists appointments. A doctor and sometimes a nurse came in a van. They took blood, xrays, etc. Just like in the office. Both billed their visits to insurance just like a regular office visit.

This came up with a quick google. https://www.google.com/search?q=char...client=gws-wiz

Old 02-24-2024, 06:56 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
A medical facility for Colonoscopy and Endoscopy.

Doctors and the facility for the procedures say Uber is not permitted yet none of the facilities or doctors office has anything to help with transportation both ways. Maybe I am remembering wrong, but I could have sworn they use to provide or recommend transportation with a company, drivers they know don't have a criminal record. But now even when the patient offers to pay for the transportation, they won't do it.

Now there may be one or two Doctors who have a service but it's in another state which is no help at all.

Taxi's only now go to the airports so that is out too. Which I wouldn't recommend since the last time I took a taxi I swear it was the most filthy car I ever saw and no seat belt.

So what do seniors do in a situation like this?
You don't have any friends or neighbors that might give you a ride? I had a friend not long ago who asked me to pick her up from the hospital after a procedure because they said she needed to be picked up, and no Uber like you said. So I met her there in the parking lot and she just walked out the front door. No one verified if she really had a ride. She got in her car and I followed her to a Chinese Restaurant and she treated me to lunch for my effort. She had an outpatient back procedure which she has has several times and it does not affect her ability to drive. Yet they make her jump through hoops.

I had Cataract surgery a few years back and needed a ride after. My girlfriend met me there. But she could have been Uber driver. Office had no idea, I just said I had a ride. Seems like they really don't care. They are just worried about liability. If you say you have a ride. That is all that counts. I would imagine one could order a Uber and the office would not know or verify. Do what you have to do. Don't worry about your doctors office.

Old 02-24-2024, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Don't even start! This topic (that doesn't even belong on this thread) has been beaten to death on C-D before.
Where is that thread ? I would like to read it. I was having a colonoscopy every 3 years after having a couple of polps, pre cancerous, around 17 years ago. Once I reached over 75, they said, ok now you go every 10 years.........

the point being, I had a very good surgeon who was a complete a--hole with no bedside manner but he was an excellent surgeon. I once went to another doctor for a colonoscopy and he hurt me so badly, I reported him.

I have been having yearly ultrasounds on my cartroid arteries and had a serious occlusion one side for about 13 years. Suddenly, after 75 or so, they decided I didn't need them anymore, the blockage just went away. What do you think ? Was I mislead all those years ? Did medicare say, she's older, forget it ? I don't know.

If I wasn't 80 years old and all my records in one place, I would try and find another clinic. Im too old now.

Old 02-25-2024, 08:32 AM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
This was a real problem for me.

I don't live near any family or close friends at the moment, and had no one to pick me up after a procedure. You were not allowed to call a random taxi/Lyft and have them pick you up.

I called every Home Health company in the area to try to hire a caregiver, but none of them would do a one time hire. They all were interested in setting up contracts for recurrent visits/care (4 hour shifts minimum), but not things like this. I tried calling all of the medical transport companies in my metropolitan area. One seemed willing to do it, but it would be "off the books" as they said this was not really allowed, and they would charge me $200.

Finally, I found a relatively new Home Health company that was trying to get new business. I told a white lie.... said that I was potentially interested in hiring them for more assistance in the future, and wanted to try them out this one time first. So they agreed to send a CNA/home health aid with their own car to the clinic to pick me up after the test for a minimum 4 hour shift to bring me home, and "monitor" me after the procedure, make lunch etc.... $150 + gas charge.

She was waiting for me in the waiting area after my test. Drove me home (15 minute drive), then as she dropped me off I gave her a tip and told her she could go. Didn't need any more "monitoring". She was pretty happy!

Ugh.
This is an in-depth post on just how "caring" the medical establishment is in saving lives. Life is full of contradictions. Push those lottery tickets. Then on the back of them it says "If you have a gambling problem call 1-800-xxx-xxxx". Cigarettes are marketed, yet on the packs it says "The Surgeon General has determined smoking to be hazardous to your health". Now this. "Get your screening tests done, it can save your life", yada yada. Then they refuse to serve you if you don't have a known person there on site with you, when you don't have anyone to do this, or they don't provide help, as in a ride home/shuttle or at least a referral service. Even car repair services have shuttles that take you home and pick you back up when your car is ready. Don't even start with the liability issue, or insurance issue. These can all be worked out with those in charge if they'd get over the "profit margin".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement