Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 06:27 PM

274 posts, read 57,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post

Let's stay healthy as long as we can, Luis. Best wishes to you!
Thank you my friend. I very much appreciate your warm words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2024, 05:15 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,204,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
If she whispers "Let's do it"

Do you hear that?
LOL....oh, I'll bet he does!!! good one

Old 02-27-2024, 05:20 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,204,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaHappy View Post
Or your ears might be full of wax. Somehow I got on the YouTube channel with some doctors in England who film the removal of earwax from patients. You'd be surprised how much gunk they scrape out. One 94 year old woman was thought to be totally deaf, but it was just earwax plugging up the ear canals to the point that sound couldn't get through.

One of my sister's children had to have her ears professionally cleaned fairly often as she produced an ungodly amount of earwax. She always knew when to take the girl in because she wouldn't respond when somebody spoke to her.

Can't hurt to have it checked out. Also, tinnitus can be caused by excessive earwax pressing against the bones of the ear.
This is the truth!! in my post #37 here, the friend that dragged me to the hearing test (because we would get a $25 gift card....) could not be tested because her ears were full of wax. She was mortified. I was amused. My hearing issue was also not enough to warrant hearing aids.

Old 02-27-2024, 12:34 PM

794 posts, read 1,860,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
9 years ago went to an audiologist, at the recommendation of a friend. The doc gave he trial bearing aids for a week. Went shopping in a store with them on,name out of the store 15 minutes later, Pounding headache from the noise !

Yes, I did pay more, he, the doc told me how to use them. Asked about my hearing, some loss in my right ear, hear only 40% in my left ear. After several years, hearing aids returned to the factory, no charge.

Inexpensive, might not learn how to use them. Stick them in a drawer, say they don't work. You sometimes get what you pay for; went every few months learning, ie sorta big brother, he put a monitor on me, could tell how often I was wearing them. Put them when I arise, take them off when I retire.

Taught family, friends, lovingly, speak to my face, speak out, not loud please. They are grateful I educate them to speak to me/us who are hearing challenged.
Yes, we've been through many pairs of HA from professionals and Costco and you really have to be careful about what you purchase. The support aspect is sometimes more important than the actual hearing aid itself. Thanks for the response.

Old 03-04-2024, 06:05 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,531,392 times
I have had hearing aids for four years. I also thought people were mumbling - but I found out they weren’t. Daughter came to stay and remarked how loud I had the TV on - I didn’t realize I did. DH, myself and daughter were watching a series on Netflix. I could not hear the dialog. I got my IPad out and followed the story in written form. I got hearing aids, and soon realized what the problem was. You have to make yourself wear them on a daily basis, as your brain gets used to not hearing, and switches off.

Old 03-04-2024, 06:22 PM

2,295 posts, read 1,515,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
I have had hearing aids for four years. I also thought people were mumbling - but I found out they weren’t. Daughter came to stay and remarked how loud I had the TV on - I didn’t realize I did. DH, myself and daughter were watching a series on Netflix. I could not hear the dialog. I got my IPad out and followed the story in written form. I got hearing aids, and soon realized what the problem was. You have to make yourself wear them on a daily basis, as your brain gets used to not hearing, and switches off.
That is all so true.
I cannot understand why people are so opposed to getting hearing aids. Can someone enlighten me?
If it is vanity, and not wanting people to know that you have a hearing problem, surely you realise that it is obvious when you cannot hear normally.
I have had hearing aids for several years, nobody notices them and if they do, so what? I wear them all day, as is advised, and my hearing has not deteriorated at all.
My audiologist was saying that when people leave it til they are in their eighties they require more expensive aids because a key factor is the brain’s ability to adapt. And that the younger brain is more adaptable.

Old 03-06-2024, 10:18 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Why the drama? Go get a hearing test.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-06-2024, 10:25 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Antonio View Post
Look.... last Friday I went to the urologist for the treatment of my prostate. The doctor asked me if I had followed his advice about seeing a gastroenterologist and a cardiologist for a check-up.
Now you folks send me to do a hearing test... I'm going to tell you the same thing I told the doctor: If I have to do all the check-ups that you send me, I should go to the hospital almost every day.
How about renting an apartment right across the street so I avoid all the trips to and from the hospital?

As I told the doctor, if I have to live just to get medical tests, I'd rather die but away from the hospital and all that discomfort.
To make matters worse, today's doctors believe that the patient is divided into parts. The urologist only attends to his part and dissociates himself from other ailments. A person is a whole and not a set of parts.

To quote Taylor:

It's me, hi, I'm the problem, it's me
At tea time, everybody agrees
I'll stare directly at the sun but never in the mirror
It must be exhausting always rooting for the anti-hero

If your not willing to work on a solution, don't complain.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-06-2024, 05:12 PM

2,859 posts, read 1,804,521 times
Off Topic.

Luis Antonio, If English is your second language, you communicate very well. It also reminds me when my sons were learning Spanish in school, as a joke, they called me viejita, little old lady in English !

Old 03-07-2024, 06:18 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,047,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
That is all so true.
I cannot understand why people are so opposed to getting hearing aids. Can someone enlighten me?
If it is vanity, and not wanting people to know that you have a hearing problem, surely you realise that it is obvious when you cannot hear normally.
I have had hearing aids for several years, nobody notices them and if they do, so what? I wear them all day, as is advised, and my hearing has not deteriorated at all.
My audiologist was saying that when people leave it til they are in their eighties they require more expensive aids because a key factor is the brain’s ability to adapt. And that the younger brain is more adaptable.
Ronald Reagan's use of hearing aids in 1983 did much for their acceptance. That was over 40 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement