Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 06:52 AM

758 posts, read 851,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
UPDATE: I had a talk with my friend a few days ago. I gave her the two options for a ride. She chose compensating me by paying what the gas cost ME to drive her to her appts. AND she paid for lunch. So, I was happy with the deal. I AM concerned that the frequency of “rides” may increase into other errands besides dr appts. I do not want turn into a taxi. And, I don’t want to keep piling miles onto my car. Also, I don’t want give up my free time…retired. We shall see.

You may want to consider charging the mileage rate that the IRS uses. For 2024 it is 67 cents per mile.

Your trips are much more than just paying for gas. You have depreciation, possible maintenance, insurance, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2024, 02:39 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,832,784 times
Dear friend, I finally told her, when she almost demanded I take her to the Goodwill at 4 pm, then the next morning, another errand. Informed her, I'd be willing to do 1 or 2 errands a week on days convenient for me.

Old 05-10-2024, 02:56 PM

24,781 posts, read 11,170,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Dear friend, I finally told her, when she almost demanded I take her to the Goodwill at 4 pm, then the next morning, another errand. Informed her, I'd be willing to do 1 or 2 errands a week on days convenient for me.
Sometimes you have to be firm. It can be hard. I was always the WFH neighbor picking kids up from school.

Old 05-11-2024, 09:44 AM

11,200 posts, read 9,837,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Sometimes you have to be firm. It can be hard. I was always the WFH neighbor picking kids up from school.
Oh Hail no! Maybe if the kid is bleeding or throwing up, otherwise other people's kids can wait until their parent comes, or the bus brings them home. You WORK from home, not lounge around. If they can't leave their work, why should you be expected to leave yours?

Old 05-11-2024, 10:12 AM

16,378 posts, read 10,511,586 times
OP do you feel put out by doing all of this or are you happy to do it? While I agree the son is acting lazy and selfishly but no I do not believe he is trying to kill his mother for the inheritance. If it were me I'd be happy to do the mail and maybe a grass cut or 2 once in a while but I'd ask her to hire someone for the snow.

Old 05-11-2024, 11:34 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,832,784 times
Setting boundaries can/may be difficult; reminds me, in an emergency on an airplane, one puts the face mask on Yourself first, then another person. It's being self care, Not selfish.

Son ? One reaps what one sows. One doesn't know the relationship between the mother and son, his childhood, teen years.

Old 05-11-2024, 01:53 PM

1,125 posts, read 893,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
You may want to consider charging the mileage rate that the IRS uses. For 2024 it is 67 cents per mile.

Your trips are much more than just paying for gas. You have depreciation, possible maintenance, insurance, etc.
I agree with you…thanks.

Old 05-13-2024, 03:06 PM

4,295 posts, read 5,963,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
OP do you feel put out by doing all of this or are you happy to do it? While I agree the son is acting lazy and selfishly but no I do not believe he is trying to kill his mother for the inheritance. If it were me I'd be happy to do the mail and maybe a grass cut or 2 once in a while but I'd ask her to hire someone for the snow.
Until our neighbor's health, strength, an mobility deteriorated in the past year, she would collect our mail for us when we were out of town visiting our grown children. So "No", collecting mail is not a problem.

We also don't mind mowing her lawn as we do it at the same time as we do our own, and her lawn is smaller. That being said, we didn't mow it last week as we were busy taking care of our Toddler and Infant Grandsons who were here from Long Island. Her grass is now quite long and we our hoping her son will mow it tomorrow during his routine Tuesday visit. If not, we will mow it Wednesday with ours.

Leaf raking is more strenuous, but we purchased an inexpensive, used, gas engined, leaf vacuum this Spring to use ourselves for our yard, share with friends, and clear our neighbor's lawn more easily.

Snow removal is the REAL chore. We aren't certain how much longer we can safely do our own driveway.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 05-13-2024 at 03:41 PM..

Old 05-13-2024, 03:41 PM

4,295 posts, read 5,963,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Until our neighbor's health, strength. and mobility deteriorated in the past year, she would collect our mail for us when we were out of townn visiting our grown children. So "No", collecting mail is not a problem.

We also don't mind mowing her lawn as we do it at the same time as we do our own, and her lawn is smaller. That being said, we didn't mow it last week as we were busy taking care of our Toddler and Infant Grandsons visiting us from the East Coast. Her grass is now quite long snd we our hoping her son will mow it tomorrow during his routine Tuesday visit. If not, we will mow it Wednesdsy with ours.

Leaf raking is more strenuous, but we purchased an inexpensive, used, gas powered leaf vacuum this Spring to use ourselves for our yard, share with friends, and clear our neighbor's lawn more easily..

Snow removal is the REAL chore. We aren't certain how much longer we can safely do our own driveway.

Old 05-13-2024, 04:09 PM

24,781 posts, read 11,170,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Until our neighbor's health, strength. and mobility deteriorated in the past year, she would collect our mail for us when we were out of townn visiting our grown children. So "No", collecting mail is not a problem.

We also don't mind mowing her lawn as we do it at the same time as we do our own, and her lawn is smaller. That being said, we didn't mow it last week as we were busy taking care of our Toddler and Infant Grandsons visiting us from the East Coast. Her grass is now quite long snd we our hoping her son will mow it tomorrow during his routine Tuesday visit. If not, we will mow it Wednesdsy with ours.

Leaf raking is more strenuous, but we purchased an inexpensive, used, gas powered leaf vacuum this Spring to use ourselves for our yard, share with friends, and clear our neighbor's lawn more easily..

It sounds like you have a plan and just need to discuss snow removal with the neighbor. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement