Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 08:58 PM

28,711 posts, read 18,909,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
In a bunch of threads you say women should golden girl it. Maybe men can do the same. I like you but it’s really demeaning to women. I don’t know anyone doing this.
My impression is that Mathjack included men in "golden-girling it." There's not a pop culture reference of a group of old men living together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2024, 09:25 PM

7,811 posts, read 3,392,580 times
Quote:
In a bunch of threads you say women should golden girl it. Maybe men can do the same. I like you but it’s really demeaning to women. I don’t know anyone doing this.
I don't think it has a negative connotation though I think you should be allowed your feelings.

Old 05-08-2024, 01:13 AM

107,125 posts, read 109,484,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
My impression is that Mathjack included men in "golden-girling it." There's not a pop culture reference of a group of old men living together.
exactly , it applies to both , it’s a term that has become unisex

Old 05-08-2024, 05:48 AM

88,860 posts, read 85,293,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I have never been all that into cars and that hasn't changed. I'll be fine tooling around in a golf cart. My husband on the other hand.....
Same here. A car is transportation to me.

Old 05-08-2024, 05:59 AM

3,832 posts, read 2,361,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Vehicles are simple means of transport:>)

For you, maybe. But for some of us, they are freedom, a means of overcoming the limitations of life through speed (vs walking or a horse), and can be kinetic sculpture. I've had over a hundred fun cars and custom hot rods over the last 45 years of driving. I built car models when I was younger. When I'm driving, much of the time it's simply for the fun of becoming one with the machine and feeling the G forces. I also like them to look good to me, as aesthetics are important (not just in cars, but in homes and furnishings and art). Driving feel is also important, both in responsiveness and the way a good car can be a willing dance partner.

Some of my cars over the years:

Regardless of what sort of drive I’ve just had, when I step out of it and am looking back as I’m walking away, it isn’t simply because it’s a good looking car. It’s because I’m fantasizing about drives both past and future. Fantasizing about the nuances of different parts of the drive, or fantasizing about all of the above feelings the car brings. That's why I own cars and buy the ones I do.

Old 05-08-2024, 06:46 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,792,349 times
Quote:
I think its more of a general phrase that applies to both men and women, but regardless, not sure how that would be demeaning anyway as those ladies had a great time living together! Definitely a positive, fun outlook to have as you get older and find yourself in a similar situation.

Old 05-08-2024, 09:58 AM

22,140 posts, read 13,173,357 times
Chiming in to say I also don't see how referring to The Golden Girls, a well-known TV show about seniors cohabitating, is "demeaning to women."

Old 05-08-2024, 11:28 AM

11,201 posts, read 9,840,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
For you, maybe. But for some of us, they are freedom, a means of overcoming the limitations of life through speed (vs walking or a horse), and can be kinetic sculpture. I've had over a hundred fun cars and custom hot rods over the last 45 years of driving. I built car models when I was younger. When I'm driving, much of the time it's simply for the fun of becoming one with the machine and feeling the G forces. I also like them to look good to me, as aesthetics are important (not just in cars, but in homes and furnishings and art). Driving feel is also important, both in responsiveness and the way a good car can be a willing dance partner.

Some of my cars over the years:

Regardless of what sort of drive I’ve just had, when I step out of it and am looking back as I’m walking away, it isn’t simply because it’s a good looking car. It’s because I’m fantasizing about drives both past and future. Fantasizing about the nuances of different parts of the drive, or fantasizing about all of the above feelings the car brings. That's why I own cars and buy the ones I do.

To each their own. I can honestly say I've never fantasized about a car, or a drive, but I know some that do, so you do you.

Everyone has their own criteria. Mine involves reliability, gas mileage, cargo room in the rear, stable and consistent handling, comfort, how well I can see out of it, and then things like aesthetics. I do care about the look, but it's way far down my list, and if it looks good but fails on even one of my higher priority criteria it's not going to happen. It's certainly made my life much more affordable. It saves on purchase costs, gas, repairs, insurance, maintenance, even registration and sales taxes. I've always lived to a tighter budget, so over the years, life cycle costs have factored heavily into my decisions, and good habits like that are hard for me to break. Now that I can afford to buy whatever I might want, I find that I actually want is to save money on transportation. Go figure.

But to bring it back to the topic, watching costs like this as I have, was part of being able to retire early, as I was able to put more into investments/saving, and I know that my transportation costs in retirement are minimized. Fewer expenses in retirement makes for an easier early retirement. And I don't consider that to have been a sacrifice on any level.

If you want to retire early, and you can't rely on the lottery or inheritance, you need to do the math.

Last edited by TheShadow; 05-08-2024 at 11:40 AM..

Old 05-08-2024, 11:38 AM

821 posts, read 408,095 times
/\ /\ Same here!
Reliability and gas mileage are all I care about. That's why I drive a Honda. I have no need to impress myself, family, friends or people on the street with the brand/prestige of any car.

Old 05-08-2024, 11:43 AM

22,140 posts, read 13,173,357 times
Because I care only about reliability, I'm going to continue to drive my OLD Toyota rather than buy a new car unless and until I absolutely have to. They don't make 'em like that anymore! Can't do anything about gas prices, though, but thankfully it's also a gas-sipper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement