Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM

88,691 posts, read 85,035,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
A good late model, low mileage used car in one of the very reliable brands (we prefer Honda, Toyota, or Subaru) will last a long time with few repairs. It'll save you money over buying a brand new one and will last darn near forever. One or two years old with less than 12K miles would be great. It'll save you thousands. I've always driven these makes and they've always lasted many years. My last Honda went 18 years with only an AC repair in all that time. Just do your regular oil changes and recommended periodic maintenance.
I bought my 2010 Toyota Corolla in 2012 w about 27k on it. Now it has 179k and change. Except for the fact that I'm so tall and getting older so getting in and out is becoming awkward and uncomfortable, I still like the car. It's taken me to a lot of places, and I haven't had to put that much money into it repair-wise.

Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM

3,808 posts, read 2,338,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
A good late model, low mileage used car in one of the very reliable brands (we prefer Honda, Toyota, or Subaru) will last a long time with few repairs. It'll save you money over buying a brand new one and will last darn near forever. One or two years old with less than 12K miles would be great. It'll save you thousands. I've always driven these makes and they've always lasted many years. My last Honda went 18 years with only an AC repair in all that time. Just do your regular oil changes and recommended periodic maintenance.

I couldn't do that. I'd end up in a car accident due to boring-car-induced narcolepsy... lol

Retiring in a couple months and I'm keeping my 2013 MINI Cooper JCW Roadster, and 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV. The Bolt is quick, fun, practical and cheap to own. The MINI is quick, fun, not terribly practical (2 seat convertible), but cheap to own. But who knows. If something interesting comes along...
Attached Thumbnails
why planning to work longer  is not going to work-mini-bolt4.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM

106,899 posts, read 109,156,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
I couldn't do that. I'd end up in a car accident due to boring-car-induced narcolepsy... lol

Retiring in a couple months and I'm keeping my 2013 MINI Cooper JCW Roadster, and 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV. The Bolt is quick, fun, practical and cheap to own. The MINI is quick, fun, not terribly practical (2 seat convertible), but cheap to own. But who knows. If something interesting comes along...
the subaru outback bored me to death .

it had so little power at times it was scary.

the lexus rx500h we have has not only a turbo in it but two big electric motors to go with the gas driven engine

0-60 is more then 3x faster

Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM

17,432 posts, read 16,608,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

the lexus rx500h we have has not only a turbo in it but two big electric motors to go with the gas driven engine

I have never been all that into cars and that hasn't changed. I'll be fine tooling around in a golf cart. My husband on the other hand.....

Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM

7,704 posts, read 3,319,818 times
Quote:
once an older employee reaches 65 they have to take medicare part A so that is a big plus for a work place insurance company , who now has a partner in your health care

Is it mandatory to take Part A at 65? Is that what you are saying. All the seminars I have attended and I did not pick up on that. I thought if you are working and covered you can delay Medicare until you retire. Did I miss something?

Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM

yes part A is mandatory as well as free if you qualify for medicare

In fact, if you don't pay a premium for Part A, you cannot refuse or “opt out” of this coverage unless you also give up your Social Security or Railroad Retirement Board benefits.

Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM

7,704 posts, read 3,319,818 times
Quote:
yes part A is mandatory as well as free if you qualify for medicare

In fact, if you don't pay a premium for Part A, you cannot refuse or “opt out” of this coverage unless you also give up your Social Security or Railroad Retirement Board benefits.

Mandatory at 65? I plan to work until 67 and will be fully covered. I thought I could wait until I retired to take Part A and B.

Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM

4,347 posts, read 7,255,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Is it mandatory to take Part A at 65? Is that what you are saying. All the seminars I have attended and I did not pick up on that. I thought if you are working and covered you can delay Medicare until you retire. Did I miss something?
Part A (as well as Part B) is not mandatory at age 65 if your are still employed, your employer has 20 or more employees, and you are enrolled in their group medical coverage.

Many go ahead and enroll in Part A anyway, when they turn 65, as it would be premium-free for most. Probably the only reason not to enroll would be for those contributing to an HSA. You can no longer contribute to an HSA when you start Medicare, but you can continue to make withdrawals for qualified out-of-pocket medical expenses.

Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM

our company health insurance requires you to have part A except under certain circumstances.

we have 325 employees so one better check with their hr dept ….

Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM

24,683 posts, read 11,023,362 times
Quote:

It suits your needs. Enjoy!
It would not suit my needs. So my garage queen is still around and as SO claims goes 1 year to the gallon. One of the last S10 and in prime condition with 45k miles.
Convertibles and sports cars came and went.
Now a yuppi truck does for SO - GMC Canyon.
Vehicles are simple means of transport:>)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement