Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 07:20 AM

22,126 posts, read 13,165,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
9 years after i retired they still have me coming in a day or two .. but i enjoy what i do so i let them. no benefits though , but they do pay me well
Why would you need the benefits? Younger workers do, but you don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2024, 07:24 AM

107,117 posts, read 109,467,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Why would you need the benefits? Younger workers do, but you don't.
i would have liked their dental plan , their life insurance , paid vacation time , etc . only thing i don’t need or want is their medical

but you need a minimum amount of hours for those perks , more then i want to work

i didn’t want to add anymore to our retirement money but for a while i was putting my entire pay check in the 401k and getting a small match .

Old 05-07-2024, 07:29 AM

22,126 posts, read 13,165,885 times
Quote:
i would have liked their dental plan , their life insurance , paid vacation time , etc . only thing i don’t need or want is their medical

but you need a minimum amount of hours for those perks , more then i want to work
I would think you'd have dental coverage under a Medicare advantage/supplemental plan? I do, and my former employer pays for it. I have never understood why dental isn't included under regular health insurance, as being able to eat and not having abscesses is pretty integral to overall health, but I rant...

Old 05-07-2024, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I would think you'd have dental coverage under a Medicare advantage/supplemental plan? I do, and my former employer pays for it. I have never understood why dental isn't included under regular health insurance, as being able to eat and not having abscesses is pretty integral to overall health, but I rant...
i don’t want any advantage plan .. we have a quasi dental plan thru our own dentist that they offer. but it doesn’t cover much.

medicare and supplements have no dental coverage , that is only advantage plans

i would only take a for profit insurer controlled advantage plan if i couldn’t afford not for profit govt medicare and supplement

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-07-2024 at 07:48 AM..

Old 05-07-2024, 07:47 AM

88,865 posts, read 85,274,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
That's great to read, I'm glad for you. But for those of us with a car who commuted 5 days a week the costs would not go down, only up as prices rise.
True. But now I can buy a good car like the rest of you always have. I never could afford a train ticket AND a car payment for a vehicle that would sit home or in a parking lot. I drove beaters all my life and rented a car if I needed to take a trip.

Finally in 2012 I bought a 2010 when Sandy washed out my train bridge and I had to drive to work.

Lol, still have that car. Haven't yet pulled the trigger on a newer one. But soon. It's too small and I make noises getting in and out of it, but so good on gas.

Old 05-07-2024, 07:50 AM

we are doing more frequent longer drives in retirement so we went for a high end luxury car .

compared to our 2018 subaru outback our 2023 lexus rx500h is night and day

Old 05-07-2024, 09:15 AM

Quote:
we are doing more frequent longer drives in retirement so we went for a high end luxury car .

compared to our 2018 subaru outback our 2023 lexus rx500h is night and day
Ha. Outback is on my list (although the Forester looks better because it's two inches taller and that might be more important to someone of my height than it is to regular people). But I am not a "we" and I am not as rich as you are, so no Lexus for me.

Old 05-07-2024, 10:23 AM

11,200 posts, read 9,837,840 times
A good late model, low mileage used car in one of the very reliable brands (we prefer Honda, Toyota, or Subaru) will last a long time with few repairs. It'll save you money over buying a brand new one and will last darn near forever. One or two years old with less than 12K miles would be great. It'll save you thousands. I've always driven these makes and they've always lasted many years. My last Honda went 18 years with only an AC repair in all that time. Just do your regular oil changes and recommended periodic maintenance.

Old 05-07-2024, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
A good late model, low mileage used car in one of the very reliable brands (we prefer Honda, Toyota, or Subaru) will last a long time with few repairs. It'll save you money over buying a brand new one and will last darn near forever. One or two years old with less than 12K miles would be great. It'll save you thousands. I've always driven these makes and they've always lasted many years. My last Honda went 18 years with only an AC repair in all that time. Just do your regular oil changes and recommended periodic maintenance.
I bought my 2010 Toyota Corolla in 2012 w about 27k on it. Now it has 179k and change. Except for the fact that I'm so tall and getting older so getting in and out is becoming awkward and uncomfortable, I still like the car. It's taken me to a lot of places, and I haven't had to put that much money into it repair-wise.

Old 05-07-2024, 12:53 PM

3,832 posts, read 2,359,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post

I couldn't do that. I'd end up in a car accident due to boring-car-induced narcolepsy... lol

Retiring in a couple months and I'm keeping my 2013 MINI Cooper JCW Roadster, and 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV. The Bolt is quick, fun, practical and cheap to own. The MINI is quick, fun, not terribly practical (2 seat convertible), but cheap to own. But who knows. If something interesting comes along...
Attached Thumbnails
why planning to work longer  is not going to work-mini-bolt4.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement