Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 11:46 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times

Advertisements

Didn't read all the responses in this thread.

But my advice:

Live beneath your means, don't buy a new car often, invest in index mutual funds, maximize 401(k), and ROTH. Don't buy new stuff all the time (don't be materialistic), don't use credit cards unless you can pay the balance monthly.

I never bought a house (I'm in the military) - so I can't talk about building equity. If you live in the same city/town for over 5 yrs, it probably is a good idea to buy a home to build equity.

Check you pm. I'll give you a good website for more information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 12:11 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Read Bob Clyatt's "Work Less, Live More" - and early retirement book.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:49 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
The best way to retire early is to marry a woman with a good job, and treat her so good that she will let you stay home and do what you want.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:47 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
WOW I wish I had planned as early as you on retirement. Would have been a big help when I became Disabled at 45!! Oh pets are fine just be careful what kind & how many they can drain resorces fast If they get sick or injured. But dont deny yourself their love adopt a homeless animal there are all kinds needing loving homes.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:22 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerjack88 View Post
I would like to get some advice/suggestions from retirees (recent and not) on how one could retire early. What I would like to know is: what one did in order to retire early (before retirement age 62)? I am a single 28 year old female and will begin working in government (county-sector) and would like to know what to do in order to retire in 15, 20,25 years. I don't plan on having children---any time soon anyway, nor a husband . I have a couple of suze orman books and a david bach book...Any advice and stories are helpful. Thank you
If you want advice on tax planning, talk to someone who does not pay taxes. If your tax advisor does pay taxes, then obviously he is missing the boat somewhere and does not understand the system.

If you seek advice on investments talk to someone who has been successful in investing. Any broker who has personally earned less than you have, is obviously a doofus.

If you seek advice on early retirement, talk to folks who have retired early.

In each case, there are plenty of folks who will give you their 'advise'.

How many of them will actually be successful?

How many of them can actually give to you advise on a successful strategy?

Old 03-25-2008, 03:41 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,130,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerjack88 View Post
I would like to get some advice/suggestions from retirees (recent and not) on how one could retire early. What I would like to know is: what one did in order to retire early (before retirement age 62)? I am a single 28 year old female and will begin working in government (county-sector) and would like to know what to do in order to retire in 15, 20,25 years. I don't plan on having children---any time soon anyway, nor a husband . I have a couple of suze orman books and a david bach book...Any advice and stories are helpful. Thank you
Greetings, I just recently retired at 49, I must say if you don't plan on having kid's you are a step ahead already. Does your goverment job offer a pension
and does it offer a 457 which is a goverment/city type IRA account,that you can take when you retire and not get penalized...BUT you will be taxed 20%
But you can also take it in monthly payments.What I did was take a city job in NY(law enforcement) which has a 20 year pension.As soon as I took the job, like you had the vision and forsight to plan for retirement, So I started the deductions for the 457,also did some overtime, and purchased a home 21 years ago.At around my 15th year I started planning where did I want to live that my pension would go the far and only be taxed federal.I picked PA, What you want to do when you retire, as long as you have a pension,and I have that and addition the 457 which I draw montly,taxed only federal, move to a place with a low cost of living,yet a good quality of life,where you can purchase a home and still not stress yourself.You are on the right track
plan now so you don't have to work forever,life is too short! good luck!

Old 03-25-2008, 09:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Your government pension is most likely a lifetime annunity which is good. You also need to look at any plan for additional savings;investment plans.Start thinking about retirement now and save.Do not get yourself into a credit crunch by using credit that you can't payoff.Always save toward any thing like a new car you are going to buy and don't be one that buys a new car every three-four years.The main thing is to not keep up eith the Jones because the Jones probably are in hock up to there rear.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:06 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Use the county job to get experience for a state job and that for a federal job. Forget the private sector unless you own the business. Even then do not expect to get much money out of it until you sell out if it is a success (20% chance). Most likely you will sink all of your available time and money into a failed business (80% chance) and be left with both debts and bad memories.

Some suggest you develop the discipline to live frugally and trust your money to others so they can live large. You should:

Avoid spending money on vacations and other enjoyable and expensive things.
Live in the smallest house you can stand and learn to repair it your self.
Save some in gold as a hedge against inflation or market collapse (near certainty in this fiscal situation).
Keep some money under the mattress.
When you do retire and are living off the interest do not touch the capital.

If you do these things your heirs can benefit from your frugality. Please remember your frugality will be remembered by the folks that made far more money off your savings than you have.

When you are considering this and all the other sage advice please remember that you only have ONE life and you should enjoy it as much as you can. Do not obsess over retirement but just save a bit and enjoy yourself while you have the health and youth so you will have great memories to retire with.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:02 AM

47 posts, read 111,761 times
Default well bought the house...

Thanks guys for all the replies. They were/are definitely appreciated . I bought a house for 185k and am going to live below my means. But I must tell you that I have no furniture and that I am moving into a 1600 sq house from a studio apt. I am tempted to fill it up with furniture. But it is only me. I think that I could be spending that money in a savings account. I will have my student loan paid off in 2012. I need reassurance guys. help.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:18 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsey View Post
Thanks guys for all the replies. They were/are definitely appreciated . I bought a house for 185k and am going to live below my means. But I must tell you that I have no furniture and that I am moving into a 1600 sq house from a studio apt. I am tempted to fill it up with furniture. But it is only me. I think that I could be spending that money in a savings account. I will have my student loan paid off in 2012. I need reassurance guys. help.
Obviously you need some furniture. But if the house is more than you need, you do not have to fill it up. There is nothing wrong with just closing off a few rooms if you don't need them.

It does make sense to buy a house that most people would like because it will appreciate better. I have such a house and it is now worth more than 3 times what I paid for it, even with the market slump we are in. But I don't really need all the rooms in it. Shutting extra bedroom doors and closing the heat registers means you are spending less on heating and cooling unused rooms.

If I were you, I would spend some time thinking about my personal style and then look for quality furniture that will last forever. Look for sales and only buy a piece at a time as you can afford it. A few good pieces that work well and that you love will make you happier than a houseful of crap that is difficult to use and that you just tolerate.

If you are desperate for something to put things in, look at some of the inexpensive but attractive knock-down kits. They aren't great furniture, but can do the job at little cost. Quite a few of them have trim now that makes them attractive to look at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement