Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 06:36 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,024,553 times

Advertisements

IKEA | Home furnishings, kitchens, appliances, sofas, beds, mattresses

Maybe you can get more info from them on delivery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 06:57 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,980,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Here in AZ they will find a truck/delivery service to bring you the goods, but they do not have their own delivery system. I am not sure of the costs. We will have to make a couple of trips with a U-Haul and then the trek across Phoenix, ug.
Are you far from Conn?
The IKEA here is a good hour from me. One of my kids has a truck but he's out straight so it's too much to ask. I cannot drive any kind of truck. Umbria posted the link, I'll give them a call. I did look at the fridges, they are much less expensive than those at Sears, HD, Lowes, etc. The electric ranges are pricey though.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:09 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,408,487 times
Yea, those 1950 homes are the size that makes sense for the smaller families of today. Less space means less maintenance; less energy to heat and cool; less space to fill with furnishings; less investment to buy; less yardwork---a whole bunch of less. The bad part is these older homes needs upgrades of insulation, heating, wiring etc.

I wish there were much smaller homes available today that are built new with modern amenities, available for modest income seniors. A new small ranch--that is all a senior needs. Much better than these overpriced and ever rising homeowners fees of condos and senior developments. Here in Denver, you do not need a big yard to maintain because there are a plethora of parks and recreational areas all over the city and suburbs.

Yet, I do see many smaller homes that have been fully remodeled and are priced competively. Many more seem to appear because of all the foreclosures and it has allowed contractors/remodelers to buy cheap and put more remodeled homes on the market. Some are all brick and are in developed neigborhoods with NO homeowners fees. Maybe this whole housing depression is not bad because it has caused more homes and neighborhoods to be recycled/renewed; much better than abandoning them and building more and more developments further out from the cities.

I live in an infilled development of homes that were built in the 1980s surrounded by homes built in the 1960s. Developers should be given incentives to built within certain dense areas of the cities instead of further out that causes the construction of more costly highways, sewers and stress on water resources, especially in the arid west. The advantage of infilled housing is that it comes with nice developed parks, walkable stores, and already established public transit.

Livecontent

Old 03-20-2011, 07:23 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,201,975 times
Excellent points, Livecontent. It's very frustrating not to be able to find newer, smaller, detached houses outside of senior communities.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,748 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The IKEA here is a good hour from me. ...
A 'StealthRabbit' is a superb delivery truck. I built more than one house using one. I have both roof rack and my 'Snowbear' trailer for loads up to 20' (rebar, piping, sheet goods (and refrigerators)). Admittedly, my mileage drops from 50 mpg to 46 when tugging the trailer or with roof rack installed.

IKEA's $.99 Breakfast = "living on a Shoestring"

Had one just this morning when I needed to take a friend to the airport. (BTW: Food is the only thing I have ever bought there. I hope it isn't a 'Loss-Leader'...)

Old 03-21-2011, 05:14 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,980,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
A 'StealthRabbit' is a superb delivery truck. I built more than one house using one. I have both roof rack and my 'Snowbear' trailer for loads up to 20' (rebar, piping, sheet goods (and refrigerators)). Admittedly, my mileage drops from 50 mpg to 46 when tugging the trailer or with roof rack installed.

IKEA's $.99 Breakfast = "living on a Shoestring"

Had one just this morning when I needed to take a friend to the airport. (BTW: Food is the only thing I have ever bought there. I hope it isn't a 'Loss-Leader'...)
I always wondered where you got your name from, have never heard of a SR truck!

Old 03-27-2011, 05:13 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I always wondered where you got your name from, have never heard of a SR truck!
They were quite popular, my boss waited months and paid over list to buy his VW Rabbit Diesel Pickup.

He had a specialty shop and his old Dodge Van was killing him in the mileage department so he got the Diesel.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:56 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,853,584 times
Well, I just wrote my checks to pay my taxes this year and I am truly in shock. Not to go into specifics, but I thought I had it figured out pretty well, but I was way off....boy, when a person is single with no extra deductions to take...wow, I got hit really hard. I actually cried.

So I have to make more adjustments and redo my "shoestring" budget.... if those xxxxx politicians raise our taxes any more than they already are, I just don't know how people are going to make it. And I consider myself a middle income person (or lower middle income since I live in California).

Anyway, thanks for being here and letting me vent...

Old 03-29-2011, 02:13 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Well, I just wrote my checks to pay my taxes this year and I am truly in shock. Not to go into specifics, but I thought I had it figured out pretty well, but I was way off....boy, when a person is single with no extra deductions to take...wow, I got hit really hard. I actually cried.

So I have to make more adjustments and redo my "shoestring" budget.... if those xxxxx politicians raise our taxes any more than they already are, I just don't know how people are going to make it. And I consider myself a middle income person (or lower middle income since I live in California).

Anyway, thanks for being here and letting me vent...
Ouch! You have my sympathies. Oregon income tax is very high. I was hoping I could offset some of it by using medical expenses as some of my retired friends do but since I did work last year I had to pay the full amount. It was bad enough when I was working but now that I'm not it stinks!

But the nice lady from AARP who did my taxes for me told me she was certain I could get a good write-off for this year's taxes. Although by the end of the year I hope to be out of Oregon.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:47 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,408,487 times
You could do more automatic estimated tax, quarterly; have more taken out of your paycheck or pension. Then you can fool yourself in thinking that you are a winner when you get your tax rebate! Some people do that because they use these methods to save money??? like a christmas fund.

Or, a better way is to remain poor, have little income then you will not have to do a tax return; or you can have your income from tax free securities; or you can be real wealthy and find all those schemes to avoid paying any tax.

I like the idea of just being poor--it is so much simplier.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement