Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2011, 02:37 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,921,416 times

Advertisements

To get a good idea of monthly costs: write down each day for a month ANYTHING you buy.....gum, coffee, groceries, home supplies, medicine, pets stuff, gas, entertainment costs etc. Be very focused, leave out nothing, not a dvd rental, a book of stamps, an imported beer.....

Then add in the costs you have already listed, (which are low, I think) to get an estimate.

Unfortunately, you might need more than expected for retirement!

Don't forget emergencies too! Must keep some $ for that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I guess not. I just calculated with $300 for insurance, $300 for medical , $200 for food and $100 extra, but I guess I would have to pay for utilities at least. In my state they can be like $500 per month in the winter.

But I think if you don't have a housing payment, would it be difficult to retire on say $1500 per month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 02:48 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,438,469 times
Wow you're right. It's a little more expensive than I thought.

My sister and I help my mom out with $$ sometimes. How do you guys feel adult children play into the equation of living on a "budget?"

Old 04-07-2011, 03:22 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,921,416 times
Oh I see...sounds like you are trying to figure out where mom's money goes? so this info is not for you? Well, no. 1: health problems involved? That is like quicksand for money......my meds are so expensive now I beg my MD for samples when I go in for appt. (I am only 57....).

Can you work with her to determine where the money goes? Help her with a basic budget, so she and you know what is needed or what could be deleted to save? I am sure it is hard for children to help pay for parents-when they themselves could put it to use...is that your feeling perhaps?

We all have to help each other out. If you value how mom raised you and think of sacrifices she made through the years ( some you do not know of), maybe it would not be annoying or a hardship for you after all.

(that is if you feel that way, you did not specifically state that....I am just guessing )

Quote:
Wow you're right. It's a little more expensive than I thought.

My sister and I help my mom out with $$ sometimes. How do you guys feel adult children play into the equation of living on a "budget?"

Old 04-07-2011, 04:44 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,600,087 times
Plenty of retired people rent apartments and have rent payments due every month. Rent takes up the vast majority of one's monthly social security income.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:45 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,003,788 times
Quote:

They should help. That's why I had kids.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:36 PM

37,535 posts, read 61,568,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
On essential living expenses, where else? And if it's all you get (that is, no income from other investments or paid work), you can't live on it.
Sure you can.

We have a neighbor whose only source of income is a rental, she gets $650/month in rent.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:10 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,037,911 times
Quote:
They should help. That's why I had kids.
Amen!

Old 04-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Status: " living in beautiful Charleston South Carolina" (set 11 days ago)

8,825 posts, read 21,312,996 times
Umbria~~ I see you are from Edina which I know is near The Mall of America. I have been wanting togo there forever. Is it worth the trip?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-07-2011, 08:29 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,958,735 times
Quote:
I am not sure that the kind of rent assistance you are talking about (for the general population) is the same as senior subsidized housing, where you apply and then get on a list and when you're called you prove what your income is directly to the housing office (not some voucher or Section 8 program). Does anyone know for sure?
Section 8 Housing Vouchers (supplied by the Department of Urban Housing and Development - HUD) are available to anyone below a certain income. Low income seniors and disabled rely heavily upon vouchers due to their circumstances. The waiting list can be for years.

In addition, HUD administers housing units (like apartments) designated for low income seniors/disabled. This is probably what you are thinking of. HUD also supplies housing for low income families. A married senior couple or two seniors who have thrown in together can be considered as a "family" and thus eligible for an apartment in a family project. A Section 8 Voucher is not required for either of these types of housing, but again, the wait list can be long.

HUD funding is under attack by the Republican members of Congress. If proposed cuts are enacted, untold numbers of low income seniors and disabled will be put out into the streets. The Tea Party wants to kill me. I don't like them.

Finally, there is a housing program which falls under the Department of Agriculture and is administered by the Rural Development Agency. The RDA provides housing units to low income rural residents. I don't specifically know the status of their funding, but given the current political climate, I'm sure its not good.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:02 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,976,794 times
One way I survive and thrive is renting out rooms in my big old Victorian house. I live only 4 blocks from the University of Pennsylvania, 2 blocks from USP (University of the Sciences Philadelphia - the oldest pharmacy college in the US, founded by Benjamin Franklin) 5 blocks from Walnut Hill College and 10 blocks from Drexel University. I do not rent to undergraduate students; my tenants include a Drexel University professor and the others are graduate students, two from India.

I get $500 per month per room; so from rents I collect $2000 a month ... this pays for the mortgage plus one or two utility bills. However heating the big old house in winter is expensive (10 1/2 foot high ceilings!) But the guys are great guys, mature and clean and responsible. They love living in an elegant old Victorian house with stained glass windows, ornate fireplaces, crystal chandeliers, pocket doors, etc. As a single guy I lived most of my adult life living in an apartment - alone. Now I live in a house full of ... people! It's great, I find it very agreeable. Over the past decade I had students from Italy, Turkey, Poland, India, and other parts of the US. Yes, I sometimes find a dirty dish in sink, or a strange pair of boxer shorts in my dryer ... but I am like the den mother; I very gently berate the guys!

Would any of you ever consider renting a space in your home to an outsider?

Do you think I am crazy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement