Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 07:57 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,961,351 times

Advertisements

This is a cool thread. I'm glad I discovered it! I will be 60 this fall and am currently living on SSDI and the pay (minimum wage) from a part time job as a motel desk clerk. My income is low enough that I qualify for food stamps, medicaid and a section 8 housing voucher. With all these things cobbled together, I am able to live simply and don't go for want of anything. I am surprised at how little I REALLY need. I do the standard hitting the thrift stores and yard sales. I love books and have discovered that on Amazon.com you can buy used books in excellent condition for as little as one penny and 3.99 shipping and handling. Even the local used book store won't give me such a great bargain! The same for music CD's. Amazon offers an astonishing array of used ones in excellent condition and priced as low as .99 cents!

I have two cats and get them their shots for only $12.00 each through the local animal rescue. I got my babies as kittens through the same rescue outfit, and they came spayed and neutered, all vaccines only $30.00 each. What a bargain for my little fur faces!

I live in a small town with no bus services, but there is a county transportation service that will pick you up at your door, take you to your destination and home again - just like a taxi - for only $3.00 round trip. I use them for major shopping expeditions or places more than a mile away. Less than a mile, I walk and save the $3.00 and get the benefit of the exercise.

My major concern is the cuts being made to the section 8 housing voucher program. Without my voucher, I'd be out on the street - literally. I worry a lot about this - being in my sixties and suddenly becoming homeless. I am worried enough that I am looking into voc-rehab to see if I can get the training to engage in higher paid and more productive work than my current minimum wage job. Don't know if I will be able to surmount my disabilities enough to pull it off, but I'm sure going to give it a try. Does anyone else here use a housing voucher to help them get by and, if so, what are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 10:07 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,007,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I also have a fondness for other goods and services...like gas, electricity, water and sewer!
I was thinking we could do without all that.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I purchased a Maytag stacking washer/dryer about 3 years ago. No problems, yet. I did not choose the stackable front loaders because I would have had difficulty reaching the upper dials (or buttons?) and because I wanted to fold the clothes on the lid of the washer before moving them out of the laundry room. (hope that makes sense.)
It would make sense if you DID choose the stackable front loader for the washing machine, which goes on the bottom. Is that what you meant?

Old 04-06-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Does anyone else here use a housing voucher to help them get by and, if so, what are your thoughts?
I don't know about vouchers but I have heard of seniors getting into senior subsidized housing (rent and utilities = 1/3 your income). Check it out at your local senior agency.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:28 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,798,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I don't know about vouchers but I have heard of seniors getting into senior subsidized housing (rent and utilities = 1/3 your income). Check it out at your local senior agency.
Subsidized rent through HUD is often referred to as Section 8 Housing and the certificate holders are issued Housing Vouchers based on family unit size and income threshold.

The amount of rent the Voucher Holder pays is calculated by income and factoring rent along with the Utility Allowance.

I used to manage a fair number of subsidized homes and apartments... some renters paid very little and other almost all of the rent.

Being eligible and receiving the Voucher is the first part and can take years in some areas... then the holder must find a rent reasonable unit that meets Housing Quality Standards.

Another important point with Vouchers are they are portable... they can be transferred to units in other cities... not simple, but very doable.

Many cities and counties have Housing Authorities...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 04-08-2011 at 12:02 PM..

Old 04-07-2011, 01:12 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,793 posts, read 58,301,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
This is a cool thread. I'm glad I discovered it! .... I love books...you can buy used books ...for as little as one penny and 3.99 shipping and handling. ...
I live in a small town .... I am looking into voc-rehab to see if I can get the training to engage in higher paid and more productive work than my current minimum wage job. Don't know if I will be able to surmount my disabilities enough to pull it off, but I'm sure going to give it a try. ...
Have been in and through Cortez many times, Tho I'm from the other corner of Colorado myself (Grew up near Masonville, view from my home). devil's backbone colorado - Google Search but I also spent time in Grover and Hereford

If you like Amazon, you should love Trade Books for Free, Book Swap, Trade Audiobooks » PaperBack Swap That is where I 'trade' books for postage costs only. (Just got three this week)

What type of job do you want, Not sure if you can do transcription work, but it is a decent paying PT opportunity (medical and Legal)

Old 04-07-2011, 11:10 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,442,472 times
Quote:
Who are you directing this question to?
Everyone in general. I'm trying to figure out if you get $900 is SS per month...where does it all go?

Old 04-07-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Everyone in general. I'm trying to figure out if you get $900 is SS per month...where does it all go?
On essential living expenses, where else? And if it's all you get (that is, no income from other investments or paid work), you can't live on it.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Subsidized rent through HUD is often referred to as Section 8 Housing and the certificate holders are issued Housing Vouchers based on family unit size.

The amount of rent the Voucher Holder pays is calculated by income and factoring rent along with the Utility Allowance.

I used to manage a fair number of subsidized homes and apartments... some renters paid very little and other almost all of the rent.

Being eligible and receiving the Voucher is the first part and can take years in some areas... then the holder must find a rent reasonable unit that meets Housing Quality Standards.

Another important point with Vouchers are they are portable... they can be transferred to units in other cities... not simple, but very doable.

Many cities and counties have Housing Authorities...
I am not sure that the kind of rent assistance you are talking about (for the general population) is the same as senior subsidized housing, where you apply and then get on a list and when you're called you prove what your income is directly to the housing office (not some voucher or Section 8 program). Does anyone know for sure?

Old 04-07-2011, 02:02 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,442,472 times
Quote:
On essential living expenses, where else? And if it's all you get (that is, no income from other investments or paid work), you can't live on it.
I guess not. I just calculated with $300 for insurance, $300 for medical , $200 for food and $100 extra, but I guess I would have to pay for utilities at least. In my state they can be like $500 per month in the winter.

But I think if you don't have a housing payment, would it be difficult to retire on say $1500 per month?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement