Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 10:17 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,675,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
In cold weather I've always thought the perfect pair of casual pants would be fleece-lined or flannel-lined jeans, does anyone know if this exists and if so where it could be bought at a reasonable price?
I wear long underwear. Every spring, people ask me if I've lost weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 12:07 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,614,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
I wear long underwear. Every spring, people ask me if I've lost weight.
That's what I did before, long underwear with jeans but it was a tight fit and even worse kept bunching up making the fit even worse. Next winter I'll ready with comfy fleece/flannel lined jeans thanks to this thread haha.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:10 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,709,972 times
Duluth Trading company makes flannel lined jeans, and fleece lined work pants.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:30 PM

10,419 posts, read 14,655,238 times
L.L. Bean makes flannel-lined chinos as well. I've been wearing them for a number of years and they are very warm and comfortable. I highly recommend them.

When washing them wash in cold water only. Hot water shrinks them far more than it does unlined chinos. My first pair went to my late wife after washing. They fit her properly although her waist was about 14'' smaller than mine. Fortunately, we laundered the biggger person's first.

Ladies should note that these pants do look baggy and sloppy.

Remember that cotton is warm and comfortable when dry but provides no insulation whatsoever when wet. Studies have shown that body temperature drops more quickly with wet denim than with wet bare skin. Skin dries; denim does not.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:34 PM

2,114 posts, read 1,949,547 times
Quote:
That's what I did before, long underwear with jeans but it was a tight fit and even worse kept bunching up making the fit even worse. Next winter I'll ready with comfy fleece/flannel lined jeans thanks to this thread haha.
I have flannel lined pants but prefer wearing merino wool tight with regular unlined pants in very cold day. Merino wool is light weight, warm, very comfortable to wear unlike the old style heavy weave cotton thermal underwear.
I also have the merino long sleeve undershirt. It looks very nice and can be worn with just a jacket when it is not too cold.
I got them both at Sierra Trading Post clearance sale.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:34 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,019,937 times
Just a thought here...this is a thread about retiring on a (yes literal) shoestring, which in my mind at least is not about retirees who can afford expensive catalog clothing, who have shopping addictions, or hundreds of thousands of dollars in retirement funds. This is all getting us off the track of this particular thread. Can we chat about this other stuff on another one?

Old 04-01-2015, 01:57 PM

25,452 posts, read 9,882,427 times
Elliott, I am so very sorry about your dog! They are indeed our family and our children. Hugs to you as you go through this sad time, and as you figure out how to go forward.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:36 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,384,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Just a thought here...this is a thread about retiring on a (yes literal) shoestring, which in my mind at least is not about retirees who can afford expensive catalog clothing, who have shopping addictions, or hundreds of thousands of dollars in retirement funds. This is all getting us off the track of this particular thread. Can we chat about this other stuff on another one?
Some of the reference to shopping online was to save money at the clearance events, such as the Sierra Trading Post. I looked at the clearance section that you could reduce even further by 30% more. Seemed quite frugal to me, and the prices for such items were excellent.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:09 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,327,240 times
Quote:
Amazingly enough I have never thought to google or check on Ebay for this although I've bought many things from Ebay/Amazon, thanks!
This is a very good alternative. You can wear them under any of your summer jeans and your legs stay nice and toastie. They wash fine but don't dry them in a hot dryer. They also last for a long time and I've been known to just wear them as stretch pants.

They have a top which I got one of too, then took a shirt and sewed it to the bottom, cutting the top down the front. Pleating it looked just like the stuff you see in the store but its really nice and warm. I got a zipper long enough for the front and sewed it in too, and its got lots of wear this winter. I may make a few more for next year.

The pants are also very comfortable. I get a large though they stretch since its comfortably loose but not too much. They make them open fly and closed fly too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 04-01-2015, 04:24 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,019,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Some of the reference to shopping online was to save money at the clearance events, such as the Sierra Trading Post. I looked at the clearance section that you could reduce even further by 30% more. Seemed quite frugal to me, and the prices for such items were excellent.
fair enough!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement