Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2010, 07:31 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,373,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
My son just gave me a new freezer (freestanding). I'm wondering how full I need to keep it, and if it's not should I fill it in with ice bags.

Someone earlier said I can freeze in glass jars. Can they be touching or should I separate them with something?
When our chest freezer is running low, we feel it is a good time to defrost and clean it. We haul everything out, chip away any ice, and wipe it all down with hot soapy water. Then we begin re-filling with a layer of soda bottles filled with water.

We have found that ice in glass jars will too often shatter the glass.

Having a layer [or three] of ice filled soda bottles in the bottom both fills the air-space which makes in freezer more efficient; and it also helps when the power goes out to hold the freezer at temp for longer periods of time [hopefully until the power comes back on].

Living in N.E. we decided a couple years ago to move our chest freezer outside. We have it on the North side of our house where sun never shines. Alongside of it we also have a row of steel drums. In the winter a snow bank forms around both freezer and drums, and the freezer rarely turns on.
We find that early in the winter we commonly have a huge over-abundance of meat, so we fill those drums with food and bury them in snow. As the winter continues we eat the frozen goods in the drums first. By spring when the snow bank recedes, hopefully, everything will once again fit into the freezer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 01:24 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,966,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
When our chest freezer is running low, we feel it is a good time to defrost and clean it. We haul everything out, chip away any ice, and wipe it all down with hot soapy water. Then we begin re-filling with a layer of soda bottles filled with water.

We have found that ice in glass jars will too often shatter the glass.

Having a layer [or three] of ice filled soda bottles in the bottom both fills the air-space which makes in freezer more efficient; and it also helps when the power goes out to hold the freezer at temp for longer periods of time [hopefully until the power comes back on].

Living in N.E. we decided a couple years ago to move our chest freezer outside. We have it on the North side of our house where sun never shines. Alongside of it we also have a row of steel drums. In the winter a snow bank forms around both freezer and drums, and the freezer rarely turns on.
We find that early in the winter we commonly have a huge over-abundance of meat, so we fill those drums with food and bury them in snow. As the winter continues we eat the frozen goods in the drums first. By spring when the snow bank recedes, hopefully, everything will once again fit into the freezer.
Thanks FBK for the tips.

So you never freeze anything in glass containers (I don't mean with ice in them)?

Old 09-29-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks FBK for the tips.

So you never freeze anything in glass containers (I don't mean with ice in them)?
Mason jars of things that refused to seal properly when canning, do get frozen.

But later when unfreezing, we put them into the frig for a day first, so they slowly thaw.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Mason jars of things that refused to seal properly when canning, do get frozen.

But later when unfreezing, we put them into the frig for a day first, so they slowly thaw.

Can the glass jars be touching each other in the freezer, or put something between them?

Old 09-29-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Can the glass jars be touching each other in the freezer, or put something between them?
DW says: it makes no difference, but only use 'freezer-safe' canning jars.

We have some old canning jars that use a rubber gasket and wire snap to hold them shut. They shatter when frozen.

But newer canning jars with lids and screw-on rings work fine.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
DW says: it makes no difference, but only use 'freezer-safe' canning jars.

We have some old canning jars that use a rubber gasket and wire snap to hold them shut. They shatter when frozen.

But newer canning jars with lids and screw-on rings work fine.
Do the newer Ball canning jars qualify as freezer safe?

I'll get over to the old hardware store to see what they have.

Does DW freeze cooked squash and pumpkin? Just curious as I have fields around me and the farmers say take what you want.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:14 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,330 times
Quote:

Does DW freeze cooked squash and pumpkin? Just curious as I have fields around me and the farmers say take what you want.
Probably are. Just be sure to leave an inch or 2 for expansion. Squash (pumpkin is a squash) freezes very well. After thawing there will be water. Just mix back in or pour off.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:

Yes all new Ball jars seem to be freezer safe.

We do freeze squash [pumpkin, spaghetti, butternut, etc], I think she freezes mostly un-cooked squash. But it can be frozen cooked too.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:59 AM

291 posts, read 452,237 times
Default The idea is good but ...

Has anybody in the 2K+ replies you've received pointed out that the word "literal" means "actual"? You are using the word "shoestring" in a metaphorical sense so an appropriate adjective would be something like "virtual". This mistake is so common that it leads to unintentionally hilarious statements like, "I was so embarrassed that I literally died."

Old 09-30-2010, 10:04 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,017,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelflessGene View Post
Has anybody in the 2K+ replies you've received pointed out that the word "literal" means "actual"? You are using the word "shoestring" in a metaphorical sense so an appropriate adjective would be something like "virtual". This mistake is so common that it leads to unintentionally hilarious statements like, "I was so embarrassed that I literally died."
Oh, OK, so "I virtually died" makes much more sense. Leave it alone. The grammer police hang out on the Writing forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement