Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2012, 05:50 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
If you need to start a new thread just for the joy of starting a new thread, I suppose you could do something like "Your favorite ten suggestions from the Living On A Shoestring Thread". But that would be in addition to this thread; as already noted, I see no reason to close this useful thread just to start a new one.
I think that's a great suggestion. The Living On A Shoestring thread is so large that the really good stuff has gotten buried in the conversation. Don't get me wrong: I have enjoyed reading the conversation, but few people (unless they have a lot of time on their hands) are going to want to go through hundreds of pages to find the most usable nuggets of information. The thread needs an index.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 07:19 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,964,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I think that's a great suggestion. The Living On A Shoestring thread is so large that the really good stuff has gotten buried in the conversation. Don't get me wrong: I have enjoyed reading the conversation, but few people (unless they have a lot of time on their hands) are going to want to go through hundreds of pages to find the most usable nuggets of information. The thread needs an index.
I think this thread is more like a conversation and support group, not so much a tome to be indexed. It just seems that when a thread gets so long, it might be retired and a new one (Retiring on a Shoestring - let's drop the word "Literal" since that got so many flummoxed) started. Maybe "Round 2" or "2013."

Anyway, I was just responding to the suggestion of ExNewYawk. It's fine with me if the thread just continues on. (P.S. most seniors are not able to stay on topic, so don't hope for that )

Also, "shoestring" is one thing for one person, another for another. We did try to define it once, but never nailed it down. My feeling is that if you think you are on real shoestring in retirement, that's good enough to be in the club.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:03 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,195,717 times
I'm with those who think the thread should be kept as is. There is a lot of great resource material in it. If people want it, they will find time to read through looking for it.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:37 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,595,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I think this thread is more like a conversation and support group, not so much a tome to be indexed. It just seems that when a thread gets so long, it might be retired and a new one (Retiring on a Shoestring - let's drop the word "Literal" since that got so many flummoxed) started. Maybe "Round 2" or "2013."
Why not have a thread called "Retiring on a figurative shoestring?" That would be the most compatible with the English language.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:50 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,075,798 times
I agree that this thread is really more of a chat thread than an information thread. As the thread title points out, it was meant to be a "support group." I can also see a point to creating a complementary thread that would be for tips only (no chat allowed) for those of us who use city data because we're looking for information. It's a good point that it's hard to wade through all the chat to find the information--a separate "just tips" thread might help.

If someone feels like going through the thread and copying the actual tips, then using that list to create a tips only thread, it would be a useful addition to this forum, IMO. Tedious to put together, of course, but it would be a nice thing to have. We would have to put a "no chat, tips only" restriction on it, though.

So, to answer the question about starting a new thread, if we made this thread primarily a chat/support group thread and created a second "tips only" thread I could see closing this one and starting a new one, just like all the chat threads get closed periodically.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Why not have a thread called "Retiring on a figurative shoestring?" That would be the most compatible with the English language.
Nope. It's my thread and it's LITERAL. We had this argument here years back. The term is colloquial English, not academic. For the record, I'm an academically trained editor of the English language.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I agree that this thread is really more of a chat thread than an information thread. As the thread title points out, it was meant to be a "support group." I can also see a point to creating a complementary thread that would be for tips only (no chat allowed) for those of us who use city data because we're looking for information. It's a good point that it's hard to wade through all the chat to find the information--a separate "just tips" thread might help.

If someone feels like going through the thread and copying the actual tips, then using that list to create a tips only thread, it would be a useful addition to this forum, IMO. Tedious to put together, of course, but it would be a nice thing to have. We would have to put a "no chat, tips only" restriction on it, though.

So, to answer the question about starting a new thread, if we made this thread primarily a chat/support group thread and created a second "tips only" thread I could see closing this one and starting a new one, just like all the chat threads get closed periodically.
"Tips" (saving money on food, gas, entertainment, etc etc) can be found in the Frugal Living forum, for any age group. Breaking off threads into subthreads, imo, creates less easy accessibility. It's already getting to be more than my poor aging mind can handle to remember where they put Medicare (in the fridge with the checkbook?)

Old 10-28-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
"Tips" (saving money on food, gas, entertainment, etc etc) can be found in the Frugal Living forum, for any age group. Breaking off threads into subthreads, imo, creates less easy accessibility. It's already getting to be more than my poor aging mind can handle to remember where they put Medicare (in the fridge with the checkbook?)
Actually, I think the opposite is true. It would make the information much more accessible. It wouldn't be breaking off threads into sub threads, it would be copying the tips and creating a second thread. The original thread wouldn't be touched, so it would be just as accessible as it ever was. Those who just want the tips would have easier accessibility to them in the second thread.

The big problem I see would be putting a thread like that together would be really tedious work--this thread has almost 400 pages. It could take days to sort through it to copy the tips. So even though it would be a nice thing to have, I kind of doubt we'd see it happen.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Yeah, it would be really nice if there was a Way to Glean and Publish ''summary /
best-thoughts'' on each thread index. (Maybe there is an automated way to capture posts helpful via 'reps'). Actually C-D could add a 'good-idea, I would like to remember that' rep, and auto archive into a 'linked header' for Best Ideas!

Old 10-29-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Yeah, it would be really nice if there was a Way to Glean and Publish ''summary /
best-thoughts'' on each thread index. (Maybe there is an automated way to capture posts helpful via 'reps'). Actually C-D could add a 'good-idea, I would like to remember that' rep, and auto archive into a 'linked header' for Best Ideas!
The admin was recently asking for new features people would like added. Why don't you suggest this and see what they think?

//www.city-data.com/forum/about...re-thread.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement