Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2012, 10:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Break open that piggy bank and get yourself a new TV - you'll be glad you did. They are getting really cheap plus now many are on sale. You'll save $$ on that elecric bill.
Yes, the electrical useage on newer (LCD-TV) is considerably less, (Plasma is not much less, but there are few Plasma on the market) and new TV's are EASIER to MOVE (to Cleveland, OH) and the picture is SHARP in case your eyes are failing like Mine. (hope not)

Refrig and hot water heater is usually the big hog. But it all adds up (even lighting). When the kids left home the elect bill went down 25%. When S-I-L from Hawaii visits in winter the rate increases by 30%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 10:43 PM

BTW: on the shoestring subject.... I really enjoy this FREE alternative to TV / entertainment.

History Pub... (and related events at local pub) Portland, OR
McMenamins

Fascinating presentations, and you can hang around and talk to the presenters and participants.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:34 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Yes, the electrical useage on newer (LCD-TV) is considerably less, (Plasma is not much less, but there are few Plasma on the market) and new TV's are EASIER to MOVE (to Cleveland, OH) and the picture is SHARP in case your eyes are failing like Mine. (hope not)

Refrig and hot water heater is usually the big hog. But it all adds up (even lighting). When the kids left home the elect bill went down 25%. When S-I-L from Hawaii visits in winter the rate increases by 30%.
H'mmm. TV is a 32 incher and won't be all that heavy to move to Cleveland.

As far as "breaking open the piggy bank," I just found out I am going to have to do that but for different reasons. For the first time in thirty years I have a small cavity which is threatening to fracture a tooth next to a crown. I have to break open the bank to get it fixed to the tune of $1300.

The picture on my TV is as sharp as any LCD or plasma TV I have seen so that is not a problem although my eyesight too isn't what it used to be.

I rent so I can't change the frig or water heater but as I mentioned, I have the budget plan for electricity and my bill is not that high. I keep the heat on in only two rooms in my small three room
apartment and my electric bill is not all that high. I doubt my TV contributes all that much to it.

I don't think I need a new TV. But I would love a new computer. Some day that's gonna happen.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
...I have a small cavity which is threatening to fracture a tooth next to a crown. I have to break open the bank to get it fixed to the tune of $1300.

...I don't think I need a new TV. But I would love a new computer. Some day that's gonna happen.
Time top consider a winter medi-vacation to Thailand, Get all tuned up at once, as the Europeans have been doing for decades. Last trip airfare was $700 RT with stopover in HongKong. Medical / dental cost ranges from 30% less to 90% less than USA.

Yep, save for that new computer, there should be some great options for full multi media. TV as we know it today is probably destined to the way of the rotary phone / landline / post office.

You have brought me back to 'reality' Who in their right mind would buy a TV

I don't need a high quality picture to watch Lawrence Welk reruns.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:20 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
As far as "breaking open the piggy bank," I just found out I am going to have to do that but for different reasons. For the first time in thirty years I have a small cavity which is threatening to fracture a tooth next to a crown. I have to break open the bank to get it fixed to the tune of $1300. .
$1300 for a cavity??? Go to a clinic or dental school.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:56 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
It sounds like a crown must be needed. All my old amalgams are causing my teeth to fracture, which means a crown.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
More than a cavity. As I mentioned, the position it's in will cause a fracture and I could lose the tooth and the one next to it would be compromised. I am not at all cavity prone. I have a few crowns but that's about it. The dental school has a waiting list so long by the time they got to me I won't need teeth. And seriously there is the danger that the bad one I have will break away and take its friends with it.

I have been going to this dentist for nearly twenty years so I trust her.

I would love to travel to Thailand or someplace exotic for my teeth but this isn't a good time right now. So I am pretty much stuck with my choice of treatment. I have thought it all out and although I am going to wince at the depletion of my emergency fund, that's what emergency funds are for: emergencies.

Regarding the TV. I have a 32 inch set I am completely happy with. I just don't need anything bigger or better. I am not knocking bigger or better, it's just not a priority for me.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:01 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Would you? Have you ever?

Old 01-02-2013, 06:08 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Would you? Have you ever?
Yes. When I lived in Boston as an undergrad I went to the MIT (Mass. Institute of Technology) dental school and had first class dental work that has held up over many years. The advanced students in the clinic pay very close supervised attention, as opposed to a few of the aging and incompetent dentists that I had in subsequent years who put together shabby mercury fillings. Bridgework I had done in a St Louis dental school in 1986 is so fine that my current dentist marveled at its construction when it fell off due to eating popcorn and she admiringly glued it back on, saying it will last me the rest of my life.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:22 PM

LOL. We have gone from TV's to cavities. I would go to the one dental school in Portland if there were time but there really isn't. I have heard mixed reports about them too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement