Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2012, 07:27 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,943,061 times

Advertisements

Capt. Dan. While I understand you desire not to "work yourself to death", studies have actually shown that people will tend to live longer if they extend their working years. That's why never got much into this thread. I've known people that were fine, worked hard all their life, retired and shortly there after died suddenly. Both my dad and father in law worked many years past their normal retirement age, and in my father in law's case, he lived till 96. My point is that there is a middle ground between complete retirement and full time work. That's why I've never gotten into this thread much. I'm going to retire and then try to find something part time that enjoy as an outlet, and still leave time for r and r. Plus, I don't want to spend my retirement years just pinching pennies and worrying about money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 07:29 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,141,567 times
Volunteering can be an alternative.....it doesn't pay financially but it is a good way to keep busy, make new friends and be helpful.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:17 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,507,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Capt. Dan. While I understand you desire not to "work yourself to death", studies have actually shown that people will tend to live longer if they extend their working years. That's why never got much into this thread. I've known people that were fine, worked hard all their life, retired and shortly there after died suddenly. Both my dad and father in law worked many years past their normal retirement age, and in my father in law's case, he lived till 96. My point is that there is a middle ground between complete retirement and full time work. That's why I've never gotten into this thread much. I'm going to retire and then try to find something part time that enjoy as an outlet, and still leave time for r and r. Plus, I don't want to spend my retirement years just pinching pennies and worrying about money.
Hi Prairie. I will always stay busy doing something. I just dont want any more cold winters or getting up at 330 am to drive 100 miles to and from work anymore.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:35 PM

19,254 posts, read 16,769,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
1 month until retirement!!!!!!!!!!January 24th! I'm broke but I refuse to work myself to death like my dad did. There HAS to be some cheap campimg somewhere!!!!!!!!
Congratulations on your upcoming retirement Enjoy the next chapter of your life. My dad retired at the age of 62 and died at the age of 93. Hard to imagine being retired for 31 years but he did it. Rather comical thing about dear old Dad. He had been retired for so long, he'd forgotten what it was like for us who were still working. Stay active and don't vegetate in a chair and you'll do okay

Old 12-25-2012, 03:50 PM

165 posts, read 307,573 times
That would be a figurative shoestring.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:06 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,943,061 times
Capt. Dan:

Hi Prairie. I will always stay busy doing something. I just dont want any more cold winters or getting up at 330 am to drive 100 miles to and from work anymore.

Amen to that. I hope that you haven't ruined your health with that demanding job. I've known people also who did work themselves so hard that they ruined their health. Congrats on the retirement. HOpe you enjoy every minute of it. Might suggest you start by finding some warm weather.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:35 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,055,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Beaver View Post
That would be a figurative shoestring.
NEg, the original thread starter, used the term "literal" purposely. The why and how have been addressed several times in this thread.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 12-25-2012 at 05:48 PM..

Old 12-25-2012, 05:09 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,517,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post

I think it depends on the kind of work you do and whether you enjoy or hate it. If you hate digging ditches (or even flipping burgers), I think retiring from that job would be a welcome relief.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:02 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,209,976 times
My father retired at 55 and died just short of 96. He took up jogging, tennis, biking and hiking and did them daily until he lost his vision sometime in his 80's. Keeping active, or even newly becoming active, seems to help, and reduces medical costs too (to keep more or less on the topic here)

Old 12-26-2012, 09:52 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,507,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I think it depends on the kind of work you do and whether you enjoy or hate it. If you hate digging ditches (or even flipping burgers), I think retiring from that job would be a welcome relief.
I was an OR nurse for almost 25 years and have been running radiation detection systems for the last 12. Although I'm not physically worn out, I am mentally drained. What I have planned is to go spend a month spoiling some of my greatgrandchildren in western Arkansas for a month and then ride the winter out around Yuma Arizona until early April. Then, since I'm not a rich man, I'll come home to west Tennessee and probably get me a part time job. Like "welcome to WalMart. Now get your sh*t and get out!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement