Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 02:40 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,060,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
On the dental thing, I believe I've mentioned it previously but if you need alot of work all at once, look into Hungarian Dental Tours. Apparently, the country of Hungary does good work at a very good price and there are travel agencies that specialize in tours combining your dental work with actual touring.
Very true, and they do a beautiful job too, but it's only cost effective for European residents. Add at least $1200 airfare from the States to the cost of the tour might not end up with much of a saving, but if money is not the issue, I would visit Hungary again, with or without the dental work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 02:45 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,019,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
Very true, and they do a beautiful job too, but it's only cost effective for European residents. Add at least $1200 airfare from the States to the cost of the tour might not end up with much of a saving, but if money is not the issue, I would visit Hungary again, with or without the dental work.
I have a pair of shoes and a designer type raincoat made in Hungary, have used them for 10 years with virtually no visible wear and expect them to last the rest of my life. If that is any indication of their craftsmanship, I'd trust the dental. I wonder about Poland, too.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:33 PM

23,342 posts, read 29,223,237 times
That would defeat the purpose, it would seem, to go all the way to Hungary for dental work, and spend all that money for air fare/lodgings.

I either go to Algodones (Yuma), Tijuana, Nogales, in Mexico, or Central America, it's closer. The last time I was in Algodones, a few months ago, I met up with a whole array of Canadians down there for dental work. One guy, in the dental clinic I went to, had come down from Calgary where he got an estimate of $35k for dental work, and he was busy getting bids in the $5k range.

It's actually easier to go to Tijuana, one hour flight to San Diego, an hour south on the light rail line, and it's possible, if you get in early in the morning, for me to return to Las Vegas the same evening, whereas Algodones is a grueling 5-6 hour drive one way.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:08 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,994,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
On the dental thing, I believe I've mentioned it previously but if you need alot of work all at once, look into Hungarian Dental Tours. Apparently, the country of Hungary does good work at a very good price and there are travel agencies that specialize in tours combining your dental work with actual touring.
I had dental work done in New Delhi, India of all places.

At the beginning of a three month trip around India I got a toothache. A lady visiting from Canada that was staying in my hotel recommended her dentist there in New Delhi. The dentist's office was in an ultra-modern "atrium" type office building with glass elevators. The lady dentist was terrific ... all of her diplomas and experience was in the UK ... and her office was ultra-modern and state of the art (for example the x-rays were all done digitally - back when my dentist in the US was still using the old x-ray machines). For the x-rays, filling, etc., I think the bill was about $35 (this was in 2006) ... or about 1/10 of what it would cost me in the US!

Another thing I liked about India and Nepal was getting professional massages for 1 1/2 hours for $8 - $10 (however, in India, massages for women are only given by women - and if you're a man it is given by a male ... otherwise it is considered shocking and illegitimate.) In India, with it's centuries old traditions of Ayurvedic medicine, massage therapy is taken very seriously.

Last edited by Clark Park; 01-08-2013 at 05:20 PM..

Old 01-08-2013, 06:13 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,944,407 times
[quote=tijlover;27681532]Buying a cheap mobile home has never been on the table for me, as you have no control over the lot rent, as I'm planning on retiring for a tad less than $1k!

There was an article in the paper, recently, about a man who bought a nice mobile home in a senior park, invested an additional $30k into his property, and some new greedy park owners took over, jacked up the rent to $750 a month and he's trapped! It went on to say a number of residents in that community bailed out, left their mobile homes behind for free to the owners, who plan to rent them out!

Senior mobile home rental parks, no way Ho-zay, unless I own the land underneath it!

I get very suspicious when I see mobiles for sale in the teens, and I've seen them as low as $5k. But, but, but!!! The lot rent is never mentioned![/quote]

That is frustrating for me too. I just decided that IF I do buy a place it will be on it's own lot and NOT in a 'park'. We have a lot of those around here and none of them list their lot rent. I used to live in a small senior park where only two people actually owned their mobiles. I do know they paid $225 mo. and it's now $250, three and a half years later. I almost bought one of the mobiles when my friend, who lived there, passed away. I lived next door for four years so knew the place well and it was nice. They only wanted $13,500 for it.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:33 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,019,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I had dental work done in New Delhi, India of all places.

At the beginning of a three month trip around India I got a toothache. A lady visiting from Canada that was staying in my hotel recommended her dentist there in New Delhi. The dentist's office was in an ultra-modern "atrium" type office building with glass elevators. The lady dentist was terrific ... all of her diplomas and experience was in the UK ... and her office was ultra-modern and state of the art (for example the x-rays were all done digitally - back when my dentist in the US was still using the old x-ray machines). For the x-rays, filling, etc., I think the bill was about $35 (this was in 2006) ... or about 1/10 of what it would cost me in the US!

Another thing I liked about India and Nepal was getting professional massages for 1 1/2 hours for $8 - $10 (however, in India, massages for women are only given by women - and if you're a man it is given by a male ... otherwise it is considered shocking and illegitimate.) In India, with it's centuries old traditions of Ayurvedic medicine, massage therapy is taken very seriously.
After watching "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2011) - IMDb set in India, I would consider moving there. Maybe I could wind up living at the hotel with Judi Dench, Bill Nighy, and Maggie Smith. Maybe a bunch of us should check it out.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:14 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,534,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The only damage I ever got dentally was from a dentist in practice for at least a quarter century. And he has a very good reputation around here. I almost decided to sue him, and should have. I would not assume that dental schools and clinics are substandard. The one I went to (MIT) as an undergrad had their graduating dentists working on patients under the close supervision of professionals. I'm not saying I endorse this,but I also wouldn't make assumptions across the board. (Same with doctors - the Kaiser M.D. that failed to diagnose a deadly blood clot and sent me home was an idiot. The PA-physician's assistant is the one that caught it on my return visit and most likely saved my life. Whereas the "doctor" spent all of 5 min. with me, the PA gave me almost an hour and had the tests ordered. Diligence doesn't necessarily belong only to so called professionals)
I am so with you on that. You can get great treatment from a school and horrible treatment from an experienced practioner. It's a matter of luck I think. I had a not so great experience with a dentist a long time ago. He was just too keen on pulling an impacted wisdom tooth that I didn't believe needed pulling.

He told me that if it was touching another tooth it would become infected. When I asked why this hadn't happened in 30 something years he told me I was "lucky."

I asked to see my x-rays. The tooth wasn't anywhere near any other tooth. I pointed that out to him. He said it should still be dug out.

I got a second opinion form my friend's dentist who told me as long as it didn't bother me I needn't bother it.

That was almost 20 years ago. I began going to the second dentist. I still have the impacted tooth. We have an agreement. Neither of us bothers the other and we have gotten along fine all these years. The other teeth ignore it.

I have had horror stories with doctors I don't want to think about. So when I find someone I trust, I hang on for dear life.

As far as going to another country for treatment. I would be open to it but not at this time. It wouldn't work for me right now.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:44 PM

2,842 posts, read 3,219,810 times
Quote:
After watching "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2011) - IMDb set in India, I would consider moving there. Maybe I could wind up living at the hotel with Judi Dench, Bill Nighy, and Maggie Smith. Maybe a bunch of us should check it out.
I was thinking that too until the recent rape/murder incident in India.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:02 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,163,220 times
Quote:
That was a fun movie, but remember--it's just a movie. I suspect your real life experience would be quite different. Especially the scene where Judi Dench needs to find a job in India, and of all the amazing luck she easily falls into an idyllic job teaching telemarketers how to deal with the English. Not gonna happen in real life.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:27 AM

112 posts, read 274,856 times
Default Retiring on a literal shoestring: support group

Although I do need to find all new doctors/dentist (I moved) may I venture this conversation in another direction??

How are you cutting expenses, and still eating good, when it comes to food? Is anybody out there doing vegetable or fruit gardening? Warehouse or co-op shopping can be good when you split the bounty and cost with a friend. Is anybody doing that extreme couponing? If yes, got any tips?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement