Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2012, 02:30 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,117,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Your post made me laugh out loud. There is a certain thrill in becoming a cheapskate. It's the hunt! and... I've developed a certain smugness thinking about shopping sales at the grocery stores. I check the commodities markets and plan ahead. It's a game. I totally understand where you are coming from. Some people might say we are "penny wise and pound foolish" but who cares?
That's how I've always seen it. I'm not frugal about everything, but like you I do enjoy "the hunt" and have always gotten a thrill out of saving money and finding a good bargain. The other day I found White Mountain Jigsaw puzzles at Costco for $9.95 (the same puzzles are usually $15). Made my whole day--the only bummer was I really didn't need more puzzles right now since I just got a few from a library book sale. But I did enjoy seeing a good deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 03:59 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,967,268 times
Saving money has to be lifestyle change and total strategy for me. I used to love taking long drives ... but with the price of gas these days, I just don't do it any more. I have given up watching TV, and the only service I subscribe to is my wireless internet. If I want to watch TV, I watch it on Hulu on the internet. Or I watch TV when I'm at the gym on the treadmill.

Oh, I do have my indulgences ... I have a wine and spirits cabinet with several bottles of good wine (not expensive) and several bottles of first rate liqueurs and spirits. I love excellent imported cheeses, but I almost never pay more than $13 or $14 per lb. on a cheese ... the gourmet cheese stores have cheeses for double and triple that. Once every other month I get a professional massage and a pedicure.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:26 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,994,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I love excellent imported cheeses, but I almost never pay more than $13 or $14 per lb. on a cheese ... the gourmet cheese stores have cheeses for double and triple that.
At those prices maybe you ought to consider boarding a cow.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:51 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,486,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Saving money has to be lifestyle change and total strategy for me. I used to love taking long drives ... but with the price of gas these days, I just don't do it any more. I have given up watching TV, and the only service I subscribe to is my wireless internet. If I want to watch TV, I watch it on Hulu on the internet. Or I watch TV when I'm at the gym on the treadmill.

Oh, I do have my indulgences ... I have a wine and spirits cabinet with several bottles of good wine (not expensive) and several bottles of first rate liqueurs and spirits. I love excellent imported cheeses, but I almost never pay more than $13 or $14 per lb. on a cheese ... the gourmet cheese stores have cheeses for double and triple that. Once every other month I get a professional massage and a pedicure.
Can you get TV with an indoor or outdoor antenna? I have a 2004 analog TV. I gave up my cable servide and bought a analog to digital converter box with an indoor antenna. I live in an apartment building so an outdoor antenna was not possible. After some manipulation, I discovered like in the olden days with the rabbit ear antennas, which are still available by the way, you can manipulate the antenna to get reception.

You have to do it depending upon the weather and location of your TV set but you can pull in TV stations depending upon where you live.

The other day I accidentally moved the antenna wire too close to the converter box and I kept getting all kinds of interferrence. I finally figured out that was the problem and separated the two rascals. Problen solved. Boy, does that take me back to the fifties when my dad had us kids moving the old rabbit ears around the room for the best reception.

Everything old is new again. But all the TV I watch is free again too.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,764 posts, read 58,200,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Can you get TV with an indoor or outdoor antenna? ...Everything old is new again. But all the TV I watch is free again too.
The INDOOR digital tv antennas (free or very cheap) will work just fine in PDX area (for about 20 free channels).

I've never had cable, never will, unless it happens to come by my rural house and the internet speeds exceed my VERY slow and expensive dial-up. One of the many benefits of living under the scrutiny of 'Friends(?)-of -the-Gorge'....

Old 12-30-2012, 05:32 PM

Of course the only problem is some of those 20 channels are in Spanish and some are religous channels. But that's the way it goes.

Cable kept getting more and more expensive for a whole lot of nothing for me. I used to enjoy it. Now about the only channel I miss is Animal Planet. I still have Comnasty for phone and Internt but am looking into dumping those too. A bonus which I mentioned before is that my good old analog TV without the stupid cable box now has a much more beautiful picture. With the cable box it always looked like it had the measles. With the digital box and the indoor antenna, it's crystal clear.

And did I mention at the low, low cost of free? Not counting the cost of electricty of course for which I am on the budget plan with the electric company.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:51 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,117,897 times
I'm definitely a big fan of the low, low cost of free!

Old 12-30-2012, 06:14 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,032,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
At those prices maybe you ought to consider boarding a cow.
You keeping sucking up to Clark Park - you just want to rent that big room with the view from him - well, maybe you'll be sharing it with that cow

Old 12-30-2012, 06:19 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,032,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Of course the only problem is some of those 20 channels are in Spanish and some are religous channels. But that's the way it goes.

Cable kept getting more and more expensive for a whole lot of nothing for me. I used to enjoy it. Now about the only channel I miss is Animal Planet. I still have Comnasty for phone and Internt but am looking into dumping those too. A bonus which I mentioned before is that my good old analog TV without the stupid cable box now has a much more beautiful picture. With the cable box it always looked like it had the measles. With the digital box and the indoor antenna, it's crystal clear.

And did I mention at the low, low cost of free? Not counting the cost of electricty of course for which I am on the budget plan with the electric company.
Break open that piggy bank and get yourself a new TV - you'll be glad you did. They are getting really cheap plus now many are on sale. You'll save $$ on that elecric bill.

I had cable in this house for a short time and then canceled it. 1) I watched too much TV with it and 2) the new antennaes work great and pick up plenty of channels.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Break open that piggy bank and get yourself a new TV - you'll be glad you did. They are getting really cheap plus now many are on sale. You'll save $$ on that elecric bill.

I had cable in this house for a short time and then canceled it. 1) I watched too much TV with it and 2) the new antennaes work great and pick up plenty of channels.
Well, since I am on the budget plan with the electric company it probably won't make that much of a difference. Of course I could always call the electric company and ask if a new TV would make
a difference on the plan.

I am a product of my mom and dad who were a product of Depression thinking: "If it still works, don't throw it away."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement