Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 01:14 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,618,997 times

Advertisements

CLEARWATER — Before the court motions, before the eviction threats, before the limo rides to TV studios, Kimberly Broffman was 6 months old, just a baby, moving into a new home.

It was February 2004, and her mother had been beaten during a home invasion. To help with healing, mother and daughter moved in with Judie and Jimmy Stottler, the mom's parents.

55-and-over community wants to evict family with 6-year-old - St. Petersburg Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 01:43 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
She should make other living arrangements

Old 10-24-2009, 02:01 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
The comments section in the article are worth reading. It seems this had been going on for almost six years, the owners have had unreasonable expectations of a sale price for the house.
If I moved (paid for) a 55-up home with a clear understanding of limits on children, i would be furious if every sad situation got a pass. After all, there are a lot of sad situations, especially of the type in this situation (drug parent, absent parent).
No, the child shouldn't go into foster care. The grandparents and child should move. It's possible that rentals aren't allowed (only owner-occupied) and the history of the price asked for the house is fairly instructive. The grandparents should suck it up, sell however they have to, find a rental trailer or apartment.
Everyone has a sad story somewhere.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:53 AM

367 posts, read 1,024,195 times
It sounds as though the grandparents are trying to sell their home. hardly any banks are lending so nobody is really buying...
i can argue both sides of the argument but i have to ask...where is the humanity in our society when it is more important to uphold a bylaw than to look at the best interest of a child? it is obvious that the grandparents can't move without selling. if the hoa really wants them out, they could, perhaps buy the home and resell it at their leisure? just a suggestion

Old 10-24-2009, 04:13 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
He need to move into governamt housing ;as the terms were clear in the community I would bet.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:00 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,203,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
He need to move into governamt housing ;as the terms were clear in the community I would bet.
Yep, sounds like. The World and his wife are out there all wanting a pass for one reason or another.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:52 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
This sounded very familiar to me. I Googled it and from reading various articles found that the child moved in with the grandparents in 2004. Prior to that they took in their daughter, the mother of the child along with the grandchild. The daughter was a druggie and was causing trouble so they kicked her out and kept the grandchild. That was five years ago. They knew the rules then but the HOA allowed her to stay for two years before asking them to leave.

The grandparents immediately went crying to the press, AARP Magazine and any other place they would receive publicity and sympathy. It looks like they got their way but now the HOA is fighting back. I think they had ample time to find another place to live when they could have gotten a good price for their home. Too bad the Media falls for these sucker stories and plays them up to the hilt.

This is a matter for a court to decide, not the press or the Internet. The fact that these people go public every time they are threatened with eviction really leaves me wondering just what really is going on. I would love to hear from their neighbors who live in that neighborhood.

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/04/01/No...sued_for.shtml

Last edited by Minervah; 10-24-2009 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: Adding Link

Old 10-24-2009, 11:50 AM

3,074 posts, read 8,028,299 times
It is either you do live in adult community without younger family or move to a regular community with younger family. You can't have it both ways.

Such people lack any sense of propriety. They will always be among us.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
So rules in 55+ communities don't really apply to all ?
IMO..they bought and signed papers regarding the age restrictions.

Suck it up and move on. Take your loss and find another place with no age restrictions.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:36 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,057,092 times
People moving into age restricted housing need to give strong thought to the many what if questions. If they still decide to do it then what happens is on them. In this case I believe the residents inherited the house and who knows what there mind set was other than a free house. If they didn't make the conscious decision to buy in restricted housing it should not surprise they don't have the buy in to the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement