Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 09:34 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
What are the top ten things you love about being a baby boomer??

These, in no particular order, are mine:

--I inhaled
--I danced to disco
--I danced to folk music
--I danced to the Grateful Dead
--I owned a VW Camper
--I wore my hair down to my waist--and put flowers in it
--I moved to San Francisco--but always held a job
--I know how to make a nutloaf and eat a macrobiotic diet
--I remember JFK, Martin Luther King, Bobby Kennedy, Jimmi Hendrix, John Lennon and Jim Morrison..and let's not forget Janis Joplin and John Belushi and Glida Radner
--I remember when everyone shared and we had so much hope for the future
Nothing at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i remember tv's with only 12 channels
and getting whacked was a good thing.......
Where in hell did you get 12 channels? We only got 3.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Free love
Great music
Good drugs
You could hitchhike all over the country and not end up in a ditch, dead.
If you needed a place to crash someone would find one. No need to live under a bridge.
Life really was simpler, and that was good.
No video games! As much as I enjoy them I consider their lack to have been a good thing.

The not so good:

Losing friends because they never returned from Vietnam.
Some who did were scarred physically and/or mentally
We lost an innocent at Kent State for no reason
We lost a president for no reason
Everyone waited for the Bomb to drop - thank God it hasn't - yet.
What "innocent" did we lose at Kent State? You mean the violent vicious rioters that had to be put down?

Old 06-05-2010, 09:51 PM

What I most remember was all the strife and drama. Not only in my life but in the country with the killings of JFK, MLK, RFK, race riots, racism, war riots, drugs and all kinds of stuff going on. As a teenager I did lots of drugs (LSD, Marijuana) and drank a lot but still managed to finish school and work at a job. My grades were not fantastic- mostly Bs and Cs but I did score very well on my SAT test but found that college, right then, just was not for me. I just was not ready so I joined the USAF and went to college after the military when I had the self discipline to make it work for me. And unlike high school, I worked hard in college. No partying and drugs except for an occasional bong hit. Didn't have time for them. At Northwestern you had to work your ass off.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:59 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I would say the most distinguishing thing about the baby bommers is they recreated themselves. From the free spirit generation to a generation that created great welath. Hit by the 70's recession they created a nation of small business like no other before it. Even now they still doninate the wealth of the nation.In a generation of huge numbers they created a nation that had so much for so many and promised oportunity.They completed much of the technological aims of theri parents after starting out much the same as the lost genration of the 1920's.They brought the american dream to the masses like never before in any generation.Hopely this new genration can do the same but we will see.It is surprising that the present genration really knows liitle but what they see in movies of the 60 and 70's IMO.Even more so how they think the 50's were easy times.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:22 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
What "innocent" did we lose at Kent State? You mean the violent vicious rioters that had to be put down?
You mean like the two students (out of the four killed) that were just walking from one class to the next? Or some of the other wounded students who also were just walking to class?

Or the other two who were part of the protest, but were almost a football field away from the guardsmen?

But you're right, firing 67 rounds into a group of college students who are throwing rocks at you is a reasonable response and definitely justifiable.

After all, they needed to be put down.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:49 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,422,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Just like some Boomers might get annoyed by everyone going on and on about the Greatest Generation, us Xers sometimes get annoyed by the Boomers going on about how great the party was. Personally, I identify much more with my grandparents then my parents. My life has been about hard work and sacrifice. I wasn't given anything, but I have been expected to give back .. plenty. I don't agree with the Iraq war either, by the way, but I do have more of a stereotypically "Greatest" response to it than Boomer one: I feel like .. well, my country right or wrong. If my country is going to be in a fight, I'm going to stand with it.
Thank you for your gracious responses to those who commented on your OP.

I was born in 1950, the oldest of 6 children. We were not indulged in ANY sense of the word...those of us who wanted to go to college had to pay for it ourselves. My husband grew up the same way. As the only child of a single mother, he had to figure out a way to pay for what he wanted, aside from the essentials.

The '60's were an amazing time...so many "firsts", both good and bad. I guess you had to be there to appreciate "the party".

I can understand how most people in our nation banded together and supported WWII. I also saw what effect it had on the lives of just about every American...my parents lived through it, so I have second-hand knowledge. But I can't compare the situation in Iraq/Afghanistan to WWII. To me, it is this generation's Viet Nam...for which I am TRULY sad.

I don't think any one generation is better than another...we are just different. However, I hope we can learn from each other. We all have something worthwhile to share.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:05 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
We all have something worthwhile to share.
Thank you for the kind words. I must point out though, it's very "Boomer" of you to say so .

I totally agree. For everything turn, turn, right? I hope you're set to enjoy your golden years. Lord help us when the average pot smoker is in his or her 70s.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:33 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,422,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I hope you're set to enjoy your golden years.
Ack...I still have some time before my "golden years". Am not really planning on retirement until I hit 66, which is just under 7 years from now. Forgot to mention in my prior post that I'm one of those people who has been socking money away in IRAs each year, and contributing to my pension at work...there is NO WAY I would expect my children to support me in retirement. I can't say that I know anyone who expects that of their children either. Sorry you've been left with that burden.

In parting, I hope you're enjoying life as a 30-something. I can't tell you how quickly it speeds by while you're working and/or raising children...and just living life. Before you know it, you might find yourself defending your own generation against some young "whippersnapper" on a message board...hee hee.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:05 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Quote:
What I most remember was all the strife and drama. Not only in my life but in the country with the killings of JFK, MLK, RFK, race riots, racism, war riots, drugs and all kinds of stuff going on. As a teenager I did lots of drugs (LSD, Marijuana) and drank a lot but still managed to finish school and work at a job. My grades were not fantastic- mostly Bs and Cs but I did score very well on my SAT test but found that college, right then, just was not for me. I just was not ready so I joined the USAF and went to college after the military when I had the self discipline to make it work for me. And unlike high school, I worked hard in college. No partying and drugs except for an occasional bong hit. Didn't have time for them. At Northwestern you had to work your ass off.
You sound like an extremely negative person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement