Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 09:50 AM

31 posts, read 95,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Personally I don't see the problem. We are the most important generation. The later generations had to settle for spoiled, clueless, and self-centered.

We win.
Nothing special there. Every generation views later ones as spoiled, clueless, and self-centered. To people born before the baby boom, that's exactly how boomers look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 10:20 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,381,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
Nothing special there. Every generation views later ones as spoiled, clueless, and self-centered. To people born before the baby boom, that's exactly how boomers look.
Nope. Prior generations knew we were the best. They just didn't like our music. Later generations are just jealous.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:22 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Saw the same thing in high school. Slide Rules rule.
aka: slip-sticks! Times certainly were much simpler back in the day. I, too, remember my first Casio "pocket" calculator and how hellishly expensive and cumbersome it was. Not all that many years later Casio made LED screen watches with as many and more functions. It also told time, had alarms, could be set for more than one time zone, gave you day, date and month and some also included games.

Having been born in 1946 I'm in the vanguard of the boomers and will be 64 in August. WOW! Have I lived through and been part of some history! I liked the "old" days better when people talked face-to-face, neighbors knew and looked out for neighbors and children amused themselves using their imagination while spending most of their time outdoors getting healthy exercise.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:36 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
Another 64 year old too. All I can say is from what I see of kids today, I am glad I was a kid when I was.

Wow, I am actually old enough to say that now.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Another 64 year old too. All I can say is from what I see of kids today, I am glad I was a kid when I was.

I'm just a baby of 58 but am very glad I was raised in the 50's and 60's! There's no other time I would have chosen to grow up. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be a 70's or 80's kid, and definitely not after that!

Old 05-29-2010, 11:49 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

Scarey, isn't it!

Old 05-29-2010, 12:11 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,330,582 times
I remember the absolute bliss of summer vacation. We'd meet up on the playground and have a wonderful day. I'm 62 now and those days of my childhood still make me smile. We'd climb trees, skate, play jacks, run in the rain, drink from the garden hose when we were thirsty, buy ice cream cones from the guy in the white uniform in a pink truck. We'd sneak into orchards and eat the apples and peaches without washing them. We caught the double-feature matinee on Saturday afternoons complete with the great old news reels, a cartoon, a serial, previews and then the two movies. We got into the base theater for 10 cents and that left a nickel for popcorn, nickel for a coke and a nickel for chocolate candy. Plus, back in those days the theaters gave everyone products like handcreme and little address books. All in all, Saturdays were great days.

Then polio hit our generation. We had to come home and stay inside during the heat of the day. We solved that with board games like Sorry, Parchesi and Monolopy.

We made tents using furniture, stacks of books, clothes line cords and army blankets. Then we'd sit in them sweating and drinking cold Koolaid, eating Tollhouse cookies with melted chocolate bits.

We were lucky and we enjoyed childhood. I had a Ginny Doll and a Pitiful Pearl Doll. My father made furniture for them and my mother made their clothes. Family life was close. We all ate together for every meal and actually talked to each other. Great fun. Wow, I loved and love my life.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:08 PM

7,129 posts, read 12,672,910 times
Yes, you're so right, it was great growing up when we did, in the 50's. Were those years the last of our innocence? When all seemed possible? Though I vaguely remember the Korean War news on TV and the McCarthy hearings (though I didn't understand the perspective and context).

The 60's were much more troublesome, to say the least. We had the Cuban Missile Crisis, school integration brought out some real ugliness in our citizens, the three assassinations of MLK and the two Kennedy's, the riots in our inner cities, Kent State, and the Viet Nam War with the draft, and where some of our best and brightest lost their lives. So it sure wasn't all innocence by then by any means.

Guess every age is a mixed bag--the good mixed with the not-so-good. Are these years of the 2000's the 50's to any young people, I wonder? Will they be looking back with nostalgia??

Old 05-29-2010, 01:14 PM

[quote=LittleDolphin;14391849]Yes, you're so right, it was great growing up when we did, in the 50's. Were those years the last of our innocence? When all seemed possible? Though I vaguely remember the Korean War news on TV and the McCarthy hearings (though I didn't understand the perspective and context).

The 60's were much more troublesome, to say the least. We had the Cuban Missile Crisis, school integration brought out some real ugliness in our citizens, the three assassinations of MLK and the two Kennedy's, the riots in our inner cities, Kent State, and the Viet Nam War with the draft, and where some of our best and brightest lost their lives. So it sure wasn't all innocence by then by any means.

Guess every age is a mixed bag--the good mixed with the not-so-good. Are these years of the 2000's the 50's to any young people, I wonder? Will they be looking back with nostalgia??[/quote]

Somehow I doubt it. There's no comparison. Kids have to be cool by the they are 8. They are already into fashion and gadgets and give up dolls and toys much sooner than we did. No innocence.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:21 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Scarey, isn't it!
Yes, and my 68 year old sister agrees too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement