Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 06:15 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,411,460 times

Advertisements

When I was trying to lose my extra 20 lbs., I knew I had to create a calorie deficit in order to lose weight. It sounds like a no-brainer, but I'm not so sure if people are as control-freakish as I am...

I used an on-line calculator to determine how many calories I was eating/burning at my current weight and activity level. So, say it was 2000 calories to maintain my current weight. I knew I had to burn an extra 500 calories a day to lose about 1 lb. per week (every 3500 calories = 1 lb.). So if I ate 1500 calories a day, I would logically HAVE to lose weight. So I religiously started estimating the calories in everything I ate, and amped up my exercise level (treadmill every night). My goal was to take in no more than 1500/day, and burn 2000/day. And guess what -- I steadily dropped weight!

To me, this method is absolutely the simplest and most effective. Burn more calories than you take in. My boyfriend at the time was extremely overweight -- I estimated he was eating about 3500 calories/day. I knew he wanted to lose, so I gently encouraged him to start reading labels and cut down/burn more calories, but I guess he wasn't quite as anal as I am, so he never did it. We're not together anymore but I do worry about the effect of his obesity on his heart at age 59.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 06:58 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,980,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
When I was trying to lose my extra 20 lbs., I knew I had to create a calorie deficit in order to lose weight. It sounds like a no-brainer, but I'm not so sure if people are as control-freakish as I am...

I used an on-line calculator to determine how many calories I was eating/burning at my current weight and activity level. So, say it was 2000 calories to maintain my current weight. I knew I had to burn an extra 500 calories a day to lose about 1 lb. per week (every 3500 calories = 1 lb.). So if I ate 1500 calories a day, I would logically HAVE to lose weight. So I religiously started estimating the calories in everything I ate, and amped up my exercise level (treadmill every night). My goal was to take in no more than 1500/day, and burn 2000/day. And guess what -- I steadily dropped weight!

To me, this method is absolutely the simplest and most effective. Burn more calories than you take in. My boyfriend at the time was extremely overweight -- I estimated he was eating about 3500 calories/day. I knew he wanted to lose, so I gently encouraged him to start reading labels and cut down/burn more calories, but I guess he wasn't quite as anal as I am, so he never did it. We're not together anymore but I do worry about the effect of his obesity on his heart at age 59.
How do you estimate the calories in everything you eat? Or for that matter, how do you get an accurate count--for ex, a white english muffin with bad oils in it has a certain # of calories, but a whole wheat english muffin with unsaturated oil in it has a different amount. When you see the lists, they usually only list 'english muffin - bajillion calories.' Same with so many other foods, unless you are talking about single unprocessed foods like veg's, fruits, fish, tofu, etc.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:42 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,442,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
How do you estimate the calories in everything you eat? Or for that matter, how do you get an accurate count--for ex, a white english muffin with bad oils in it has a certain # of calories, but a whole wheat english muffin with unsaturated oil in it has a different amount. When you see the lists, they usually only list 'english muffin - bajillion calories.' Same with so many other foods, unless you are talking about single unprocessed foods like veg's, fruits, fish, tofu, etc.

The USDA database has 14 different English Muffins

Search the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference

BTW, if you don't like going online everytime you want to check on nutritional values, the USDA lets you search programs for use on your PC and on a Palm PDA without connecting to the Internet - Free USDA Program

Old 03-27-2010, 04:55 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,980,804 times
Just saw a program on how much pets decrease elders' blood pressure and stress. Also oxytocin (sp?), a good hormone.

I have a friend whose cholesterol is twice what it should be. She doesn't want to take the meds. Any suggestions for natural remedies? She eats a decent diet.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:26 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,024,553 times
Quote:
Just saw a program on how much pets decrease elders' blood pressure and stress. Also oxytocin (sp?), a good hormone.

I have a friend whose cholesterol is twice what it should be. She doesn't want to take the meds. Any suggestions for natural remedies? She eats a decent diet.
Oatmeal - it really works (says so on the box). Actually, it really does. I ate it everyday last winter - my DR feels it's responsible for getting my cholo in check. Other things are imortant as well - google webmd.p

Old 03-27-2010, 06:05 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,050,034 times
Talking Yes, I did !

Quote:

Actually, my Blog explains how I reduced my high cholesterol without drugs and continue to do so

Old 03-28-2010, 11:18 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
Quote:

For your friend, I use Red Rice Yeast time released tablets. It has kept my cholesterol in check for about two years now. And I had none of the side-effects I had when I took other statins. There are different types and cholesterol related problems so what works for one may not work for another.

Losing wieght often helps too but not always. Having a pet is the best medicine for many things that ail us.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
For your friend, I use Red Rice Yeast time released tablets. It has kept my cholesterol in check for about two years now. And I had none of the side-effects I had when I took other statins. There are different types and cholesterol related problems so what works for one may not work for another.

Losing wieght often helps too but not always. Having a pet is the best medicine for many things that ail us.
Minervah - Where do you find this stuff (red rice...)?

Old 03-28-2010, 11:51 AM

Here's a link to an article from the Mayo Clinic:

Cholesterol-lowering supplements: Lower your numbers without prescription medication - MayoClinic.com

Old 03-28-2010, 02:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Oatmeal - it really works
I'm amazed at the difference oatmeal 2x /wk made in my systemic crawl to High Cholesterol (tracked for 30 yrs).

This yr I'm doing oatmeal 4x / wk (I am using (scottish and steel cut))

Also increasing fruits to 4 servings / day. Adding Flax meal to fruit smoothies and oatmeal, & reducing snacks to celery, pumpkin seeds & water.

I do like cheese , so am trying some different varieties, but being a 'shoestringer' I'm limited in choice of 'bargain' cheese.

When the Ice Cream containers shrank to 1.5qt and retained 2qt price, I quit buying (that seems to help (budget and waist))

Getting back to High School weight was not hard, but I may need a 'stretch rack', to get back to HS width. Where is Uncle Fester when you need him? (can't you still hear Morticia's bones crack!) I think it will be enough when I look in the mirror and see her shape
http://is2.okcupid.com/users/158/762/15876329749812769785/mt1138412827.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement