Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 08:38 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times

Advertisements

GLS,

Your point is well-taken. Perhaps it boils down to whether we believe we are or aren't our brother's keeper, and whether "we should do unto others as we would have them do unto us." I don't bring this up as a religious or spiritual point, but as a philosophical point of view. My POV being yes to both questions.

Health insurance has increased to the point where only a small segment of the population can afford adequate--or any--coverage. It's not a question of earning it or not, but for many, having to choose between food or insurance.

I believe this bill will help make insurance more affordable. I know others believe just the opposite...and we shall see. It's all conjecture at this point until the execution. But the current health care system has been broken..it's time for a repair. The free market plan was a failure, unless you were among the fortunate few who had good insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 08:50 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
GLS,

Your point is well-taken. Perhaps it boils down to whether we believe we are or aren't our brother's keeper, and whether "we should do unto others as we would have them do unto us." I don't bring this up as a religious or spiritual point, but as a philosophical point of view. My POV being yes to both questions.

Health insurance has increased to the point where only a small segment of the population can afford adequate--or any--coverage. It's not a question of earning it or not, but for many, having to choose between food or insurance.

I believe this bill will help make insurance more affordable. I know others believe just the opposite...and we shall see. It's all conjecture at this point until the execution. But the current health care system has been broken..it's time for a repair. The free market plan was a failure, unless you were among the fortunate few who had good insurance.
What happens if tight controls are put on insurance companies and heath care costs keep rising?

Even Nancy Pelosi made a slip of the tongue on TV yesterday.
She used the words--health care reform---then quickly changed it to --health insurance reform.

Reforming and controlling costs of health insurance is not the same as reforming and controlling the cost of health care.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:24 PM

I believe the two are closely interconnected. How can they not be? One feeds the other.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:18 PM
GLS GLS started this thread

1,985 posts, read 5,379,394 times
Quote:
GLS,

While we may disagree, yours' is a cogent argument, advanced sincerely, with constructive intent. I respect that.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:16 AM

See, we all can get along...GLS, I respect your POV also...

Old 03-24-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but I don't buy the constitutional argument at all. Personally, I think it's unconstitutional to go bankrupt trying to pay off medical bills...and unconstitutional to die too young because of lack of health care.

If you think about it, if we're entitled to 'life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness," the life, liberty and happiness are kind of hard to pursue if we've just lost our homes due to being bankrupted by medical bills. That's what I think is unconstitutional.

That's a far reach !

Old 03-24-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I believe the two are closely interconnected. How can they not be? One feeds the other.
??????????

Unless tight restrictions are put on both by the Federal Govt, I can't see how medical costs aren't gonna continue to soar .

Tight restrictions were only put on one under the new insurance reform bill.

The only way insurance companies will survive under the restrictions is to start limiting ( rationong) what procedures they will allow the people to partake in.

That will sure get the people mad !

You can't force GM to build Cadillacs and sell them at Chevy prices.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:32 AM

I guess one could argue it is unconstitutional to have cars repossessed cuz the guy needs that car for transportation to get to work and feed his family.

Of course, I doubt courts would agree with that position or agree with some of the other outlandish views posted here on what the constiturion provides for.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:25 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,243,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
So, you want fewer doctors entering general practice? You do realize that health care reform will reduce doctor's income and thus will not be commensurate with the cost of their education, internship, medical equipment, office and staff expenses. That automatically reduces the number of people going to medical school and choosing general practice. Talk to the people that know...

The government can't have it both ways. The health care reform will be paid for by:

*Increased taxes for individuals (who will have less to spend on housing, products, services, etc.)
*Increased costs for companies (who will hire fewer workers because their costs per employee will be higher, which will keep unemployment high)
*Reduced care for people on Medicare
*Fewer insurance companies (reducing further competition for insurance)
*Lesser charges allowed by doctors and hospitals (reducing the number of doctors entering practice & reducing the money available by hospitals to grow, add rooms and staff, and to buy the latest technology and equipment)
*Offering fewer medical services and tests to patients
And the list goes on...and on...and on...and on.

The government should not be involved in health care. You see what the government has done to Medicare and Social Security - they are broken and broke.
The gubmint created this problem in the first place by tieing employment to health insurance decades ago. Typical. They meddle and screw things up, blame it on the private sector and then screw it up more.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:15 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Health care is not a right! Congress is forcing people to buy insurance. That is unconstitutional!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
Ah. And we can tell by your use of 20+ exclamation points that you are a constitutional scholar.

Debate over. Your use of exclamation points has definitively answered the question.

Well done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement