Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 07:18 AM

17,411 posts, read 16,574,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Even after drastic cleaning out - do you really want to downsize?
Yes, of course. Why should we have the maintenance and expense of a 5 bedroom 4 1/2 bath home on nearly two acres when there will be just the two of us living here? It was different when our kids were living at home year round and we needed the space to spread out.

My husband and I would be fine downsizing to a 3 bedroom 2 1/2 bath home on a smaller lot and still have bedrooms for our kids to stay in when they came for a visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2023, 07:19 AM

4,615 posts, read 3,310,927 times
We're there. Talked about downsizing but have this enormous load of "stuff" inherited from parents - collectables, etc. and too late to think about eBay or Etsy or any of those other long drawn out methods of disposing of those kinds of things. Besides, I have the energy to do about one thing per day and then that's it for today. Every time I look at the blankets, quilts, comforters from living up north, extra curtains, and too many sheets, pillowcases, and tablecloths I get tired without having done anything. And that's just the linens. Glass, china, figurines, books, pictures. I have 5 sets of china, 4 sets of silverplate or sterling, crystal and glassware that's sat there for the last decade. Paintings and pictures. I could go on, but I'm getting tired thinking about all of it. I just wish someone would come in and steal it all. I put a bag of several pairs of nice winter boots into a giveaway bag and it's just sat there.

I do want to downsize. I can't vacuum this 2500 sq. ft. place without getting tired. So now I'm talking myself into calling the Breast Cancer Foundation. Hope they come to this area.

Old 08-02-2023, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
We're there. Talked about downsizing but have this enormous load of "stuff" inherited from parents - collectables, etc. and too late to think about eBay or Etsy or any of those other long drawn out methods of disposing of those kinds of things. Besides, I have the energy to do about one thing per day and then that's it for today. Every time I look at the blankets, quilts, comforters from living up north, extra curtains, and too many sheets, pillowcases, and tablecloths I get tired without having done anything. And that's just the linens. Glass, china, figurines, books, pictures. I have 5 sets of china, 4 sets of silverplate or sterling, crystal and glassware that's sat there for the last decade. Paintings and pictures. I could go on, but I'm getting tired thinking about all of it. I just wish someone would come in and steal it all. I put a bag of several pairs of nice winter boots into a giveaway bag and it's just sat there.

I do want to downsize. I can't vacuum this 2500 sq. ft. place without getting tired. So now I'm talking myself into calling the Breast Cancer Foundation. Hope they come to this area.
Definitely call one of the donation centers and schedule a pickup. My mom did that on a fairly regular basis. It didn't instantly clear out her house but it made a huge difference over time - a few boxes here, a few boxes there, an unused chair or couch, etc. It adds up.

When it came time for her to move, her house was orderly and she knew what she had. She still had a lot of stuff to get rid of because she was moving to a smaller place, but it was all good stuff that was fairly easy to unload.

Don't overthink it, don't stress yourself out. Just do it.

Old 08-02-2023, 07:52 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,950,374 times
Just some general questions that only your parents can answer --

Do they like living in Texas ?
Are they located near one of the larger cities ?
Are you located close enough to them so that you can regularly visit ?
do they have a social circle there, one they can depend on for support ?

The 'stuff' situation is something you might have to sit with them and go over each individual piece.....you're going to have to do that eventually anyway.

5 acres is a lot to take care, especially in the Texas heat. But a downsize from that into a Condo might be culture shock.

Old 08-02-2023, 08:14 AM

22,613 posts, read 47,734,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
Just some general questions that only your parents can answer --

Do they like living in Texas ?
Are they located near one of the larger cities ?
Are you located close enough to them so that you can regularly visit ?
do they have a social circle there, one they can depend on for support ?

The 'stuff' situation is something you might have to sit with them and go over each individual piece.....you're going to have to do that eventually anyway.

5 acres is a lot to take care, especially in the Texas heat. But a downsize from that into a Condo might be culture shock.
The parents are more than likely passed from this earth by now....
But, even if they are still living, the questions are moot 16 years later!

Old 08-02-2023, 08:23 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,950,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post

oh my goodness, I never looked at the OP Date......who the hell resurrected a 16 year old thread ??

That is funny !! Mea Culpa....Mea Maxima Culp !

Old 08-02-2023, 08:28 AM

6,628 posts, read 7,356,741 times
See if you can get them to rent a home in a close by large (more activities) over 55 community.
Probably several months. The idea is to show them the benefits of a new life.

Old 08-02-2023, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yeah, but it's a common enough problem. People deal with this sort of situation with their aging parents all the time.

Yes, it's cool to have boxes of china from you and your husband's great grandparents, grandparents, parents and your own china. How much of that do you actually use? Is the goal to pass down 7 boxes of china to your kids? Is that an act of love or is that more of a "I can't bring myself to get rid of this"?

I'm all for keeping family heirlooms but you've got to be selective. If your not selective, the amount is overwhelming and nothing seems special.

Old 08-02-2023, 08:50 AM

426 posts, read 270,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Yeah, but it's a common enough problem. People deal with this sort of situation with their aging parents all the time.

Yes, it's cool to have boxes of china from you and your husband's great grandparents, grandparents, parents and your own china. How much of that do you actually use? Is the goal to pass down 7 boxes of china to your kids? Is that an act of love or is that more of a "I can't bring myself to get rid of this"?

I'm all for keeping family heirlooms but you've got to be selective. If your not selective, the amount is overwhelming and nothing seems special.
A lot of people that were married in the past few decades don’t have their own set of china, so we only have the stuff we inherited. My mom’s set was used less than once a year. I took note and didn’t get my own. I now have inherited two sets of china and am scared to use them.

It can be a good idea to go ahead and pass down heirlooms to your kids once they’re established in their own places.

Old 08-02-2023, 08:54 AM

7,148 posts, read 12,686,436 times
I know this is an old thread--but yet it's a common problem.

There should be a service that carefully culls enough "stuff" from an elder's home and leaves them with a "starter kit" of household goods that will fit their new habitat.

This service could come in after the children and grandchildren (if any) of the elders get to pick and choose what they want (if anything) from their elders stuff--and remove. Set a date for them to do this and then call the service.

It's just too overwhelming for many elders to try to downsize many years worth of goods--especially if there are any hoarding tendencies or inherited generational things with memories attached.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement