Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 06:15 PM

17,374 posts, read 16,518,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I acted on your advice and went online to try and find a place that would pick up. Nope. I guess our town is a bit too small. I'm going to keep trying, but in the meantime I have started acting on my own advice and have 1 bag and 2 boxes of miscl. packed. We are going to take them to a secondhand store that takes donations tomorrow. I will keep on with this now that I realize no one else is going to help me.
That's a bummer that they won't do pick ups in your area.

We haven't scheduled any pick ups at our house so I'm assuming that some of the donation trucks come out to our house, but I suppose they might not. So far, we've mostly gotten rid of things via donations to the various donation centers, our community websites and our community yard sale. I donated some books to our public library.

It's certainly a process but a little here and a little there has a way of adding up.

Just another idea: Have you considered hiring a professional estate salesperson to organize and sell your belongings? They would keep a good cut of the proceeds but the rest would go to you and that way you would at least get something for your things. It sounds as though you have more stuff than we do and there might even be some value to it. I've never considered going the estate sale route because we don't really have much in the way of valuable things that we are trying to get rid of. For us, Goodwill works fine.

Last edited by springfieldva; 08-02-2023 at 06:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2023, 07:13 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,040 times
^^^ I was thinking of an estate sale as well. Or Salvation Army or Goodwill. I think that DAV or AmVets will pick up furniture and other big items. At least they used to (everything has changed since COVID).

Topic is still relevant, btw.

Old 08-02-2023, 07:29 PM

22,588 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Yeah, but it's a common enough problem. People deal with this sort of situation with their aging parents all the time.
true enough, but my response was to FiveLoaves who was asking specific questions for bsnyder98, who has not signed on since 12/06/07.

Last edited by Pitt Chick; 08-02-2023 at 07:59 PM..

Old 08-02-2023, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A New Day View Post
I now have inherited two sets of china and am scared to use them.
Why would you be scared? They were made to be used!

Old 08-02-2023, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I acted on your advice and went online to try and find a place that would pick up. Nope. I guess our town is a bit too small. I'm going to keep trying, but in the meantime I have started acting on my own advice and have 1 bag and 2 boxes of miscl. packed. We are going to take them to a secondhand store that takes donations tomorrow. I will keep on with this now that I realize no one else is going to help me.
Same here... no one does pickups.
Keep plugging away, and bit by bit it WILL get done!
Good luck!

Old 08-02-2023, 08:02 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,207,041 times
Yep the charities here* (I am in a big city) mostly have quit pickups since covid. Goodwill sometimes turns away furniture drop offs as well.

I got rid of a couch with one of those junk haulers (but of course it wasn't free).

Last edited by ihatetodust; 08-02-2023 at 09:08 PM..

Old 08-02-2023, 09:46 PM

7,097 posts, read 4,531,425 times
If you have decent stuff to get rid of you can list it for free online and people will come pick it up.

Old 08-03-2023, 08:57 AM

4,606 posts, read 3,300,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
If you have decent stuff to get rid of you can list it for free online and people will come pick it up.
Now that is a thought. I could post on Nextdoor. Especially if I have big things like furniture. They do have that in this town. I just know that if I do everything piecemeal I will still be here trying to get rid of stuff 10 years from now.

Old 08-03-2023, 09:01 AM

17,374 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Quote:
Now that is a thought. I could post on Nextdoor. Especially if I have big things like furniture. They do have that in this town. I just know that if I do everything piecemeal I will still be here trying to get rid of stuff 10 years from now.
We got rid of a couch that way. We listed it for FREE and the people came to pick it up, moved it out of our house and into their truck and it was gone just like that. We didn't have to lift a finger.

Old 08-03-2023, 09:35 AM

11,120 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
That's a bummer that they won't do pick ups in your area.

We haven't scheduled any pick ups at our house so I'm assuming that some of the donation trucks come out to our house, but I suppose they might not. So far, we've mostly gotten rid of things via donations to the various donation centers, our community websites and our community yard sale. I donated some books to our public library.

It's certainly a process but a little here and a little there has a way of adding up.

Just another idea: Have you considered hiring a professional estate salesperson to organize and sell your belongings? They would keep a good cut of the proceeds but the rest would go to you and that way you would at least get something for your things. It sounds as though you have more stuff than we do and there might even be some value to it. I've never considered going the estate sale route because we don't really have much in the way of valuable things that we are trying to get rid of. For us, Goodwill works fine.
I live in a community with mainly seniors, and this is what they do. They buy their new place, pack up and deliver just the minimum things necessary to furnish the new place, the clothes they want to keep, and the stuff that is really important in a sentimental way, and then they call an estate sale company who goes through the old house room by room pricing everything that's left. They'll price everything right down to partially used bottles of weed killer out in the garage, and unexpired, unopened cans and boxes in the pantry! They start the sale on Thursday or Friday at 100% of their tagged prices, Saturday is 25% off the tag price, and Sunday is 50% off. At the end of Sunday, leftovers are delivered to the charity thrift store of your choice. The estate sale company takes their cut and sends you the balance. If you have things that are actually valuable antiques or jewelry or furs or something like that, they sell it at on on-line auction and send you the proceeds after fees are paid.

This is their full-time job, and they know what stuff will sell for. There's very little left on Sunday mornings at the sales around here. We live in an island of wealthy people, surrounded by a sea of middle and lower income folks, so there's something there for everyone at most sales, no matter how expensive or how cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement