Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 07:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times

Advertisements

I agree altho I have great medicare supplemnt ;I also know alot of people who trade the choice for advantage plans because it allows them to both eat and have medical care at resonable cost. Its just as comoin for medical care to be better in some cities than other more expensive places. One reason I am grald even with good coverage that I am close to Houston medical center.Just as in many nations that have universal; its common for the very rich to go here for on demand care at highest technology levels or to use a private facilties for their surgery rahter than the national hospitals.Being able to afford the best care possible has manhy meanings depending on ablity to pay;no matter what the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 10:48 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,415,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art2ro View Post
Why do you think medical facilities here only have disgusting bathrooms? Also, if you had your choice and can not fend for yourself, are you willing to be put in a convalescent home or would you want to be taken care of in your own home or die in a hospital bed? From your comments it appears you are well to do and can afford it either way you want to go. Not everyone has that luxury let alone have health insurance!
Really, Art2ro, if someone can afford $8-10K annually for the privilege of having access to a "concierge" doctor, these are not the people who will be worrying about money for nursing care if they become incapacitated.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:09 AM

987 posts, read 1,387,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Really, Art2ro, if someone can afford $8-10K annually for the privilege of having access to a "concierge" doctor, these are not the people who will be worrying about money for nursing care if they become incapacitated.
I know people with money can afford "concierge" doctors let alone private nurses at their beck and call, not like us poor people! At least we do have health care insurance, where some do not, until it becomes mandatory for all even for those who can't afford it!

Old 12-03-2012, 06:48 AM

5,332 posts, read 6,030,254 times
Quote:
I'm not sure where you're getting the $8-10K/year. Perhaps this figure is for concierge doctors limiting their practice to the super wealthy? Anyway, it looks as if the standard amount is about $1-2K a year (at least in Maryland).
High costs push middle class to concierge doctors - Baltimore Business Journal

Old 12-03-2012, 08:11 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,506,794 times
So I have a question. How did a thread on moving close to family devolve into a back-and-fourth, who's rich and who isn't discussion on primary care physicians, Medicare supplement coverage and long-term care issues? We all have different needs, different abilities to pay and different ideas as to what we want. All the discussion in the world isn't going to change that.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:07 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,987,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
So I have a question. How did a thread on moving close to family devolve into a back-and-fourth, who's rich and who isn't discussion on primary care physicians, Medicare supplement coverage and long-term care issues?
It's our age. One of the reasons I'd never live in an aging community. Everyone soon forgets the original topic and is off in their own land, sometimes taking a few with them...

Old 12-03-2012, 10:07 AM

987 posts, read 1,387,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
It's our age. One of the reasons I'd never live in an aging community. Everyone soon forgets the original topic and is off in their own land, sometimes taking a few with them...
Yeah, ditto! Besides it's the nature of forums and retired older folks do get side tracked more often than others!

Old 12-03-2012, 04:13 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,514,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art2ro View Post
Why do you think medical facilities here only have disgusting bathrooms? Also, if you had your choice and can not fend for yourself, are you willing to be put in a convalescent home or would you want to be taken care of in your own home or die in a hospital bed? From your comments it appears you are well to do and can afford it either way you want to go. Not everyone has that luxury let alone have health insurance!
This is a thread about retiring close to family. Which you didn't do (except in a very remote sense). You moved out of the US to the Philippines because:

After reading both of your posts, it reminded me why we retired here in the Philippines, our roots since both of us were born here. It was because that when my wife and I got too old and couldn't fend for ourselves, hiring domestic help, chauffeurs, nurses and or care givers are affordable here in our home and also my wife has nieces and nephews who are close to her who will inherit our home when the time comes. It's just the two of us in our home with a live-out housekeeper, I'm now 64 and my wife 49 and far from being too old, but I'm getting there! Life is grand when a plan comes together!

If that's your cup of tea - so be it. But you were the one who posted a video with pictures of a disgusting bathroom - apparently complaining because Tricare isn't buying you the "high priced spread" health care in the Philippines. On my part - I noted in the thread you started that Medicare doesn't pay for any regular overseas medical care - and that I didn't understand why Tricare did either.

We all wish we could die in an angelic pose in our own beds in our own houses - just drifting into the sunset without pain. But sometimes our lives and final illnesses don't play out like that. There are some final illnesses that can be dealt with at home - others can't be. Regardless of how much money - or how many niece and nephew-in-laws we have. Relatives - no matter how close - do not necessarily have the training or physical ability to deal with certain illnesses. Or perhaps the stomach (like in the case of advanced Alzheimer's patients - who may be both bladder and bowel incontinent for many years before death). None of us know what final hand we've been dealt until we're actually playing it. Robyn

Old 12-03-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
A SNF costs more like $80k/year than $8k. So someone who can afford a concierge doctor can't necessarily afford a good SNF.

OTOH - the most important point I'm making is why people might move (or not move) to be close to family. If it's because they believe that family will be a substitute for skilled health care down the road - I think many people will find that they're mistaken in this expectation. Robyn

Old 12-03-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
It's actually a good question IMO. Do people move/retire to be near family because they expect family will take care of them in their "old age" (whether the expectation is explicit or implicit)?

I'll give you a for example. My father moved here about 7 years ago after my mother died. He is now 94. He is considering some non-essential surgery that would incapacitate him almost 100% for at least 2-3 weeks. Both his primary care doc and my brother the doctor said if he had the surgery - he'd have to spend at least 2-3 weeks in a SNF. But one of my dim bulb male chauvinist cousin doctors said - a SNF - ridiculous! Robyn and Bart (my husband) can come over every day and take care of you. Right . Me with my current bad back and my husband with his MS are going to spend weeks of our lives lugging my father around his house and take care of him. Thanks but no thanks. That's not my job. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement