Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 12:01 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times

Advertisements

What are the top ten things you love about being a baby boomer??

These, in no particular order, are mine:

--I inhaled
--I danced to disco
--I danced to folk music
--I danced to the Grateful Dead
--I owned a VW Camper
--I wore my hair down to my waist--and put flowers in it
--I moved to San Francisco--but always held a job
--I know how to make a nutloaf and eat a macrobiotic diet
--I remember JFK, Martin Luther King, Bobby Kennedy, Jimmi Hendrix, John Lennon and Jim Morrison..and let's not forget Janis Joplin and John Belushi and Glida Radner
--I remember when everyone shared and we had so much hope for the future
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 12:09 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Y'all gave birth to crusty X-ers like me.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:15 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
We grew up right in that little window before aids and right after the invention of the birth control pill lol

Old 12-04-2009, 12:23 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
I fought a nasty war.
I didn't do drugs.
I raised and supported a family.
I retired solvent.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:31 PM

i remember tv's with only 12 channels
and getting whacked was a good thing.......

Old 12-04-2009, 01:06 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Free love
Great music
Good drugs
You could hitchhike all over the country and not end up in a ditch, dead.
If you needed a place to crash someone would find one. No need to live under a bridge.
Life really was simpler, and that was good.
No video games! As much as I enjoy them I consider their lack to have been a good thing.

The not so good:

Losing friends because they never returned from Vietnam.
Some who did were scarred physically and/or mentally
We lost an innocent at Kent State for no reason
We lost a president for no reason
Everyone waited for the Bomb to drop - thank God it hasn't - yet.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:11 PM

You reminded me of when we used to hide under our desks in school so the giant nuclear fire ball didnt get us..

how funny is that, hiding under a wooden desk ha ha ha

guess we were the tinder....

Old 12-04-2009, 01:27 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
You reminded me of when we used to hide under our desks in school so the giant nuclear fire ball didnt get us..

how funny is that, hiding under a wooden desk ha ha ha

guess we were the tinder....
In our drill (that's right, we only had one drill), we went into the halls and were supposed to lie down in front of the lockers. I guess that way we would've all been uniformly crushed as the walls caved in.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:06 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
I was at that cusp of technology boom. I learned how to do math and statistics by hand and by slide rule but quickly got to use calculators in the applied science courses which took some of the dog work out of problem solving. It provided a depth of understanding that later kids didn't get because the machines would do all the thinking for them. I remember a chem teacher with his circular slide rule who challenged anyone to beat his calculation speed with a calculator. No one could.

I remember the claims of free love but quickly learned nothing in life is free. There is always a price to pay in one way or another.

I didn't inhale - didn't like drugs and thought real life with all my wits was the ultimate high.

I remember when we could go hiking in the mountains and streams were clean enough to drink from.

I remember the start of Earth Day and how toxic many rivers were. Then living long enough to find that many of them have been cleaned up. We don't have to make such a mess of the earth and it is more resilient than we thought.

I took advantage of inexpensive college education.

I remember when being smart and able to do well in school including math and science was cool and being stupid or ignorant was not cool.

I remember when superstition was not something to be respected.

The best thing about being a baby boomer is that I have 55 years of experience under my belt and I know so much more than I did then. I know that most of those things I thought were important are not. I would not go back to my youth for anything. There is so much to look forward to and I've earned my freedom. I would not want to have to re-learn all those lessons again.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:03 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I was at that cusp of technology boom. I learned how to do math and statistics by hand and by slide rule but quickly got to use calculators in the applied science courses which took some of the dog work out of problem solving. It provided a depth of understanding that later kids didn't get because the machines would do all the thinking for them. I remember a chem teacher with his circular slide rule who challenged anyone to beat his calculation speed with a calculator. No one could.
Boy, that brings back memories. I remember using a slide rule and I remember buying the first TI calculator for $129. Now you can get a calculator with the same functionality for free or under $5. I had a teacher do the same challenge. At least no one in our class was stupid enough to take him up on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement