Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 05:22 PM

132 posts, read 250,037 times

Advertisements

Well, it looks like the lovely over-paid, and under-worked state workers will be getting another 3% raise, giving them a total of 6% for the year. RI has been ranked 50th in doing business, and the state most likely to file for bankruptcy.

The teachers union had the audacity to fight for binding arbitration, which would have relinquished any bargaining power by the cities and towns to reach any fair agreements. RI teachers are amongst the highest paid in the nation, and probably the world. Imagine, in spite of severe shortfalls in the state budget, and an extremely tough economy, the teachers (union) went full steam ahead, and just narrowly lost it.

Angel Taveras, a completely spineless mayor of Providence has plans to ignore current law, allowing only the maximum of 4.5% increase, but to raise Providence property taxes a whopping 14%. This allows retirees to sleep sound a night in the Florida residence, rather to worry about making any concession at all, to their already generous retirment package. To hell with the citizens of the state, too bad its a tough economy, the states workers come first! High taxes also destroy incentive for other business to come to Providence, or RI for that matter.

Leaving for TX next week, can't wait...

Old 07-12-2011, 06:21 AM

605 posts, read 1,093,330 times
Rhode Island will never change, it is what it is. It has all been said before.
I think you will find, you will not be alone in moving out of RI. Many RI citizens I know are making plans.

Good luck in Texas, be sure to let everyone know on this forum the pro's and con's.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:23 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro-Dialin View Post
Leaving for TX next week, can't wait...
That makes two of us. Have fun in one of the most undereducated, budget busting States in the Union.

They also won't ask you for statistics there to back up any of your assertions because they're just as careless with the "info" they throw around as you are!

The irony is someone from Rhode Island who moved to Texas just posted like two weeks ago how they can't wait to get back.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:40 PM

583 posts, read 1,325,083 times
Well, it was a bit surprising to me too. So why so angry? Shouldn't you be working instead of emailing on the job? Just sayin....maybe you've got a night job or something.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:47 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,239,212 times
alternate schedule indeed. not everyone works 9-5. and i work for NJ, not RI. just completely over people in NJ crying about state workers and this myth of how well off we are. im friggin struggling. dont know about the rest of us.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:40 PM

9,298 posts, read 14,913,687 times
Just a few comments. The tax proposal is for slightly less than 5%.
Property tax-rate hike cut | Rhode Island news | projo.com | The Providence Journal

and even that has not been approved.

State workers have not had raises for several years. The 3% was a catch up.

Most state workers are hard working middle class people- why are you so angry at them? You could make a distinction between them ( I believe the average state worker makes 35k- hardly a princely sum) and the political appointees who are the ones who get unfair advantages.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:11 PM

583 posts, read 1,325,083 times
Yes and having worked with many state employees over the years, I know that they have their plates very full. It's sort of unfortunate that for many people, the most visible state jobs are those that appear 'chill' like being a park ranger or something. I know that in many state offices, it's an entirely different case. That said, the state employees I've worked with seem to have a good support system in place so that they can keep their jobs because, rightly so--- one person can only do so much, whereas other non-state jobs I've seen workers exploited to no end, because they are more dispensible. Lest not we forget at least the reasons that union protection came about.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:47 PM

132 posts, read 250,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
That makes two of us. Have fun in one of the most undereducated, budget busting States in the Union.

They also won't ask you for statistics there to back up any of your assertions because they're just as careless with the "info" they throw around as you are!

The irony is someone from Rhode Island who moved to Texas just posted like two weeks ago how they can't wait to get back.
Do you even have a clue what you are talking about? Careless with info? If you look up under-educated states you will see TX achieves above the national average. You will also notice RI is below the national average, thus why Deborah Gist was brought in to administrate severe education reform. You exemplify the true native.

Last edited by Ro-Dialin; 07-12-2011 at 03:00 PM..

Old 07-12-2011, 03:21 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,239,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltatrix View Post
the most visible state jobs are those that appear 'chill' like being a park ranger or something. I know that in many state offices, it's an entirely different case. That said, the state employees I've worked with seem to have a good support system in place so that they can keep their jobs because, rightly so--- one person can only do so much, whereas other non-state jobs I've seen workers exploited to no end, because they are more dispensible. Lest not we forget at least the reasons that union protection came about.
i understand that. believe me some of my coworkers should be let go. especially the old timers. sorry guys. but they just never stop talking about the old days when they could just dick off all day and not be held accountable.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:38 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro-Dialin View Post
Do you even have a clue what you are talking about? Careless with info? If you look up under-educated states you will see TX achieves above the national average. You will also notice RI is below the national average, thus why Deborah Gist was brought in to administrate severe education reform. You exemplify the true native.
OK, let's see your stats pal.

I am making a bold prediction right now: We never will.

OK, so it's not bold because the stats you speak of only come sprinkled with fairy dust.

(And maybe some TX BBQ sauce.)

Our Governor: Linc Chafee

Yours: Rick Perry.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/07/1...berty-demonic/

'Nuff said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island