Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 07:42 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,999,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSpy View Post
Municipalities can indeed file for bankruptcy. States can't. Just read the relevant section of the law.
There you go getting into those pesky facts again. How meticulously German of you.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:23 PM

1,123 posts, read 776,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro-Dialin View Post
Well, it looks like the lovely over-paid, and under-worked state workers will be getting another 3% raise, giving them a total of 6% for the year. RI has been ranked 50th in doing business, and the state most likely to file for bankruptcy.

The teachers union had the audacity to fight for binding arbitration, which would have relinquished any bargaining power by the cities and towns to reach any fair agreements. RI teachers are amongst the highest paid in the nation, and probably the world. Imagine, in spite of severe shortfalls in the state budget, and an extremely tough economy, the teachers (union) went full steam ahead, and just narrowly lost it.

Angel Taveras, a completely spineless mayor of Providence has plans to ignore current law, allowing only the maximum of 4.5% increase, but to raise Providence property taxes a whopping 14%. This allows retirees to sleep sound a night in the Florida residence, rather to worry about making any concession at all, to their already generous retirment package. To hell with the citizens of the state, too bad its a tough economy, the states workers come first! High taxes also destroy incentive for other business to come to Providence, or RI for that matter.

Leaving for TX next week, can't wait...
The times, they are a changin'...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/20/us...ls.html?ref=us

City in Rhode Island Asks Retirees to Sacrifice

Old 07-20-2011, 03:51 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,740,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
DUDE - Seriously?? You are complaining about illegal immigration in New England, and you are moving to Texas???

That is the funniest thing I've read in a while on here. (And you've got some stiff competition!)
As a resident of Texas I find that funny as well.

Texas has one of the highest populations of illegal immigrants in the US and Rick Perry has been included in a few "corruption" schemes himself. PJ1252 is in for a rude awakening.

Anyways I for one would not mind living in Rhode Island as long as I can find a job there. Seems like a nice place to live.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:54 AM

605 posts, read 1,093,330 times
that would be different, moving from Texas to Rhode Island. I mean from such a large state to the nations smallest. It's all in what you need I guess.

RI is a state that is heavily in debt, fighting over dollars that a dwindling population can no longer provide. Taxes are high, jobs are low. Come on up!

Old 07-21-2011, 12:07 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,740,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco917 View Post
that would be different, moving from Texas to Rhode Island. I mean from such a large state to the nations smallest. It's all in what you need I guess.

RI is a state that is heavily in debt, fighting over dollars that a dwindling population can no longer provide. Taxes are high, jobs are low. Come on up!
I am sure it would be different change of pace.

Anyways nowadays what state isn't in debt? Even Texas had to deal with rising unemployment rates and unless you were lucky enough to find work in the energy/medical/or defense fields most of the new job growth here is paying close to minimum wage. Don't forget the property taxes here as well which hover around 3% (although there is no income tax), higher rates for homeowner insurance, etc. There are many good things about Texas but it definately isn't shangri-la as so many here on city-data like to think.

Also don't Rhode Island residents have the option of working in the Boston area as well? According to the BLM, Boston has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the US (even lower than Houston or DFW).

Last edited by diablo234; 07-21-2011 at 12:15 AM..

Old 07-21-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Anyways nowadays what state isn't in debt? Even Texas had to deal with rising unemployment rates and unless you were lucky enough to find work in the energy/medical/or defense fields most of the new job growth here is paying close to minimum wage. Don't forget the property taxes here as well which hover around 3% (although there is no income tax), higher rates for homeowner insurance, etc. There are many good things about Texas but it definitely isn't Shangri-La as so many here on city-data like to think.
true all states are in debt, some states more than others. Think of the fact that there is no income tax as a raise. Think of it as a reduction in your property tax. No...Texas is not Shangri-La, but I will guarantee you this, when we pull out of this recession, Texas will be one of the first out, and RI will be last out. I have seen it happen before. I have lived in RI my entire life.
Yes, i guess you could commute to Boston everyday as you say, that would be lots of fun.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:00 PM

564 posts, read 1,880,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post

if that's the best you can do you're slipping. Chafee is an idiot, I'm surprised he can breathe and walk at the same time......

No love affair for Perry with me, though. But Chafee....ugh....

Old 07-23-2011, 07:16 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,999,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryDude View Post
if that's the best you can do you're slipping. Chafee is an idiot, I'm surprised he can breathe and walk at the same time......

No love affair for Perry with me, though. But Chafee....ugh....
I think the sentiment "If that's the best you can do" should be coming from me after that post.

I point out that Rick Perry endorses a Pastor who has called the Statue Of Liberty 'demonic' (and there's waaaaay more where that came from!).

Your counter? 'Chafee....ugh".

Is that the best you can do? What is worse about Chafee (who has been governing now for 6 months), than Rick Perry (that crazy kooky corporate Christian looney-tune who is now probably running for President of a country he posited his state secede from mere months ago) who has been governing Texas for 10 years now?

I guarantee you the treasure trove of Perry garbage couldn't hold a light to Chafee if Chafee governed for another 100 years.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I point out that Rick Perry endorses a Pastor who has called the Statue Of Liberty 'demonic' (and there's waaaaay more where that came from!).
Similar to Obama and Van Jones, imagine allowing Van Jones into a position of authority in the United States Government, imagine allowing Van Jones in the White House at all. ...how about his Pastor Wright, he was certainly "kooky" at the very best. No...Obama certainly has his share of low life friends.

Oh...and after 9/11 I'll take a Christian looney tune over a Muslim looney tune any time. Why would you bring up religion anyway??? What's the point?

Now to Gov. Chafee...his recent refusal to turn over a self professed hideous murder to the Fed's because he would be eligible for the death penalty is all you have to know about this idiot Liberal we have for a Governor. He finally decides to take a firm stance on something and this is what he think is valuable to Society. He is an embarrassment to a state that well experienced with being embarrassed.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:11 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,596,541 times
Some of the previous posters here are saying EXACTLY how I feel and many others I know
feel about what's been happening in Rhode Island. It's all certainly true.. the demographics
are changing, have been changing for quite some time, along with the "welfare migration" we
enjoy.. because we're oh-so bleeding heart. Anyone who watched the last General Assembly pass
bills to start a new separate school for drug-taking high school students, and pay the utility bills
for the welfare recipients knows that as long as the Democrats control the GA nothing will change.
Rhode Island is one of the most segregated states in the country.. there really ARE two different Rhode Islands,
and anyone who acts like there isn't is blind. We are not "together" in this. We are a segregated society here,
and resentments are GROWING.
State programs are so generous that literally EVERYTHING is provided, including spending cash.
These leeches sell their food credits for blow money, then raid the food bank. The food bank is a
freakin SUPERMARKET. The social safety net has turned into the social GENERATIONAL HAMMOCK.
They vote in politicians who will continue to tax the working population into providing lifestyles
of ABSOLUTE LEISURE to the non-contributing TAKERS, whose population is exponentially growing,
as they are rewarded for having more and more baby wards of the state, while the working familes
can afford to have fewer children.
Rhode Island is a state which used to be FAR better than it is today. Anyone old enough to know
what this place was like "back in the day" knows that. We are a shadow of what we were. People
used to LOVE this place, and enjoy their lives thoroughly, without any trepidation or loathing, and
with PRIDE.. Now ? not so much.. virtually everyone I know is upset, complaining.. that's not how
it was at all in the past.
Those who choose to stay are either in the system itself, dependent on public funds,
or simply won't move out because their older family members are here... so they
accept a lower standard of life than they could easily attain elsewhere in this country.
Once that dissapears, I have no idea where the tax base will even come from anymore.

Last edited by Snowball7; 07-23-2011 at 06:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island