Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 02:57 PM

5 posts, read 7,719 times

Advertisements

I have a potential job offer in Providence, RI. I have never been to RI before so I know absolutely nothing about the city or state. I have a 6th grade daughter who needs to go to some sort of a performing arts school (she sings, dances, and acts and has been going to performing arts schools since Kindergarten)...this is my top priority as far as where I live. What is the average cost of a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment in the Providence/Boston area? I would like to live in a family friendly area where the cost of living is not too expensive but also an area that is urbanized and has activities, shopping and a park in walking/bike riding distance. Boston is really close to Providence so if I need to move in between the two cities to get what I want I am willing to do that. Any advise or help from anyone who lives or who has lived in the area is most appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 03:45 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,995,880 times
Where are you coming from?

Expensive is all relative depending upon one's prior experience.

With a child, Boston is not an option for you for living if you are working in Providence. And it is more expensive than Providence and the burbs.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:52 PM

I currently live in Houston, Tx. I grew up in Indianapolis, In. I moved to Houston in 2008 for a job and I may be moving again in September if I get this new position I'm hoping and praying for. I am willing to commute to Providence for work if the best school for my daughter is some where outside Providence whether that be in a suburb or another city.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:20 AM

32 posts, read 47,366 times
It's going to be more expensive than Houston, unless you were living in Clear Lake or something. The humidity will remind you of home, at least

Old 07-31-2012, 08:40 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,595,058 times
spend some time looking through this RI forum
there is tons of info.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:55 AM

9,295 posts, read 14,911,147 times
Do you need a six grade school that is primarily arts or just an arts program in addition to the school? Private or public?

Old 07-31-2012, 07:34 PM

308 posts, read 517,941 times
commute to the city won't be a problem from most of the State. So your possibilities about a future town/city to land is almost endless.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:18 AM

I like to support public school as much as possible but if the private school offers scholarships and is a quality performing arts school I would consider enrolling her in one. When i speak of a performing arts school I mean a performing arts "magnet" school or a school that incorporates performing arts in their curriculum. What is the average cost for renting a 2br/2ba in the Providence area?

Old 08-01-2012, 05:43 AM

9,295 posts, read 14,911,147 times
You could first call the RI Department of Education to find out about arts magnet schools. I've heard of them for high school level but don't know about elementary level- but there may be some.

If you located in the Providence area, you'd be looking at upwards of $1200 for a 2/2 in a decent neighborhood. You'd probably need to look for a condo or townhouse for rent- there won't be a great deal available in the 2 bath category. You might not even end up in the Providence area depending on what school you locate - so rentals will go according to town. RI has nothing like Houston's endless apartment complexes.
Our housing stock is much more varied and usually much older.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:01 AM

Are there any apartment locators, websites, or magazines that Providence renters go to in order to make their searches easier? I've been all over the internet and Craigslist isnt very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island