Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 03:41 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,459,436 times

Advertisements

So the smallest national park in the nation is closed because the Republicans don't want to fund our government. I went by the Roger Williams National Memorial Park today and there was a small sign saying the park was closed.

I'm a law-biding citizen. Would you sit in the park knowing that it was officially closed? Will I get arrested if I read the NY Times in the park? Or should I moderate my stance and read the Wall Street Journal -- maybe that would make me less suspect and less likely to get arrested? I find this a great inconvenience and I blame the Republicans for this dilemma that I face. I really do. Comments and suggestions welcome.

God Bless America!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 03:58 PM

5,241 posts, read 6,156,300 times
They are still planning for Haloween

Jack-O-Lantern Spectacular opens Thursday at Roger Williams Park | Entertainment - Music, Theater, TV & more | Providence Journal - The Providence Journal

Old 10-04-2013, 04:02 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,459,436 times
Different park.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 10-04-2013, 06:04 PM

9,298 posts, read 14,916,355 times
I think this from our senator is very telling..... had you hear of the Hastert Rule?? I hadn't.

Sheldon Whitehouse: Blame GOP extremists for shutdown | Opinion - Rhode Islanders speak out on issues | Providence Journal - The Providence Journal

Old 10-04-2013, 07:30 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,555,263 times
Whitehouse is a moron, always has been. Got booted out of a large well respected Prov. law firm, d'oh.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:40 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
So the smallest national park in the nation is closed because the Republicans don't want to fund our government. I went by the Roger Williams National Memorial Park today and there was a small sign saying the park was closed.

I'm a law-biding citizen. Would you sit in the park knowing that it was officially closed? Will I get arrested if I read the NY Times in the park? Or should I moderate my stance and read the Wall Street Journal -- maybe that would make me less suspect and less likely to get arrested? I find this a great inconvenience and I blame the Republicans for this dilemma that I face. I really do. Comments and suggestions welcome.

God Bless America!

First of all, you are wrong, the smallest national park in the nation is in Philadelphia.
A Brief History: The Smallest National Park Site : NPR

Secondly, I blame BOTH sides of the aisle for the shutdown and the mess we are in. I also think blind partisanship to either party, the notion that one side is good while the other side is bad is one of the big problems we face in this country and we won't ever move forward as Americans unless we stop demonizing the other side as the enemy. We need a strong alternative to the two party system, both of which are corrupt and ineffective.

The notion that either of these parties have your best interests at heart is a cynical ploy directed at the naive in order to gain votes and keep perpetuating more of the same.

As it is, the majority of citizens are too wrapped up in reality television, the latest gossip about the Kardashians or updating Facebook. The majority of citizens who actually ARE informed and follow the news are wrapped up in blind partisanship and flock to either Fox or MSNBC to listen to talking heads who are only all too eager to stoke their misplaced anger in search of ratings.

I'm sure the powers that be on both sides of the aisle must love that.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:40 PM

367 posts, read 546,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
First of all, you are wrong, the smallest national park in the nation is in Philadelphia.
A Brief History: The Smallest National Park Site : NPR

Secondly, I blame BOTH sides of the aisle for the shutdown and the mess we are in. I also think blind partisanship to either party, the notion that one side is good while the other side is bad is one of the big problems we face in this country and we won't ever move forward as Americans unless we stop demonizing the other side as the enemy. We need a strong alternative to the two party system, both of which are corrupt and ineffective.

The notion that either of these parties have your best interests at heart is a cynical ploy directed at the naive in order to gain votes and keep perpetuating more of the same.

As it is, the majority of citizens are too wrapped up in reality television, the latest gossip about the Kardashians or updating Facebook. The majority of citizens who actually ARE informed and follow the news are wrapped up in blind partisanship and flock to either Fox or MSNBC to listen to talking heads who are only all too eager to stoke their misplaced anger in search of ratings.

I'm sure the powers that be on both sides of the aisle must love that.

As always, voiceofreazon nails it! This post is spot on.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:38 PM

23,619 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody2Mn View Post
As always, voiceofreazon nails it! This post is spot on.
3rd that, couldn't have said it better.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:21 AM

4,420 posts, read 3,201,746 times
I blame both parties for a lot of things....but in this case it's wholly the Republican's fault, or more specifically Boehner's fault for rolling over for the Tea Partiers and not allowing a vote. A lot of Republicans are pretty pissed about it too. The Tea Partiers really need to form their own party instead of hijacking existing ones.

Obama ran with an agenda of reforming health care. The Affordable Health Care passed Congress and he signed it. He was re-elected against a guy who vowed to repeal it if he won. A clear choice. The Republicans in the House have tried to repeal it 42 times, and failed.

They simply don't have the votes and rather than acknowledge failure, they would hold the country hostage. They haven't offered up any other negotiating points other than "repeal Obamacare". That wouldn't be a compromise, it would be a cave-in, a ransom. They haven't suggested any improvements to the bill or any other part of the budget that could be cut. That's not negotiation, that's a tantrum. Sheesh, Cruz keeps changing his mind about what he wants, and now you have Rep. Stutzman saying "We're not going to be disrespected, We have to get something out of this. And I don't know what that even is." You can't negotiate with lunatics who don't even know what they want, and would prefer the government stay closed anyway.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:56 AM

5,793 posts, read 5,113,361 times
Too bad for the beautiful park now that it's closed. But the larger picture is far more important. While I have lots of criticism for both parties, the GOP is definitely headed for extinction when it now has to pander to the extreme fringes like the Tea potheads and religious extremists. The fringes will never be mainstream because most Americans are too educated to be fooled by them for long, and to try to rally a lineup of these motley freaks to get the vote , or worse to obstruct the normal function of government so as to stay relevant, is a perfect recipe for irrelevancy and extinction. Just saying.

The donkeys need to cut out their over-cuddling of useless layabouts and bring some fiscal spending sanity to their policies. But in this case, they can just sit back and watch the GOP basically dig their own graves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island