Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 09:14 PM

4,420 posts, read 3,201,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
These are rental units. I'm not so sure NY real estate investors are going to flock to downtown Providence for the pleasure of getting involved in converting the building into apartments and renting them out at current rental market rates, particularly ones with the disgusting, filthy KP bus terminal as the front yard.

The tax accommodation could easily be made by simply hiking the car tax by 25%, or raising the sales tax. Progress, Holly, has a price.
Define progress.

Is there really a demand for 28 more floors of apts downtown? Seems like the market has been saturated in the last few years. Developers cancelled plans for a skyscraper development at 110 Westminster, those new condos near the train station were leased to Johnson and Wales for dorm space and I still don't think they've filled the 903.

If it's such a viable enterprise, seems like someone who has the money would step up to the plate If it takes dangling a lot of money in front of someone to make them overlook the risk, I'm not sure that's wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 10:09 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,990,019 times
"The tax accommodation could easily be made by simply hiking the car tax by 25%, or raising the sales tax". Given a good number feel stretched to the limit as it is, what pitch would you use to sell people on your extra tax idea?

It's a cool building and I'd hate to see it end up sitting there for years and rotting away, but this guy should have made sure of his funding sources before buying it.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:57 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,057,078 times
I would like to see Granoff take over the Industrial National Bank Building. His tower that he proposed before the recession was to include a hotel and living space. I think this building could accomodate both and business/commercial space. The idea of working on the 10th floor and going home to the 20th floor would be appealing to many. Much is not said about the thousand's of jobs lost at the Hospital Trust Building and Industrial National Bank Building and in total 15000-25000 workers that once were employed downtown or nearby.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
I would like to see Granoff take over the Industrial National Bank Building. His tower that he proposed before the recession was to include a hotel and living space. I think this building could accomodate both and business/commercial space. The idea of working on the 10th floor and going home to the 20th floor would be appealing to many. Much is not said about the thousand's of jobs lost at the Hospital Trust Building and Industrial National Bank Building and in total 15000-25000 workers that once were employed downtown or nearby.

You're right, it would seem a perfect fit for Granoff, and I don't know why anyone isn't considering mixed use. It would make a lot more sense.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:17 PM

8,031 posts, read 4,705,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
My guess is the money it would take to make the building work is far, far beyond what Mr. Granoff would be able to put together. The Industrial Bank Building and Arcade are in entirely different leagues. But, I could be wrong. Anyway kudos to him for restoring the Arcade!

Old 11-02-2013, 04:16 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,597,807 times
Low Income Housing.
Woops, I meant to say No Income Housing.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
My guess is the money it would take to make the building work is far, far beyond what Mr. Granoff would be able to put together. The Industrial Bank Building and Arcade are in entirely different leagues. But, I could be wrong. Anyway kudos to him for restoring the Arcade!
He thought he had the money a few years ago - remember the residential tower he wanted to build next to the Arcade? I think that's why he was suggested.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:27 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,459,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Define progress.

Is there really a demand for 28 more floors of apts downtown? Seems like the market has been saturated in the last few years. Developers cancelled plans for a skyscraper development at 110 Westminster, those new condos near the train station were leased to Johnson and Wales for dorm space and I still don't think they've filled the 903.

If it's such a viable enterprise, seems like someone who has the money would step up to the plate If it takes dangling a lot of money in front of someone to make them overlook the risk, I'm not sure that's wise.
I can't answer your valid questions, sandsonik. Look, I'm a "big picture" guy; I don't get my suit pant cuffs covered in dust figuring out mere details. Message is: FIX IT! It's unacceptable to have such a substantial building vacant.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:05 PM

61 posts, read 85,523 times
My mother worked there in the 1980s, when it was Fleet Bank offices. Every now and then she'd go in on a Saturday, and bring me along. I loved goofing around on the electric typewriter, which felt so damn grown up, at the time.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:26 PM

50 posts, read 98,651 times
Rhode Island is dying. Providence is no longer worth living in. Our government has failed us. Time to pack up and move south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island