Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 03:53 PM

9,298 posts, read 14,916,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesfenimorecooper View Post
Rhode Island is dying. Providence is no longer worth living in. Our government has failed us. Time to pack up and move south.
Yeah... well.... I'm the last of the Mohicans...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 04:18 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,459,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesfenimorecooper View Post
Rhode Island is dying. Providence is no longer worth living in. Our government has failed us. Time to pack up and move south.
Really? Well, I guess that's one person's perspective, but it's not one that I share. I suspect you're a native. To those of us who are new here, it's like, wow! I love just about everything about this city.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,125 times
Yes a
I can understand how a newcomer to Rhode island would like it here. First, I assume you have a job?

Old 11-29-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyn1222 View Post
Yes a
I can understand how a newcomer to Rhode island would like it here. First, I assume you have a job?
That' a very strange question, especially given it's your first post. Yes, I have a very good job, albeit in Boston. But to save on expenses, I live in a cardboard box in Prospect Park and hussle quarters from visiting tourists (rolls eyes).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Old 02-11-2014, 03:49 PM

9,298 posts, read 14,916,355 times
UPDATE:

They're trying it again! Back to the public for money!!!

Who will live in all these apartments? Mostly MA residents who will commute? Why should we subsidize it ???

Inside ‘Superman’ building plan | WPRI 12

Old 02-11-2014, 06:05 PM

8,031 posts, read 4,705,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
UPDATE:

They're trying it again! Back to the public for money!!!

Who will live in all these apartments? Mostly MA residents who will commute? Why should we subsidize it ???

Inside ‘Superman’ building plan | WPRI 12
Here's a couple of generally accepted facts: nothing Is going to fill that building except people living in the space AND it's not going to be renovated without some degree if public money. Now it is the building owner's responsibility to put the solution together. Good luck to him!

Old 02-11-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Here's a couple of generally accepted facts: nothing Is going to fill that building except people living in the space AND it's not going to be renovated without some degree if public money. Now it is the building owner's responsibility to put the solution together. Good luck to him!
Agreed 100%.

But... Oh, no, the solution is simple! Pour $50-$100 million into a highly speculative cloverleaf development on the water, with 80% of it covered in clover and parking and fuggetaboutit downtown! WHAT COULD GO WRONG! I mean, this city clealry knows how to wisely invest in our future!

So long as the lantern shines on the Superman building, even if vacant, all is right with the world! Just don''t obscure my view of the river!

Yawn. It's that sort of provincial East Side "thinking" that's led to the stunning decline of this city. If I wanted bad planning/bad development, I'd swiftly pack my kit and move back to Manhattan, which may not be a bad idea, as this sort of nonsense is an everyday occurrence here. I mean, let's defy every known concept of urban development, let's forget about the many "missing teeth" of downtown and instead focus on a shiny, if utterly ephemeral new object!

Wanted/Needed: new thinking. The old folks have screwed up enough, thank you.

Last edited by AlfieBoy; 02-11-2014 at 10:20 PM..

Old 02-12-2014, 05:36 AM

The only option that should be out of the question is to tear the Superman Building down, as has been recently suggested by Rhode Island economist Mazze. It's not much of an overstatement to say this iconic historic building IS Downtown Providence.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
The only option that should be out of the question is to tear the Superman Building down, as has been recently suggested by Rhode Island economist Mazze. It's not much of an overstatement to say this iconic historic building IS Downtown Providence.
Quote:
Mazze continued, "Whatever High Rock market studies have shown in the past, private investors do not see the opportunities as the building owner. This is the message that legislators should be hearing. The solution may be to tear down the building.
This creature is a barbarian and he should not be allowed around impressionable college students. Animal.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
This creature is a barbarian and he should not be allowed around impressionable college students. Animal.
As much as Mazze acts as a conservative shill, he does usually bring balance to the Rhode Island economic conversation. But, in this case he's way off base and demonstrates he knows little about what makes the heart and soul of a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island