Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 07:06 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,999,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
And, before you start in on political corruption- be aware that every state experiences its share of the same.
And over half the country experiences more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 07:20 PM

22 posts, read 52,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Why all the invective spewed at someone who dislikes Rhode Island? Aren't people entitled to adore/detest any state? So this person hates Rhode Island, why get so riled up over it?
My guess? The person is a life long Rhody resident with no life (why else haunt a city-data forum?) who takes big issue with anyone who doesn't LOOOVE the state. Other people can't have an opinion that isn't pro Rhode Island I guess.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
The very origin of this thread spews invective dude. "Rhode Island YUCK - what curse brought me here." No one, and I mean no one, posts that on a Rhode Island forum without knowing there will be all sorts of visceral reactions. C'mon. They practically invited my critique.

Besides, why all the hang ups about someone who disagrees? So I disagree, get over it!
Well. Your disagreement was pretty harsh, really. I pointed out some things that I didn't like about the state and you had an internet hissy. My biggest issue with the state, when all was said and done, was the rudeness of the natives. I honestly couldn't tell if people were being rude or just had a terse way of talking. But I'm guessing, from the LOVELY and KIND responses that I've gotten about my OPINION of their GRAND state, that it was just rudeness.

I had originally brought up the tourism bit because I willing to try to attribute the rudeness to outsiders to a lack of being around outsiders. I was trying to give the good people of RI the benefit of the doubt. Because people who aren't used to non-Rhode Islanders are bound to be a bit weird toward them, yeah? But apparently tourism is fantastic in your state. There goes that hypothesis.

The racism wasn't so awesome to deal with either. I was told on a couple of occasions that hispanics were "taking our jobs". Which..really. Which jobs? Doctor? Lawyer? Brain surgeon? For craps sake. Try living in an area where people say that to you and see how well you like it.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdness View Post
My guess? The person is a life long Rhody resident with no life (why else haunt a city-data forum?) who takes big issue with anyone who doesn't LOOOVE the state. Other people can't have an opinion that isn't pro Rhode Island I guess.
Aaaaactually...if you really think about it: It makes a hell of a lot more sense to be "haunting" this forum if you actually live here. It seems a little bitter to be here just to spew hatred when you're no longer even here.

And I already told you: I have only been here 9 years. Before this I lived in Florida for 25. And I've traveled to other countries. So yeah, not a life long Rhode Islandah. (Although there's nothing wrong with that!)

Old 11-24-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Right. But there's a difference between not enjoying it and denying it's even there altogether. The OP claimed there was nothing but Italian food here. Now come on Roscoe. You're a true Rhode Islander. You know there's plenty of different types of great food. That's one universal truth almost everyone tends to agree with. This is the first guy I've heard contest that, and I wasn't about to let it go.

I entirely agree. But the assertions made by the haters on this board are always framed as if they're just referencing Conventional Wisdom, and they're made with such a stark finality that they need to be challenged wholeheartedly. If you think I have too much conviction in my preference for facts over inaccuracies, then so be it. That's a badge I'll wear with pride. Oh, and by the way: Every place has its good and bad points. You're not going to find a place that does not have an "underbelly". I would simply argue that Rhode Island's good points outweigh the bad because of how extraordinary they are. The bad stuff is ubiquitous across the spectrum of this great country. (And in many ways we have less of it.) It's the good stuff here that is so special.

No, you would think Providence avoided Bankruptcy. Which is how I prefer to look at it. You know, from a realistic perspective. You remind me of my Mom who was fretting after the election that Romney almost won. (Which itself is debatable.) "But he COULD have!" "But he didn't!" Accept the more positive outcome and move on. Don't needlessly dwell on a negative parallel reality that never was. I can't think of anything more counterproductive or more needlessly stressful.

How exactly did I deny anybody an "opportunity"? This is a message board. Sometimes folks debate. Nobody's denying anyone anything. Unless I somehow gain the ability to start censoring other people's posts, I won't gain the ability to obstruct anyone's discourse any time soon.

NEXT!

There wasn't a lot of non-Italian food in WARWICK. Oh wait. There was the gazillion dunkin dounuts. Or! I could drive 30 minutes to Providence, pay for parking or hunt for it on the street and then get some okay food. If that is what you are used to then there is no problem with it. If you're used to being close to great dining and being surrounded by polite people then ..yeah.

The good points outweigh the bad if you are from there. Rhode Island honestly felt like a giant little town where just about everyone knew one another, and if you were of the 'brethren' then you would have a fine time there. People from CT or MA also seemed to be accepted. Try coming from another part of the country - it's a culture shock. Just like if you went into Hicksville Georgia population 102 and tried to start a life you would find that people didn't take kindly to you and you'd probably start a thread on this forum with the title "Hicksville GA sucks donkey balls" or something and then complain about the rude townfolk and all the BBQ places.

I'm glad that you enjoy living there. Seriously. It's awesome that you have found the perfect place to live. I'm still looking for it.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Oh no! You have to drive ALL the way to PROVIDENCE. (Which by the way has an Ethiopian joint on the Eastside, and North Providence and Warwick both have Brazilian joints. Not to mention Warwick actually has some great restaurants.)

So yeah, I guess we're all jerks. What a sound, air tight, non generalization to make. I sure take your argument seriously when you paint with a broad brush like that.
You're being a jerk. A lot of people I dealt with were jerks. How am I generalizing?

Old 11-24-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Well. Your disagreement was pretty harsh, really. I pointed out some things that I didn't like about the state and you had an internet hissy. My biggest issue with the state, when all was said and done, was the rudeness of the natives. I honestly couldn't tell if people were being rude or just had a terse way of talking. But I'm guessing, from the LOVELY and KIND responses that I've gotten about my OPINION of their GRAND state, that it was just rudeness.

I had originally brought up the tourism bit because I willing to try to attribute the rudeness to outsiders to a lack of being around outsiders. I was trying to give the good people of RI the benefit of the doubt. Because people who aren't used to non-Rhode Islanders are bound to be a bit weird toward them, yeah? But apparently tourism is fantastic in your state. There goes that hypothesis.

The racism wasn't so awesome to deal with either. I was told on a couple of occasions that hispanics were "taking our jobs". Which..really. Which jobs? Doctor? Lawyer? Brain surgeon? For craps sake. Try living in an area where people say that to you and see how well you like it.
My disagreement was "harsh"? Says who? Can you hear my tone of voice? Can you see my facial expressions? Of course not. You're projecting.

You brought up the (false) idea that we don't get much tourism, when actually the fact is we do. End of story.

In all seriousness, racism isn't cool. But to pretend that the South is a bastion of anti-racist harmony while Rhode Island is a breeding ground for it is laughable on its face. Do we really need to hash that out? Really?

Old 11-24-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
You're being a jerk. A lot of people I dealt with were jerks. How am I generalizing?
I just informed you we have two types of cuisine that you confidently asserted we don't have. If that makes me the jerk, what does it make you? haha

Way too many "feelings" and not enough FACTS.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
I'm glad that you enjoy living there. Seriously. It's awesome that you have found the perfect place to live. I'm still looking for it.
No you're not. You're abjectly complaining about a place we both know you will likely never return to. Maybe you should start looking!

Old 11-24-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
What stands out to me is that people make easy assumptions about the ENTIRE STATE from one or two experiences or only one perspective.

Yes, we are small, but practically every other state is judged by its individual cities or towns.

Really people, you can't judge Newport from an experience in Central Falls or Tiverton from living in Warwick. And, before you start in on political corruption- be aware that every state experiences its share of the same.

I worked in many cities within Rhode Island. The encounters were just about all the same - there wasn't a lot of friendliness. And you know? Every Rhode Islander that has responded to my comments has been rude. Soooooo. Hmm.

But since every Rhode Islander with a computer is crying because I didn't like their state right now (apparently), here are a few things I liked about it:

- The parks were beautiful.

- The college areas were very nice, and it was interesting to see buildings dating back to the 1600s.

- Y'all have that one big mall. It's big. Yep.

- No one tried to stab me when I walked downtown. Woo!

- The summer weather was pretty nice.

- Lots of boats.

- I saw a chipmunk there once. That was cool.

- That tavern place downtown was good - I liked their beers.

- Stuffies are tasty.

Wipe yer tears fellas! I'm sure some people will like your state, but others will not. I happen to fall into the latter group. It's expensive, mean, and gah the snow. Overall, I didn't like the Northeast. Feel better now RI? Chin up.

In the meantime I'm going to enjoy my endless sunny days here in California where the median temperature has been sitting in the high 60s-low 70s for the past few weeks. Where people say please, thank you, and how are you -- even if you don't know them or are related to them! Where groceries are affordable and where parks are just as beautiful as any in Rhode Island. And I'll enjoy how no one is giving me the shifty eye because of my last name. And you know what? In my heart of hearts I will be thankful every day that I no longer live in Rhode Island.

NEXT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island