Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 09:39 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,183,149 times

Advertisements

Is something missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 12:33 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Absolutely true. They see with fresh eyes and unprejudiced minds and don't base comments on decades long past.
I just don't understand the bitterness! I mean , for 55 plus years, Rhody was the cat'so meow. Now, downstream 15 plus years, it's not. I don't know. I had one bad relationship in my life and when it was behind me, I never looked back. Unlike some people I didn't go back and back and back to diss the guy. I moved happily on. It is this paradox that raises all manner of confliction. Why the FIFTEEN YEAR retrospective?

Old 10-07-2015, 04:19 PM

10,023 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Why the FIFTEEN YEAR retrospective?
I lived in a town in Mass. 20+ years ago. I still warn people away.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:16 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I lived in a town in Mass. 20+ years ago. I still warn people away.
I still think it is odd that I've never lived in a place where I couldn't find a positive aspect. Even when I was dirt poor and living in a rooming house in Easthampton, MA. There's always SOMETHING positive about an area. Even if the negatives, in one's own particular mind, outweigh the positives, I find that I am much happier concentrating on the good, rather than the bad.

RI - corrupt, overpopulated, and crappy weather? Sure. But, RI - historical and picturesque? Absolutely. Maybe it's a mindset.. I dunno. I just didn't see the bad. Or, rather, didn't FOCUS on the bad (other than the crappy weather, of course)

Old 10-07-2015, 07:12 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I still think it is odd that I've never lived in a place where I couldn't find a positive aspect. Even when I was dirt poor and living in a rooming house in Easthampton, MA. There's always SOMETHING positive about an area. Even if the negatives, in one's own particular mind, outweigh the positives, I find that I am much happier concentrating on the good, rather than the bad.
I totally agree with you. Not only have I liked every place I've ever lived, I've liked something about every place I've ever visited, except maybe Nebraska, there wasn't really any redeeming value there.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:45 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I totally agree with you. Not only have I liked every place I've ever lived, I've liked something about every place I've ever visited, except maybe Nebraska, there wasn't really any redeeming value there.
Au contraire! If you're a fan of the reuben sandwich, you can go to Omaha (where the reuben was invented) on March 14th every year for Reuben Sandwich Day! That is a redeeming value right there!

Old 10-08-2015, 12:40 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Got to disagree, Lincoln is a pretty place, an island of some culture and home to University of Nebraska-Lincoln, some 20,000 students surrounded by yawning miles and miles of endless cornfields.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderman
still think it is odd that I've never lived in a place where I couldn't find a positive aspect. Even when I was dirt poor and living in a rooming house in Easthampton, MA. There's always SOMETHING positive about an area. Even if the negatives, in one's own particular mind, outweigh the positives, I find that I am much happier concentrating on the good, rather than the bad.
Try OKC.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:03 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,982 times
Quote:
Got to disagree, Lincoln is a pretty place, an island of some culture and home to University of Nebraska-Lincoln, some 20,000 students surrounded by yawning miles and miles of endless cornfields.
I actually almost mentioned that Lincoln looked like it may have been OK, but I only saw it from the highway, so I can't really say.

Quote:
Try OKC.
I liked OKC! Was there on a business trip with a bunch of co-workers, who made the mistake of giving me the responsibility to pick a spot for dinner. I said, "There is no way I'm coming to Oklahoma City and not going to Toby Keith's I Love This Bar and Grill." (At the time it was the only location, though I just checked and now the only locations are oddly in Foxborough, Chicago and suburban Detroit.) Bricktown was a lot of fun -- they did a great job ripping off San Antonio's River Walk. I ordered maybe the only sandwich I've ever had that I was unable to finish because it was too much food.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:12 PM

822 posts, read 858,045 times
Quote:

RI - corrupt, overpopulated, and crappy weather? Sure. But, RI - historical and picturesque? Absolutely. Maybe it's a mindset.. I dunno. I just didn't see the bad. Or, rather, didn't FOCUS on the bad (other than the crappy weather, of course)
I happen to like the "crappy weather" .. just because we dont have 365 days of sunshine (I lived with that ... hated it) doesnt mean the weather is crappy (to me anyway) The past 6 months have been gorgeous ... and as much as people ***** and moan about rain and snow ... we NEED it .. keeps things green and keeps our reservoirs full .. (you see the problems Cali is dealing with because of all that sunshine). I cant stand when people complain about Rhody constantly ...so much negativity. either leave or try to fix the problems you complain about . RI has its problems of course, like anywhere else, but there are places that are FAR worse ..

Old 10-08-2015, 03:24 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:

When you're ready to retire though, you can choose to live anywhere for any reason. You didn't retire, yet you chose to live where it evidently suits you best for whatever reason. You may even choose to leave Nevada at some point; it's a free country. A very high percentage of RI'ers move to FL for example; and then move half-way back to the Carolinas for the weather and low cost of living. Many of their families follow them. Just read the ProJo obits, they are full of notices of RI'ers who left, never came back, and spent the rest of their lives in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island