Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 06:19 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
According to the article, it's because the plates need to conform with new branding developed as part of "the governor's new $5 million statewide tourism initiative," which I'm all for. I was just thinking over the weekend that this state needs to pour a bunch of money into tourism. Every license plate is potentially an ad for the state and consistent brand image is important, so this sounds like a good idea to me.
Have you ever, even ONCE, visited a state using the catalyst of a license plate? No? Not once?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 06:20 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
No, the issue is that Gina is scrapping the 2013 change - all paid for and ready to go - in favor of going back to the drawing board. Much in the same way she's scrapping the entire "Discover Beautiful Rhode Island" campaign, including the 15 highway signs that cost $790 million to install only 15 months ago.
15 highway signs cost $790 Million???? And you wonder why the state is in trouble?

Old 08-24-2015, 06:39 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,183,149 times
$790 thousand, and for seven signs, not 15. Sorry, brain malfunction.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:38 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,982 times
At the risk of coming off like too much of a knee-jerk Gina defender here, "Discover Beautiful Rhode Island" is kind of a weak slogan. Lots of states are beautiful. What makes Rhode Island distinct from every other state? That's something a marketing firm is going to need to figure out.

Check out this ranking of 43 state tourism slogans:

Tourism Slogans

Of course, Rhode Island was one of the seven states that didn't respond to the site's request (after visiting the tourism sites of the other six, I suspect it's the only one that has a slogan and still didn't respond), but it's easy to see that "Discover Beautiful Rhode Island" would have ranked firmly near the bottom. Assuming I agreed with the site's other rankings, I'd probably slot Rhody fourth to last, right before Montana's misguided "Get Lost" and two above the slogan it resembles the most, Minnesota's generic "Explore Minnesota."

I do like the graphic design a lot. And the highway signs look like a million bucks, even if they only cost $790,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Have you ever, even ONCE, visited a state using the catalyst of a license plate? No? Not once?
Solely because of the license plate? No. As a contributing factor? Sure. Rhode Island, for one. I've been saying the wave plate is my favorite state license plate for probably more than 10 years. Consciously or subconsciously, it contributed to the image I had of the state. I think I was positively influenced by South Carolina's before I visited, too.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:31 PM

3,799 posts, read 2,696,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
If Idaho's "Famous Potatoes" doesn't draw you in, perhaps nothing will. Actually, I think the Mass. slogan "Spirit of America" is a particularly brilliant marketing blurb, if (possibly) inaccurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
At the risk of coming off like too much of a knee-jerk Gina defender here, "Discover Beautiful Rhode Island" is kind of a weak slogan. Lots of states are beautiful. What makes Rhode Island distinct from every other state? That's something a marketing firm is going to need to figure out.
I respectfully disagree. It's elegant. To me it is a *touch* reminiscent of Oregon's "Pacific Wonderland" from the early 60s (somewhat recently revived on a commemorative plate). While not as wonderful, to be sure, the present RI slogan does have a simple beauty to it like the state it attempts to represent.

They haven't even given this marketing campaign a chance to prove itself winner or loser. Why throw money at this now?

Quote:
I'd probably slot Rhody fourth to last, right before Montana's misguided "Get Lost" and two above the slogan it resembles the most, Minnesota's generic "Explore Minnesota."
Wow, I rather like the Montana slogan, in an odd sort of way. It sort of sums up a few of my enjoyable experiences there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
Did you know that factually the GENERAL ASSEMBLY is requiring the change and THIS CHANGE happened in 2013? The only thing Gina is doing is getting us a better design. Also GINA Isn't spending any money on this...it is user fees and set up to create $4.8 million in REVENUE for the state.

R.I. waves goodbye to old license plates, says hello to high-tech design / Poll - News - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI
No, that is old news, as MP775 points out. See the article I linked.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:18 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I respectfully disagree. It's elegant. To me it is a *touch* reminiscent of Oregon's "Pacific Wonderland" from the early 60s (somewhat recently revived on a commemorative plate). While not as wonderful, to be sure, the present RI slogan does have a simple beauty to it like the state it attempts to represent.
You know what, in retrospect, I don't disagree with you. There is something to be said for the simplicity. The logo helps a lot, I think -- it wouldn't work arranged horizontally in some plain font. The fact that it's square was a smart move in the age of social media. And like I said, I'm a huge sucker for the highway signs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: