Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2014, 09:20 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neguy99 View Post
It isn't even "abuse" from the state's perspective. Right on the TDI website the state makes clear that if you can't work for medical reasons (for more than a few days), you should apply for TDI -- even if you are out on paid sick leave, even if you have disability insurance from your employer, etc. You qualify for RI TDI on top of all other income and disability coverage you have - and it's tax free.
Well then that needs to change. TDI places a huge burden on the individuals and employers, and when it goes beyond its original intention then it should be scaled back to make it more affordable. It's just one of the many things making RI a poor place to do business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 11:23 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,203,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
What happens when an employee is out sick for a day, how is he usually backfilled? Oh that's right, another employee is called in and gets time and a half for the overtime he works! That is costing the taxpayer far more than the few cents or whatever he increases his pension by with the unused sick time.
The other employee shouldn't be getting time and a half for starters because that employee is already being paid the regularly daily wage. No reason for any extra.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
The other employee shouldn't be getting time and a half for starters because that employee is already being paid the regularly daily wage. No reason for any extra.
What are you talking about! It's standard practice everywhere to receive time and a half for hours over 40!

There's also no reason not to hire illegals at $3/hour going by your logic. My guess is you do just that, and should probably be reported.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:46 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,458,099 times
Quote:
What are you talking about! It's standard practice everywhere to receive time and a half for hours over 40!

There's also no reason not to hire illegals at $3/hour going by your logic. My guess is you do just that, and should probably be reported.
Let me help you out here, as you're walking on unfamiliar terrain: Professionals are exempt, meaning no overtime, no pay, no nothing beyond 40hrs. Sure, the schleps that deliver the inter-office mail or the clerk at the DMV might get OT, but managers do not enjoy this benefit.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Let me help you out here, as you're walking on unfamiliar terrain: Professionals are exempt, meaning no overtime, no pay, no nothing beyond 40hrs. Sure, the schleps that deliver the inter-office mail or the clerk at the DMV might get OT, but managers do not enjoy this benefit.
I didn't realize we were talking management here? I suggest reading through the rest of the thread before you make an off post sounding like a dimwit. The police officer, firefighter, DPW worker, etc. who bangs in sick is replaced by staff paid as time and a half. Fact.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:58 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,593,450 times
In the private sector, Alfie is right.. so many managers, engineers, titled professionals
really do get taken advantage of. It is common for them to work 50-60 hours per week
without additional compensation beyond their normal salary.
I don't think that's right.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:03 PM

4,402 posts, read 3,197,140 times
Quote:
jma is just talking about the way it is in the real world. There isn't time and a half when someone calls in, they just suck it up and cover both jobs.

And actually, it's not standard practice to receive time and a half for hours over 40 unless you're an hourly employee.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:05 PM

4,402 posts, read 3,197,140 times
Quote:
I didn't realize we were talking management here?.
LOL, you don't have to be management to be salaried, ie exempt.

Just like it's not standard to be allowed to work over 40 hours if you're hourly.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:54 PM

548 posts, read 816,543 times
It's not at all uncommon for shift workers to be hourly, not just "schleps" but e.g., in manufacturing. As a salaried professional myself, yeah I get the "work until your work is done" approach, but how does that work for a firefighter or a cop? Their job is basically to be in place and waiting for calls during a certain shift. It's not like they can just work harder and catch up during their next shift; the fires already happened or they didn't. Likewise, if one teacher calls out sick, the teacher across the hall can't just "man/woman-up" and be in both classrooms at the same time.

I certainly won't defend the abuses hourly cops and firefighters; there was that falsifyied overtime scheme by some PVD cops not long ago, and I can still get worked up about Boston cops blowing off their scheduled testimony in rape and murder cases because they decided to work an overtime shift instead, resulting in suspects being let free. But there's a lot of "this is how it works for me and so it should be for all" going on here.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:20 PM

47 posts, read 39,126 times
Everyone here is talking about spending practices whether it's the state or otherwise. This post started as to why I do not trust Gina Raimondo. Responses have ranged from the I agree to having no sympathy for what she did with pensions.

I am not certain what Bob Healy is talking about in regard to "we need to change things right from the foundation" and if what is bothersome to people (as evidenced in these discussions) are part of "change", I'd like to know how anyone is going to do that as governor. What is more perplexing to me is why anyone desires a continuation of what we already have and that includes Fung. "Balance" does not seem to be a desire of anyone voting in RI. It seems to be more "positioning". What did a legitimate gubernatorial candidate have to say and demonstrate to win the appeal of the overall RI voter and not an interest group such as unions, nationalities or people expecting entitlement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island