Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 02:23 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times

Advertisements

It depends on the complexes, residents and the location most of all. Some are really not that bad. Others? Bad. Crap shoot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 08:29 AM

156 posts, read 438,985 times
Back to the topic at hand - I for one plan to move back to Massachusetts at some point in large part because Rhode Island taxes retirement income. If they changed the law there is a decent chance my wife and I would stay. Long term I wouldn't be surprised if changing this law generated more income for the state due to people who think like me (which is to say with their income in mind) and continue to spend most of their money here and pay property and sales taxes.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:50 PM

9,291 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkins86 View Post
Back to the topic at hand - I for one plan to move back to Massachusetts at some point in large part because Rhode Island taxes retirement income. If they changed the law there is a decent chance my wife and I would stay. Long term I wouldn't be surprised if changing this law generated more income for the state due to people who think like me (which is to say with their income in mind) and continue to spend most of their money here and pay property and sales taxes.
It would be interesting to see an analysis. So far, all I've seen is that it would cost the state 25 million.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:26 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,289,095 times
We left RI almost 5 years ago because of the taxed Social Security benefits and the taxed pension policies in RI. Not everyone in this economy has been able to stash enough money to live comfortably in RI as a retiree. I for one hope they change this policy. I believe many more RI'ders would stay in RI if our retirement benefits weren't taxed. The winter weather is a deterrent to staying for some but I don't think it's the primary reason people relocate..it's the high expense in general for people living on a fixed income.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:45 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,700,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkins86 View Post
I think the main impact of not taxing retirees would be that the back-and-forth Snow Birds would change their residency back to Rhode Island. I don't know how much actual income that would bring back to the state. As for the change causing retirees to stay in RI, rather than moving to where it's warm, I don't know?

Old 11-14-2014, 04:49 AM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
PROVIDENCE — House Speaker Nicholas Mattiello on Thursday named as one of his top 2015 legislative priorities the exemption of “all pension and retirement income†— including Social Security benefits — from the state income tax.
If enacted, Rhode Island would join 27 other states, including Massachusetts and Maine, and the District of Columbia that exempt Social Security income from taxation.

Finally someone gets it. It will possibly keep multi homed retirees as Rhode Island citizens without having to become legal residents of Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina and other favorite states Rhode Islanders like to share their living with. Yes, this is just part of the equation to keep middle class retirees as Rhode Island residents.

YEY!! from your Floridian friend!

Old 11-14-2014, 05:57 AM

156 posts, read 438,985 times
Well not only are you losing people like me who leave the state due to taxes on retirement income but you also lose folks who choose not to move to Rhode Island when they retire and end up elsewhere.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:19 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
I live in Providence. Three of my neighbors retired this year. They all spent the fall readying their houses to be sold in the spring.

All three are headed south. Two to South Carolina, one to Florida.

One of my co-workers retired from the Pawtucket school department last February. Though she lives in the burbs.....Florida is on her radar screen.

Another co-worker (on her second career) who is a State retiree along with her husband - don't want to stay in the RI burbs either. Tired of RI politics, tired of the winter and tired of their property taxes going through the roof. When I showed her husband my tax statement from my new retirement home in NC........he just about stroked out. New house, 2500 sq ft, .55 acre lot, inground salt water pool, golf course home with taxes of $1688 per year. Electric rates .10 kwh......low heating costs because it doesn't get that cold.........

Fact is, your retirement dollars go farther living somewhere else than RI.. and the rest of the Northeast for that matter.

Today's seniors approaching retirement are healthier, better educated and more active. They are also wealthier than the past senior populations. And some of us would like to have an estate to pass on to those we will leave behind.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:33 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,289,095 times
And for the young to middle age people who don't like to hear any negative talk about their beloved state..it is just a reality that retired people leave RI because it's just not affordable. I don't hate RI..my roots are there..my family is there..but I feel we had no option. It's actually very sad that the RI general assembly hasn't been able to see this problem for many years. Hopefully things will change.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:00 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,458,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
I live in Providence. Three of my neighbors retired this year. They all spent the fall readying their houses to be sold in the spring.

All three are headed south. Two to South Carolina, one to Florida.

One of my co-workers retired from the Pawtucket school department last February. Though she lives in the burbs.....Florida is on her radar screen.

Another co-worker (on her second career) who is a State retiree along with her husband - don't want to stay in the RI burbs either. Tired of RI politics, tired of the winter and tired of their property taxes going through the roof. When I showed her husband my tax statement from my new retirement home in NC........he just about stroked out. New house, 2500 sq ft, .55 acre lot, inground salt water pool, golf course home with taxes of $1688 per year. Electric rates .10 kwh......low heating costs because it doesn't get that cold.........

Fact is, your retirement dollars go farther living somewhere else than RI.. and the rest of the Northeast for that matter.

Today's seniors approaching retirement are healthier, better educated and more active. They are also wealthier than the past senior populations. And some of us would like to have an estate to pass on to those we will leave behind.
Just curious: were taxes eliminated on all retirement income, as would you stay in RI, or would you leave anyway because of the weather? I mean, taxes can be eliminated, but winter can't. As IM stated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
I think the main impact of not taxing retirees would be that the back-and-forth Snow Birds would change their residency back to Rhode Island. I don't know how much actual income that would bring back to the state. As for the change causing retirees to stay in RI, rather than moving to where it's warm, I don't know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island