Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2015, 05:45 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times

Advertisements

I would much rather see it placed to de-industrialize the Allen's Ave area than to use designated park land from I195. Allen's Ave is very proximate to downtown and it would benefit Edgewood to be better tied in to new development that is not overly industrial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 05:53 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,184,013 times
There are plenty of ways to get rid of the "mess." Any developer would love to put hotels or condos there. The problem(?) is that it's not blight; it's still a functioning industrial waterfront. It's hard to kick out industries when jobs are a primary concern for the state. It's also not a location for the "destination" stadium the new owners want.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
The ownership has done a really good job of staying on message that Pawtucket is not on the table. You are in Pawtucket; would you rather have them in Rhode Island, or see them go out of state? Does it depend on the price tag for you?
I don't care, because I have no intention on going to a "destination" stadium. McCoy works because it's family friendly, not a bar with a baseball game going on inside it. That's why I've been to McCoy hundreds of times and Fenway zero. I am a bit miffed that $20 million of state money went into renovating the stadium just 15 years ago and the state is so willing to allow McCoy to be off the table.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:05 AM

3,799 posts, read 2,698,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
The Cianci idea may be worth consideration. The Allens Av. area has always been blighted and a stadium there may be one of the only ways to ever get rid of the mess. The unsightly area is also very visible from the highway and is waterside.
Yes, the Allens Ave area is an eyesore. There seems to be a chasm between Cianci's view of the waterfront along Allens Ave., and the Elorza administration's view. Elorza and co. are for a working port and the scrap yards seem to be a part of that plan, such as it is. Having a working waterfront is necessary, though I don't know that it needs to extend as close to downtown Providence as it does. There was something on Greater City Providence about this circa the Nov. election.

We haven't heard all the options yet. The new ownership said there are other potential sites; I would like to hear about them. I'm not in favor of giving them their first choice.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:03 PM

4,405 posts, read 3,197,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I would much rather see it placed to de-industrialize the Allen's Ave area than to use designated park land from I195. Allen's Ave is very proximate to downtown and it would benefit Edgewood to be better tied in to new development that is not overly industrial.
I'm not sure why you'd want to de-industrialize Allens Ave. Isn't the usual complaint that RI has too few industrial jobs? On the other hand, hospitality jobs, we have plenty of those.

A working waterfront may not be a pretty thing, but it's a good thing.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:34 PM

First you say

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
If it goes on Allens Avenue in the scrapyards, it's no longer a downtown stadium and may as well stay in Pawtucket.
and then...

Quote:
I don't care, because I have no intention on going to a "destination" stadium. McCoy works because it's family friendly, not a bar with a baseball game going on inside it. That's why I've been to McCoy hundreds of times and Fenway zero. I am a bit miffed that $20 million of state money went into renovating the stadium just 15 years ago and the state is so willing to allow McCoy to be off the table.
I think even if the new ownership group were to keep the team in Pawtucket, as unlikely as that is, they would make it a "destination stadium." So they are losing you as a customer, regardless.

I agree with you about the $20 million of state money to rehab the stadium, but I don't know if you (We!) should be miffed at the new ownership group or the state officials who agreed to pour $20M in and lease the stadium to the team for $1/year, apparently without a backup plan. Can that figure really be accurate??? Was there an early termination clause with a penalty to make the state taxpayers whole in the event the team leaves the stadium? Somebody should be held accountable, either the new ownership group or the people that signed the taxpayers up for a lousy deal without a plan B. Now, I know the new owners didn't negotiate the deal for McCoy, but they are responsible to make good on the contractual terms nonetheless. Can we say the same for the "leaders" who handed over $20 million?

Old 03-16-2015, 07:27 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Economists: Stadium in Providence wouldn't be economic boon | Boston Herald

Old 03-25-2015, 10:50 AM

Now the pedestrian bridge over the river is on hold because we have to wait and see if Gina is going to give the land away to Lucchino & Co. - Long-planned walkway over Providence River held up again - News - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI

Old 03-25-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Now the pedestrian bridge over the river is on hold because we have to wait and see if Gina is going to give the land away to Lucchino & Co. - Long-planned walkway over Providence River held up again - News - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI
Nice catch. If it is true that the pedestrian bridge design is so far along that community input can't be heard, but wealthy welfare-receiving royalty can hold things up, then that is disgusting. I am hopeful that our new, shiny leaders are above such pecuniary influence. Speaker Mattiello says we need to move forward. Let him prove that it is a new day in Rhode Island by standing with the people.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:19 AM

There have already been public meetings on the bridge design - http://www.gcpvd.org/tag/pedestrian-bridge/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island