Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2008, 10:52 AM

158 posts, read 543,849 times

Advertisements

I am planning to visit Provdence in Feb. for 4 days. I need some time to relax, so I'll be alone and staying at Biltmore Hotel without car. Need suggestions on what to do. I would like to visit some museums, maybe a theater. Is there any kind of public transportation there or I'll have to take a cab everywhere?

Also planning to visit Red Door Spa in the hotel for half-day treatment. Does anyone have any reviews? Any special treatment I should try?

This is my very first visit to Providence and RI, so I am clueless. If you have any helpful links, I'll be grateful.

thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 12:25 PM

3 posts, read 14,782 times
Default Going to Providence

Nazira, if you are staying at the Biltmore hotel you will not ever need a car to hit most of Providence's high points. It is a compact walkable city with a vibrant alternative nightlife, spectacular restaurants, and amazing live music and theater venues. The few things that are probably not walkable can be easily reached by the excellent trolley system. Every time I go back to Providence (nearly every month although I live in Florida) it is more diverse and more dynamic.

I recommend:

the RISD Museum of Fine Art on College Hill.

Gracie's Restaurant downtown or Chez Pascal on the East Side for a 5 star world class meal

Almost anywhere on Wickenden Street/Fox Point for a cheap and excellent ethnic meal: cambodian, vietnamese, japanese, indian, vegan, korean, new american, etc. Plus numerous live music venues.

The Federal Hill area is renowned for its Italian-American restaurants, pastry shops, and public squares. Unpretentious and friendly.

Grab a free copy of the Providence Phoenix, the local alternative newspaper as soon as you arrive so you can get the latest listings for clubs, live music, theater, independent movie nights at Brown University or other things going on. There is something amazing happening almost every night.

Have a wonderful time!

Frederick
fwright@myself.com

Old 01-28-2008, 07:51 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,179,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazira View Post
I am planning to visit Provdence in Feb. for 4 days. I need some time to relax, so I'll be alone and staying at Biltmore Hotel without car. Need suggestions on what to do. I would like to visit some museums, maybe a theater. Is there any kind of public transportation there or I'll have to take a cab everywhere?
You might think about renting a car and driving down to scenic Bristol, RI for an afternoon. Even in winter its a nice spot.

Hemenway's (note the spelling: not the same as the famous author) is a downtown restaurant noted for it's seafood.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:17 AM

158 posts, read 543,849 times
Thank you for suggestions!

I will arrive via Amtrak train. Google maps tells me it's 0.5 miles from Biltmore hotel. Are those streets walkable? I would love to walk to the hotel if it's not very cold instead of taking a taxi.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:15 PM

166 posts, read 705,775 times
Default Prov

Downtown Providence is very walkable. Bring your most comfortable sneakers though because it's very hilly... especially if you walk up to the East Side. From the train station to the Biltmore is about a five minute walk. Don't forget to have a Del's lemonade (might be hard to find in the winter actually).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island